Pocahontas Elementary School 1

Posted December 09, 2014
My son attends this school now due to having to relocate. I find that some of the things that the school does is unacceptable. The staff and administrative staff are rude. You call in to the school and they talk to you like you are nothing and they don't won't to have nothing to do with you. I find the behavior very wrong for people that are suppose to be role models for our kids. This school is very wrong in the way that if some how your child's lunch account is out of money for any reason the cafeteria gives your child a letter at lunch to keep up with all day to bring home to let the parents know that there account is low instead of the school calling or sending a letter to let you know. If there is no money on the account they feed your child a cheese sandwich and a carton of milk and send your child on for the rest of the day starving. I an not make this up it happened to my child. I also find that the teachers could do alot better job letting you know your child's progress and how they are doing.

Posted August 28, 2014
Our family has been very happy at PocEs for the last year and a half. The Principal Mr. Sulzer is a wonderful leader and example for the children. He is always encouraging and offers many opportunities during the year for them to be recognized for showing core values and hard work. The pledge of Allegiance is the start of their day. The Teachers, Aids, Office, Cafeteria and Environmental Services staff are what make this place great for our kids. It's a family, it's a team. Many enrichment programs offered to kids and PE is included into their schedule most every day. Multi-Age, STEM and IEP programs are offered. The PTO offers many fun events for the children during the school year. Parent involvement could be better and I believe they are working building a stronger parent support system. Before and after school is available and many after school enrichment and sport activities are offered.

Pocahontas Elementary School 1

Posted December 11, 2011
There is just no excuse for how poorly this school and staff operate. We relocated from Chesterfield County Schoold and its no comparison, The office staff are unfriendly and downright rude to the parents and children. Obviously only there to collect a paycheck. If you care about your childs safety AT ALL, do not send them to this school. I have never been ID'd picking up my daughter as the staff do not even get out of their chair to help you. My daughter has been sent back to class bleeding last week because the clinic was "closed." We will be withdrawing my daughter from this school after Christmas and sending her back to Chesterfield County.

Posted April 08, 2011
I have been involved with the IEP system both as a juvenile PO and now as a parent. Both of my children have disabilities. My one son has Sensory Processing Disorder and has been at Pocahontas since preschool. I cannot say enough about the special ed staff, teachers and specialists. My child is like a different person because of everything that they've done for him and is doing very well in school. My other son was just diagnosed with ADHD and so I am waiting to see how he adjusts to the special ed program but I have nothing but positive things to say about the staff, teachers and current administration at this school. I have been VERY happy with them!

Pocahontas Elementary School 2

Posted March 01, 2011
Where to begin - the administration is uncaring and callous. Most of the admin staff are there to collect a paycheck and have little to no regard for my child's safety. The office staff is unfriendly and quite rude. If you don't believe me, just try calling and asking for a teacher. The teachers are the saving grace for the school. Most of them do care about children and most do the best with what they have been provided. However, this is not the place for a child with a disability.

Pocahontas Elementary School 5

Posted January 09, 2007
I have two children, my daughter still attends and my son is in the junior high. My son attened this school k-4th grade. He was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade and this school was wonderful with him. Great communication and great patience!

Posted November 21, 2006
It is a great school for my daughter without learning disabilitiesshe is in a multi age class with lots of pets and has lots of teachers so someone is always able to help one on one. This school however was not so good for my son with ADHD.

Posted August 27, 2004
We relocated here from the Northeast, and there is no comparison in the quality of education received here compared to where we are from. Smaller class sizes and more one on one attention has been more beneficial to my children. Scoring well on the SOL's is a high priority, but not to the point where it takes away from day to day education

Pocahontas Elementary School 3

Posted February 20, 2004
In my opinion the school focuses on teaching children to pass the SOL tests instead of concentrating on quality of education. As a former student of Chesterfield County schools, I'm just not very impressed.

Posted September 09, 2003
Everything about this school is great. It also has wonderful special needs staff members who assist children with learning problems. The administration and staff are wonderful, caring individuals who help our children achieve their best.

Pocahontas Elementary School
4294 Anderson Hwy, Powhatan, VA  23139
Last modified Pocahontas Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pocahontas Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top