PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

This school provides a nurturing environment for the students beginning with preschool. I have watched several teachers spend extra hours to help students who were struggling. The motto is Be Smart, Be Kind. That's a great goal for all ages.

Trial day and my son was left in wet jeans. The aftercare personel even said he had an accident today. They put his jeans on him with no underwear. Needless to say my son was in the same jeans and his area was raw. I was questioned like I didnt bring a change a clothing- yet I brought him 2 pairs of under pants and 2 pairs of clothing. Their reply was he should be potty trained. Not sorry we left your son in wet pants. Also was told they cant afford to change children - that is why tuition is low. I am sorry to have to leave this review. The aftercare lady was rude during this time. She looked at me and was telling me he needs to be potty trained. I did not feel a warm and fuzzy. She looked like she smokes a million cigarettes a day ! Very rough and unprofessional demeaner. As far as Dr. Kersey- nice man yet the school failed me on day one. The school needs more lighting and my sons class was closet sized and looked junky. After apologizing- they said my son could come back. No way! I was a former student and I was very disappointed in this experience. It is my experience- not yours. Not doing this to hurt the school but sure hope the woman who was a teachers aide who was observing my son playing in wet pants- would be diciplined. How can you sit and watch any kid with urine on them and not ask the parent did you bring clothing. I was a phone call away. The bag was full of clothing! I was going to let it go as just a bad first day of getting familiar with my sons bag. But after the rough looking teachers aide jumped in my face saying he needed to be potth trained and instead of apologies they applied tge lack of care to low cost tuition and no staff to assist my son in being cleaned up. I feel if you can't provide the best care or someone is dropping the ball- the whole school neglected my son. A toddler in wet jeans outside in the cold - rubbing his private raw. Unacceptable and the aftercare personnel needs to be fired!

Court Street is a good school. It in no way deserves a one-star review. Both of my children attended for several years and in general we were very happy with our experience there. The lower grade levels were excellent and well taught. However, the middle grades have seen a great deal of turnover in the last couple of years and it definitely affected the quality of the education my children received. There was a teacher that had a problem with being absent and there were frequently subs in my daughter's class. That teacher is no longer with the school. The staff is very nice, the school is affordable and there is an emphasis on Christian principles without religion being force-fed. Definitely worth considering if you are looking for a good alternative to Portsmouth's public schools.

If you look at the overall rating and read ALL of the comments, CSA is overwhelmingly looked at as an affordable,quality alternative to public education. I taught for five years in the Portsmouth Public Schools and enjoyed virtually every minute of it. It was not perfect and presented daily challenges. Great teachers welcome those challenges! When I had the opportunity to work for CSA, it was difficult making the decision to leave public schools. I am proud to be part of an extremely dedicated, highly qualified staff. We are working on updating some curriculum where needed, and I can assure you we ALWAYS address behavioral problems with the minimum corrective action to correct the problem and the patience to watch for improvement. Chapel is held every Friday and each class takes turns reciting the Lord's Prayer, the Pledge of Allegiance, leading in the singing of the national anthem and the closing prayer. Sounds like a school with a four star rating to me!

Court Street acadamy is a great school, they have the best teachers who look for you child best intests and because the classes are small yolu child gets the full atention.My girls have been going for 2 years now and I just love the friendly people.

I highly recommend Court Street Academy. The teachers are caring and dedicated and work hard to make meaningful connections with each child. The children are made to feel special and the teachers try to challenge each one to reach his/her own potential. Last spring there was an amazing end-of-year program where each child was recognized with a STAR - telling the outstanding qualities that made him or her special. Graduates of Court Street Academy often come back to brag about their successes and to give the credit to the start they were given at CSA!

CSA is a wonderful school. The below comment is disturbing. I attended CSA as well as other family members and friends and everyone agrees what a great stepping stone CSA has been in their lives. You get a wonderful education as well as reinforcing good character. The books are updated and the tests are always reviewed. I have done my research and had no problem getting answers. The teachers are well qualified and caring as well as the office staff. Their credentials are not hidden, PLEASE check them out. Many of the teachers at CSA have been there for over Twenty or Thirty years! A few of them did retire in the last few years, but several remain. If your experience was not satisfactory, that is fine, but no need to be vindictive. This is not a new, inexperienced institution, it has been going strong for years and years to provide a quality education in a safe and God loving environment. No school is perfect that is why the staff and parents need to work together for the common good of our children. I am sincere in recommmending this school. I have nothing to gain in writing this glowing review, but am simply speaking from my heart as a parent and a former student.

This school and its curriculum are outdated at best. They have a problem keeping staff and will hire anyone (qualified or not) just to fill a seat. If you have a problem (like we did) your concerns will not only go unheard, you will be yelled at by the powers that be and told "that's the way it is because we keep cost low". I find this school totally unacceptable - you get what you pay for. Ask to see the Teacher's credentials, check the year of their standardized test (it s 25 years old), check into their substitute teacher's list, don't trust anything they say! Anyone at that school can write a positive review on Great Schools so you should take any glowing review with great skepticism!!

Court Street Academy is blessed with a caring staff and administration. It is unfortunate that one or two disgruntled persons can diminish what the staff has done for what amounts to volunteer work. Poll previous students and you will find that the significant majority loved their time at Court Street and the staff and adminsitration have done wonders with the resources available to them. Their efforts to maintain an affordable education should not be tarnished

My children attends CSA and I am very pleased. We have had a pleasant experience. The teacher and staff there are commendable for doing such a wonderful job. The CSA staff is very nuturing to my children.

Last modified Court Street Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8