PK-4|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted December 28, 2015
My son attended Reston Montessori for the Spring semester in 2015 to determine it was a good fit for him. We determined it was not. I question the integrity and experience of the staff - especially the upper school teachers and the academic therapist. My son has a low threshold for frustration and we understand that he can be a handful when he is stressed. It is something we work on with him and have a counselor to help him mange his emotions. However, I was shocked that by mid semester his teachers were so fed up that they stop encouraging him academically, and we learned he had not completed any works for nearly 5 weeks. Again, I know he is a handful when he is stressed this includes learning new things and making new friends, but what I was more shocked by the lack of communication from the school about this issue. It shouldn't take 5 weeks to reported an issue. It seemed that his teachers had given up because they had no clue what to do. Moreover, I started getting emails from his teachers encouraging that we switch counselors to their recommended practice which I found inappropriate especially since they knew he was established at another practice. In short, we found that the school's staff to be very young, very inexperienced and are really struggling with communication. I can forgive a lot but for the price of this school, I expect better. I imagine other families can be successful here if their child is self-motivated academically and does not have special needs, but for the families whose child needs extra love I wouldn't recommend this school. Also the shoes mentioned in a few reviews were the "Montessori Movers" for $37 and will be mandatory inside shoes for the 2016 school year along with other new uniform rules per the PTA email sent out while we were there.

Posted November 24, 2015
In this day and age of little or no ethics, it seems all is fair in politics and school reviews. Words are very powerful tools; they can hurt, damage and misguide people. I would like to clarify a few of the remarks on this site. In particular the statements regarding shoes, the shoes are NOT mandatory and they do NOT cost $40. As to the drama I did not see any, save for the person writing about the shoes. As a rational and happy RMS parent, I would like to say that my children have thrived in the incredible environment of Reston Montessori School. A rational and happy parent.

Posted September 07, 2015
There is very poor communication at the school. New policies were implemented last minute that deviated from the parent handbook several times while we were there including new special $40 Montessori shoes what were made mandatory the weekend before school started. Some of the teachers are dedicated to their students but we found the pre-primary teachers arrogant and difficult. After the second Director change we left, didnt need the drama.

Posted June 09, 2015
This school has a great program for grades 1-6 (Elementary). The classes are small with great teachers that really care about the kids. It's taught by a small group of teachers that are experienced and have been with the school for years. My experience in the lower program (Kindergarten) was not so great. A great deal of emphasis is placed on only the kids that are advanced and the ones that are not so advanced are labeled and disregarded. Kindergarten is also very unorganized and has weak teachers. Luckily, I stuck with it and now my children are getting all they need through the great Elementary program.

Posted June 05, 2015
The upper school experience was terrible these past couple years. Primary was terrific. This school is very bipolar. You never know what you are going to get. Take your chances but beware.

Posted March 05, 2015
My son has been at this school since he was 3 months old. I was so confident in the infant program I never once worried while at work. The transition to preprimary has been great and my son is absolutely thriving. His vocabulary is far above others his age in other schools, he loves the French offerings, the art projects, his classroom fish, and of course his teachers.

Reston Montessori School 1

Posted August 26, 2014
I made a chart showing all the discrepancies between my son's report card and the teacher's recommendations. The director's response said they will not discuss the recommendation and to communicate with their attorney. So, please, learn from my experience - this is not a school that has your child's or family's interest at heart. They are not nice people. If they were, they'd take the time to talk to us and give us an explanation. In my opinion, I think the teacher was upset about us leaving the school. Her attitude change to us was not as friendly when she found out we weren't returning. We think that her negative recommendation was influenced to us not returning since she lost many students and she told me she only has 9 kids in her class for fall. Also - the premises don't seem very clean, especially the bathrooms.

Posted July 21, 2014
Great school, spectacular elementary program with a strong curriculum and teachers. Sad to see the previous tirade from one angry parent (and I stress ONE). At least 2 of the Elementary teachers have been with the school for 20 years. That speaks volumes. Great program.

Posted April 09, 2014
Wow! I am shocked by this parents negative comment! I am not sure exactly what they have seen or witnessed! Absolute nonsense to make such a comment! The program, teachers, and the academic curriculum is outstanding! They claim It is not a very safe environment for young children?!! That is a bogus claim! This school provides the safest and most friendliest environment for children. Everyone there is family.....This particular parent should just leave.....

Posted April 09, 2014
I am completely disgusted by the previous comment. Clearly that is an angry person holding a grudge with RMS teachers and administrators. My experience with the Elementary program and teachers has been nothing but favourable and of the highest of quality. Suffice to say: we have options in where to place our children in school. Clearly the parent in question should use their options and leave, rather than post viscous and cruel remarks online. A grudge is a grudge no matter what colour you paint it. Shame to the parent that did this.

Reston Montessori School
1928 Isaac Newton Square West, Reston, VA  20190
Last modified Reston Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-4
Reston Montessori School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top