Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I really am in awe of so many negative comments! We love Walton! The school buildings are old on the open campus; there is no getting around that. The care, maintenance, and cleanliness, are all above average! If you are not feeling a warm friendly environment, then you're missing out on something. Every time I step on campus, I'm greeted with smiles and good mornings galore. The staff are all amazing, genuine and caring folks. Most go way above and beyond the call and are there for the kids! I have witnessed, as an involved parent, the same treatment and expectation for all students no matter background. We've seen tough love, celebrations for accomplishments, and a hope for making a difference! I hope that others will experience the same wonderful Walton we have experienced.

My daughter came in at 4th grade. She was in the gifted program at her last school, and I requested she be assessed for it. It never happened despite my having asked several times. The curriculum is way below what we have experienced at other schools. Some of the 4th grade spelling words were 'magnet', 'finger', and 'afternoon' and in math they were doing rounding. My child was beyond bored. I asked the teacher to work with me to get her more engaged, suggested having her help other students who were struggling with concepts she had mastered, and the teacher said no, with no explanation as to why. The teacher did not offer any suggestions or try to help in any way, but did complain that my daughter was daydreaming in class. I would be daydreaming too if I was sitting through hours of material I already knew. PE is only twice a week, which is terrible. When I asked what they did at PE, I was told they play on the playground. That is not PE, that is recess. Come the end of the year, they drill SOL preparation every day for a month, to the exclusion of the other subjects, including PE. The whole point of the SOL is to ensure the students are learning what they need over the course of the year, not because they have it shoved down their throats for 8 hours a day for weeks! I understand the school wanting to get good SOL scores, but this is insane. It is stressful to the children and, I feel, cruel. When I asked when they could get back to science and music and art, I was told after SOL testing is done. I was very glad when we moved and got away from this school.

My son is special needs and he did not receive any of the services and accommodations that he was supposed to based on his IEP. The special education staff was apparently lost over the summer of 2016 and there was no coordinator and no special ed teachers so he was with a teacher who had no idea how to help him and he actually regressed academically. They wanted me to wait while they got their staff sorted out. I contacted the school board to see if a different school could accommodate him and they told me moving him was a last resort and wouldn't work with me. The principal is very professional and helpful, but they just don't have the resources to help a child with severe learning disabilities.

Please take some of these comments with a grain of salt. The teachers, staff and administration at Walton all are very dedicated and wonderful people. I find it sad that parents come on here to "bad mouth" a teacher or the principal. Many times they are simply doing their job and following policy from the School Board. I for one, want my children to be ready for life after elementary school. I also do not feel that it is appropriate for the behavior of ONE to disrupt the learning of 23 others. Knowing the staff, I can assure you no child ever was in trouble or sent to the office for a pencil "accidently " falling to the floor. Unfortunately, sometimes parents are unable to see that their children have faults like everyone else. I have had several dealings with the guidance counselor and have been very impressed. She is knowledgeable and caring with students. I do not believe it is the right (and even legal) to decide when someone else should retire. Walton has provided my children with a Wonderful education and elementary experience. I highly suggest that you rest easy if your child is preparing to attend school there in the fall. They are amazing! And you are in for a treat.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They are amazing, always encouraging to all students and parents. We couldn't be happier We are ready for next year!

This is my son's first year at Walton. We are stationed at Fort Lee and hope to stay here because of the quality education our children are receiving in Prince George. Our experience has been positive. The teachers and administrators spend a lot of time after school for fun activities for students and families. Our children have attended several schools in the country and Walton is the best elementary school we have been to. There is a boy in my son's class who makes noises and does things in class that are not appropriate. I support a student being suspended when their behavior interferes with the learning of 22 other students. I send my son to school to learn. I would be upset if there were no consequences and my son's education suffered because of it.I am surprised at some things that are said. Rumors are started and spread quickly because some people believe everything they hear or see without knowing what is REALLY going on. Each time I have expressed a concern, it has been addressed. What I like least about the school-the late buses-which are not their fault-and the way parents speak to the faculty. I have heard parents cursing at teachers, administrators, and secretaries. I have also overheard parents arguing with each other at parent pick up. They do this all in front of children. I am sorry for the way the school staff is spoken to because it seems like they try their best. Other school systems we have been in would not let parents speak like that to teachers, administrators, secretaries, or anyone else at the school. The employees do not speak like that to the parents or they would be fired. I witnessed a father curse at a custodian-- told him to go do his job when he was helping with students unloading in the morning. No respect!The custodian held his head high and ignored the man. I feel like Walton does a terrific job with the 600 students they have. Maybe the parents who complain would be happier if they tried to communicate with the teachers and school. I overheard a boy talking while I was having lunch with my son. He said "my momma said my teacher can't tell me what to do. she'll go to the school board office and get her fired". A fifth grader! Walton is doing a great job! Thank you for everything you do. I wish more people tried to work at or run a school. They'd see how much work and dedication it really takes!

Both of my children attend Walton, One is special needs. Both always have been treated well by all the adults that work there, and are discipline appropriately when needed (which is not often). I am very pleased with the education they are receiving. I am displeased with the behavior of some of the students and parents while on campus. That is giving Walton a bad reputation that is NOT deserved. The faculty has worked hard and overcome a lot of negative press. They are making huge gains daily. I am proud of my kids' school. Even though it is an old school, they bulletin boards and grounds are kept up, staff is friendly, and they kids seem happy. People who are unhappy here, are not involved enough and won't look for the positives. KUDOS WALTON! WE LOVE YOU!

My son attended Walton from K until this past April 2016. We are now in chesterfield and I can see a huge difference in the amount of stress that's placed on the students. My son was often overloaded with homework. Stressed. It was almost impossible for him to participate in an extra curricula activities becuase of his heavy work load. Last year they tried to suspend him for being disruptive (excessive talking and dropping his pencil). This past year (4th grade) was one of the worse years. It almost felt like his teacher expected mediocre performance from him. She killed his confidence. He went from being an A student to a C/D student. I never had a bad experience with the administrators. The guidance counselor should retire. Kids need someone with a little more enthusiasm as a guidance counselor. The front desk staff were great. Overall I didn't not have the best experience at Walton but I guess it depends on each individual situation. If you ever have a problem tht isn't being addressed contact the school board. Thts seems to help.

My daughter is attending 5th grade this year, and I can honestly say that this is her best year ever. The teachers are compassionate, and although they expect a lot , they give more. The principal is outgoing, and you can tell that she loves her job. She makes it a point to talk to the kids and generally cares about all her students. I am so glad that my child has found a school where she is welcomed and nurtured.

I love Walton.. my child has always been pushed to do her best. All of the teachers that she has had over the years went beyond the call of duty.

Last modified William A. Walton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.