Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Pocahontas Elementary School 5

Posted February 25, 2016
I have been with this school for several years & I currently have more children that will be attending in the future. The staff and teachers are very caring to the students, the office staff is mostly delightful, I understand it can be stressed at times. The principal is wonderful and a breath of fresh air at this school! The after school programs are also great and offer a variety of courses to do. The PTO is very friendly, always planning events that is fun for the whole family.

Pocahontas Elementary School
Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted September 04, 2015
If the staff cannot demonstrate these values, how can I trust they will instill them.

Pocahontas Elementary School 2

Posted September 04, 2015
As a new parent of two children relocating to this school, I will tell you that so far, I am not impressed. Although the principal is nice, and does truly understand child needs, the school staff does not. I'm not keen to being looked down upon like trash, as if we were part of a caste system society, especially as me being a disabled veteran who gave a substantial part of my life to this country. I was expecting more from this school prior to enrolling, because of the great schools rating. I am sure the teachers do the best they can, with what they have and for the most part, it seems they will be great - at teaching SOL material. I don't expect my children to learn more than what is required regarding the SOL, so I'll have to find a way to continue teaching them real world 'stuff'. In particular, the secretary (tall blonde with a crabby attitude) seemed a bit off for school standards and continuously appeared to really not care about anything but a paycheck. Her attitude, while in front of the principal, was unacceptable to me. In his position, I would see fit for all administrative staff to attend workshops on dealing with people, not just paper. But, she is just a secretary, so I'm not too concerned with her. I will call her out on her next time, but until then, my first impression will remain at a solid 2 stars. I have no other choice besides this school, unless I drive thirty miles away, so for now, I'm stuck.

Posted June 01, 2015
We are relocating, and I am making heavy use of the great schools website. I felt compelled to respond about the review that the parent made about the schools lunch money policy. I cannot rate this school from personal experience, so my review is only based on their score of a 6 and their SOL scores.It is not just this particular school that handles lunch accounts in that manner. There is an elementary school in the area that we are from that does the same thing. They are only allotted a certain amount of money to provide for loans for school lunches, and even though you may be one parent that pays the money back, there are many that do not. The schools in my current area were out $40,000. (no that is not a typo) due to non payment of lunch money by parents. If you are a parent doing as I am and using this website to compare schools, keep in mind that there are other areas in the state that do the same thing when lunch money is not paid because unfortunately there are some parents that do not feel they should be required to pay the schools back for lunch money, as I am sure was not the case of the parent that wrote the other comment. As far as the rudeness of the office staff, if we chose to live in this school division, I will be going to the school and making my own personal opinion on how I am treated, which will play a part on the selection of the school and whether or not I will choose to live in the school district.

Pocahontas Elementary School 1

Posted December 09, 2014
My son attends this school now due to having to relocate. I find that some of the things that the school does is unacceptable. The staff and administrative staff are rude. You call in to the school and they talk to you like you are nothing and they don't won't to have nothing to do with you. I find the behavior very wrong for people that are suppose to be role models for our kids. This school is very wrong in the way that if some how your child's lunch account is out of money for any reason the cafeteria gives your child a letter at lunch to keep up with all day to bring home to let the parents know that there account is low instead of the school calling or sending a letter to let you know. If there is no money on the account they feed your child a cheese sandwich and a carton of milk and send your child on for the rest of the day starving. I an not make this up it happened to my child. I also find that the teachers could do alot better job letting you know your child's progress and how they are doing.

Posted August 28, 2014
Our family has been very happy at PocEs for the last year and a half. The Principal Mr. Sulzer is a wonderful leader and example for the children. He is always encouraging and offers many opportunities during the year for them to be recognized for showing core values and hard work. The pledge of Allegiance is the start of their day. The Teachers, Aids, Office, Cafeteria and Environmental Services staff are what make this place great for our kids. It's a family, it's a team. Many enrichment programs offered to kids and PE is included into their schedule most every day. Multi-Age, STEM and IEP programs are offered. The PTO offers many fun events for the children during the school year. Parent involvement could be better and I believe they are working building a stronger parent support system. Before and after school is available and many after school enrichment and sport activities are offered.

Pocahontas Elementary School 1

Posted December 11, 2011
There is just no excuse for how poorly this school and staff operate. We relocated from Chesterfield County Schoold and its no comparison, The office staff are unfriendly and downright rude to the parents and children. Obviously only there to collect a paycheck. If you care about your childs safety AT ALL, do not send them to this school. I have never been ID'd picking up my daughter as the staff do not even get out of their chair to help you. My daughter has been sent back to class bleeding last week because the clinic was "closed." We will be withdrawing my daughter from this school after Christmas and sending her back to Chesterfield County.

Posted April 08, 2011
I have been involved with the IEP system both as a juvenile PO and now as a parent. Both of my children have disabilities. My one son has Sensory Processing Disorder and has been at Pocahontas since preschool. I cannot say enough about the special ed staff, teachers and specialists. My child is like a different person because of everything that they've done for him and is doing very well in school. My other son was just diagnosed with ADHD and so I am waiting to see how he adjusts to the special ed program but I have nothing but positive things to say about the staff, teachers and current administration at this school. I have been VERY happy with them!

Pocahontas Elementary School 2

Posted March 01, 2011
Where to begin - the administration is uncaring and callous. Most of the admin staff are there to collect a paycheck and have little to no regard for my child's safety. The office staff is unfriendly and quite rude. If you don't believe me, just try calling and asking for a teacher. The teachers are the saving grace for the school. Most of them do care about children and most do the best with what they have been provided. However, this is not the place for a child with a disability.

Pocahontas Elementary School 5

Posted January 09, 2007
I have two children, my daughter still attends and my son is in the junior high. My son attened this school k-4th grade. He was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade and this school was wonderful with him. Great communication and great patience!

Pocahontas Elementary School
4294 Anderson Hwy, Powhatan, VA  23139
Last modified Pocahontas Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.