Reston, VA

Posted August 26, 2014
I made a chart showing all the discrepancies between my son's report card and the teacher's recommendations. The director's response said they will not discuss the recommendation and to communicate with their attorney. So, please, learn from my experience - this is not a school that has your child's or family's interest at heart. They are not nice people. If they were, they'd take the time to talk to us and give us an explanation. In my opinion, I think the teacher was upset about us leaving the school. Her attitude change to us was not as friendly when she found out we weren't returning. We think that her negative recommendation was influenced to us not returning since she lost many students and she told me she only has 9 kids in her class for fall. Also - the premises don't seem very clean, especially the bathrooms.

Posted July 21, 2014
Great school, spectacular elementary program with a strong curriculum and teachers. Sad to see the previous tirade from one angry parent (and I stress ONE). At least 2 of the Elementary teachers have been with the school for 20 years. That speaks volumes. Great program.

Posted April 09, 2014
Wow! I am shocked by this parents negative comment! I am not sure exactly what they have seen or witnessed! Absolute nonsense to make such a comment! The program, teachers, and the academic curriculum is outstanding! They claim It is not a very safe environment for young children?!! That is a bogus claim! This school provides the safest and most friendliest environment for children. Everyone there is family.....This particular parent should just leave.....

Posted April 09, 2014
I am completely disgusted by the previous comment. Clearly that is an angry person holding a grudge with RMS teachers and administrators. My experience with the Elementary program and teachers has been nothing but favourable and of the highest of quality. Suffice to say: we have options in where to place our children in school. Clearly the parent in question should use their options and leave, rather than post viscous and cruel remarks online. A grudge is a grudge no matter what colour you paint it. Shame to the parent that did this.

Reston Montessori School 2

Posted April 08, 2014
A couple years back, I rated this school 5 stars and have raved about it with other parents who are interested in giving their child a montessori education. However, within the past year there has been a couple incidents involving temper issues/physical altercations and too much aggression among a couple Upper Elementary students towards a Lower Elementary student(s) that have not been handled properly by the teacher (or the administration). This is the second time the same issue has been addressed and nothing has been done to remedy it. When these issues are addressed and a permanent fix takes place, then I am more then willing to change my rating for this school. Until then, I will have to give it a 2 star rating. As a side note, If you do not want your 6 year old to play outside with 10-12 year olds who are twice their size. DO NOT send your child to RMS. The Elementary school has mixed aged groups ranging from ages 6-12 in ONE classroom (45 kids) and they play outside together as well. This is not a very safe environment for your young child and this is not how montessori schools are suppose to be designed.

Posted November 20, 2013
RMS is a warm welcoming environment. The teachers are dedicated to their work and work with children according to their ability. The parents are very involved in the school life. Socials and fun fundraisers help staff, parents and children form a warm relationship with each other. The academics are high standard and there is also a good variety of extra-curricular activity and many field trips. Highly recommended!

Posted November 20, 2013
Great academics, French, PE, music, art and lots of field trips. Make learning fun and interesting. My kids love coming to school everyday!

Posted April 10, 2013
Elementary Program is awful. Teachers are not qualified and not certified. Pre-school was fine. My daughter is now in the AP program in Fairfax County and RMS doesn't even compare.

Posted April 06, 2013
My son attended this school from kindergarten to first grade. Now he is in middle school. The 2 years he spent in this school is the most traumatic of his life. He is been labeled as ADD/ADHD and treated unfairly even for small mistakes. We get call 2 to 3 times a week. We were hoping this school would bring kid good discipline and learning experience. We were wrong. We took him out in the middle of school year and management and teachers were very rude and insensitive and we were told "Good luck" with your son elsewhere (sarcastic). It took him 3 years to get out of trauma and he is still having nightmares from this school. Parents beware... PS: My son is in seventh grade now...attending Stone hill middle, Ashburn, Honor student and is a starting defensive end and offensive tackle in AYFL Football league.

Reston Montessori School 3

Posted February 21, 2013
My son has been attending RMS since he was 6 months old (infant room) and now he is 2+ (toddler room). We had a wonderful experience while attending the infant program. The infant room caregivers were attentive and loving and seemed to genuinely want to be there. The space is big with a segregating sleeping area critical for infant development. My son loved the crawling room with soft climbers as he was developing. Now that we are in the toddler room, I can't say that the experience has been the same. There has been quite a lot of teacher turnover and they are quick to jump to conclusions about the energy of a boy which leads to "labeling" him hyper. Personally, this age group develops and learns best under consistent arrangements (ie: no turnover). I worry that my son won't be permitted to express his feelings very freely and therefore not thrive. I strongly believe that a child's learning is shaped through consistentency in the delivery method and in a nuturing, non-judgemental environment. Teacher turnover only ensures that the child is re-setting EVERY time that they have to work through the introduction and methods of a new teacher. We are looking for a new school.

Reston Montessori School
1928 Isaac Newton Square West, Reston, VA  20190
Last modified Reston Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-4
Reston Montessori School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top