Reston, VA
Before care: Yes

Posted March 21, 2014
Great parent involvement, caring teachers, warm environment. Every child is treated uniquely and they can go as fast or as slow as they need to. My son is a pre-schooler and he is already totally immersed in Spanish, geography, math, and natural sciences. I am very happy with the care and attention he is getting.

Posted October 28, 2013
Sunset Hills Montessori School is a place for our two children for 5 years now. We love this School for truly Montessori philosophy and approach. With our older child we see amazing results in a ways every parent would love to see in their children love for learning, strong academic foundation, incredible feeling of community from young age. We love our wonderful teachers who daily help our children to define success and to achieve it. We are glad that now the School grew and able to offer whole five years of quality Elementary Education. ThePrincipal is a true educator and a true leader. Every classroom is bright, well-organized and equipped with always updated educational materials. The environment in a classroom is truly warm. Administration of the School does a team work and takes an extra step to help out on a daily schedule. School teachers are highly educated, every child has as much of teachers attention as needed. After-School activities are various and a great help to working parents. SHMS sets a high standard for education of children from the young age and we would recommend SHMS to every family who is considering Montessori education. Mom to 4 and 8 y old kids. M

Posted September 03, 2013
Excellent school with caring staff. We highly recommended. My kids were very happy there. Great community with lots of parent involvement.

Posted May 01, 2013
After many school visits, both public and private, we found SHMS for both of my boys. They have thrived at the school and after three years I can see the confidence that they exude. They love going to school and after a few days of vacation ask when school is going to start again. With school being not only a place for children to be pushed academically, but also a place to learn social skills and personal responsibility, SHMS does a great job at all. They bring higher level work for the kids that are ready, while working on the areas that they need extra help in, but all done a tthe individual child's pace. My Kindergarten son started bringing home some of his multiplication "works" a few months ago, which I was surprised by. My kids need to feel like they have a say in what they do (within boundaries) and the Montessori environment has definitely given them that.

Posted April 28, 2013
Montesorri education does not fit all children. For my daughter, the educational foundation that she gained through the curriculum, teachers and administrators at Sunset Hills is what has made her successful today. She was fortunate to be able to attend Sunselt Hills through Middle school. I often second guessed if she was missing out on clubs, sports, and other activities available at larger schools. As a result of the edcuational foundation gained at SHM, my daughter was well prepared for high school, graduated with honors, received academic scholarships to college and is grateful that we were able to send her to SHM.

Posted February 06, 2013
As a mom of four children, who has moved many times, I have experienced many types of preschools over the past 20 years. When it came time to pick a preschool for our youngest daughter we looked at many options in the NOVA area before pick SHMS. Hands down this is the very best preschool any of my children have ever attended. Every staff member I have encountered -- from her teacher to the office to the aftercare staff are kind, concerned, communicative, giving and truly love what they do. The school is the cleanest school I have ever been in. It's large with plenty of window light. A great playground and large space to do activities on rainy days. My three-year-old says on a weekly basis how much she loves school. She is happy there and learns many things (like the types of Virginia Birds) that she would never have gotten at a regular preschool. I have to say it's worth the monthly investment to see her thriving everyday! I also love the fact they have a great summer camp and other PTA sponsored act ivies throughout the year. Tour the school for yourself and sit in a classroom. You will what a hidden gem Sunset Montessori is.

Posted October 06, 2011
My shy 2 year old is thriving at the school. He has learned so many new skills and has come out of his shell thanks to his loving teachers. They also provide guidance and help to support our family outside the school. We could not be any happier with the school, the teachers, and the PTA.

Posted August 19, 2010
My daughter attended SHMS for 2 years - pre-K and Kindergarten. She just finished her 1st grade in a nearby Fairfax County school. Alhthough her 1st grade teacher was great, she was not as loving and caring and as great with the kids as her SHMS teacher was. And midway through 1st grade my daughter said to me during some home work "this is not nearly as hard or as fun as what I did last year."

Sunset Hills Montessori School 2

Posted July 29, 2010
My daughters attended SHMS for five years. Our experience has been mixed. The decision making over the years has been increasingly business driven instead of the interests of the student or the class. One class unexpectedly went from being led by a beloved, experienced teacher to a newly anointed co-teacher. The risk you take is that the the next time the axe unexpectedly falls, it might be your child's teacher. While the school is seemingly fantastic, the leadership and teaching staff is at times unpredictable and unapproachable. If you sign the contract and start with a qualified teacher, will you be happy if you end up paying for a teacher with less experience and an untrained assistant? You take that risk at SHMS.

Posted July 16, 2010
My daughter has been attending SHMS since she was 22mos old. I looked at over 10 schools before deciding on this one. She is happy, engaged and learning at a fast pace. It s a great school and I am amazed about the poor reviews that stemmed from an incident that other classes were only vaguely aware of. Use your own judgment, tour the school, sit in on a class and decide for yourself. I highly recommend Sunset Hills!

Sunset Hills Montessori School
11180 Ridge Heights Rd, Reston, VA  20191
Last modified Sunset Hills Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Sunset Hills Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top