Portsmouth, VA

Court Street Academy 4

Posted July 30, 2012
Court Street is a good school. It in no way deserves a one-star review. Both of my children attended for several years and in general we were very happy with our experience there. The lower grade levels were excellent and well taught. However, the middle grades have seen a great deal of turnover in the last couple of years and it definitely affected the quality of the education my children received. There was a teacher that had a problem with being absent and there were frequently subs in my daughter's class. That teacher is no longer with the school. The staff is very nice, the school is affordable and there is an emphasis on Christian principles without religion being force-fed. Definitely worth considering if you are looking for a good alternative to Portsmouth's public schools.

Court Street Academy 4

Posted August 20, 2011
If you look at the overall rating and read ALL of the comments, CSA is overwhelmingly looked at as an affordable,quality alternative to public education. I taught for five years in the Portsmouth Public Schools and enjoyed virtually every minute of it. It was not perfect and presented daily challenges. Great teachers welcome those challenges! When I had the opportunity to work for CSA, it was difficult making the decision to leave public schools. I am proud to be part of an extremely dedicated, highly qualified staff. We are working on updating some curriculum where needed, and I can assure you we ALWAYS address behavioral problems with the minimum corrective action to correct the problem and the patience to watch for improvement. Chapel is held every Friday and each class takes turns reciting the Lord's Prayer, the Pledge of Allegiance, leading in the singing of the national anthem and the closing prayer. Sounds like a school with a four star rating to me!

Posted August 17, 2011
Court Street acadamy is a great school, they have the best teachers who look for you child best intests and because the classes are small yolu child gets the full atention.My girls have been going for 2 years now and I just love the friendly people.

Posted June 26, 2011
I highly recommend Court Street Academy. The teachers are caring and dedicated and work hard to make meaningful connections with each child. The children are made to feel special and the teachers try to challenge each one to reach his/her own potential. Last spring there was an amazing end-of-year program where each child was recognized with a STAR - telling the outstanding qualities that made him or her special. Graduates of Court Street Academy often come back to brag about their successes and to give the credit to the start they were given at CSA!

Posted June 22, 2011
CSA is a wonderful school. The below comment is disturbing. I attended CSA as well as other family members and friends and everyone agrees what a great stepping stone CSA has been in their lives. You get a wonderful education as well as reinforcing good character. The books are updated and the tests are always reviewed. I have done my research and had no problem getting answers. The teachers are well qualified and caring as well as the office staff. Their credentials are not hidden, PLEASE check them out. Many of the teachers at CSA have been there for over Twenty or Thirty years! A few of them did retire in the last few years, but several remain. If your experience was not satisfactory, that is fine, but no need to be vindictive. This is not a new, inexperienced institution, it has been going strong for years and years to provide a quality education in a safe and God loving environment. No school is perfect that is why the staff and parents need to work together for the common good of our children. I am sincere in recommmending this school. I have nothing to gain in writing this glowing review, but am simply speaking from my heart as a parent and a former student.

Court Street Academy 1

Posted June 20, 2011
This school and its curriculum are outdated at best. They have a problem keeping staff and will hire anyone (qualified or not) just to fill a seat. If you have a problem (like we did) your concerns will not only go unheard, you will be yelled at by the powers that be and told "that's the way it is because we keep cost low". I find this school totally unacceptable - you get what you pay for. Ask to see the Teacher's credentials, check the year of their standardized test (it s 25 years old), check into their substitute teacher's list, don't trust anything they say! Anyone at that school can write a positive review on Great Schools so you should take any glowing review with great skepticism!!

Posted June 18, 2011
Court Street Academy is blessed with a caring staff and administration. It is unfortunate that one or two disgruntled persons can diminish what the staff has done for what amounts to volunteer work. Poll previous students and you will find that the significant majority loved their time at Court Street and the staff and adminsitration have done wonders with the resources available to them. Their efforts to maintain an affordable education should not be tarnished

Posted June 09, 2011
My children attends CSA and I am very pleased. We have had a pleasant experience. The teacher and staff there are commendable for doing such a wonderful job. The CSA staff is very nuturing to my children.

Posted June 07, 2011
We have two children at Court Street Academy and are quite pleased. The atmosphere is friendly and warm and our children feel very loved. The teachers really care about every child and do their best to bring out the best in each one. We are thankful for this school. Submitted by a parent Write your own review

Posted June 05, 2011
We would recommend this school fully. I am involved parent and was completely satisfied with the education that my children received. My children's books were of the latest editions. When there was an issue, the teachers and administration were right on top of it. The school encourages current and potential parents to visit at anytime, which speaks volumes. There is a no tolerence policy for any bullying at anytime and we have seen it in action. Would encourage anyone to send their chilren here, excellent!!

Court Street Academy