Reston, VA

Sunrise Valley Elementary School 4

Posted April 06, 2014
SVES has an incredible faculty. For many years there had been a significant leadership problem there, but that has worked itself out. With the retirement of the prior administrator the school looks to be back on track.

Sunrise Valley Elementary School 4

Posted September 18, 2013
This is a passably good elementary school drawing children mostly from fairly well-to-do neighborhoods. Discipline problems are practically unheard of. Teachers are friendly and competent, For the most part. The art teacher , unfortunately, does seem to lack basic classroom management skills and spends the majority of class time yelling at students. The is doubly unfortunate because students will be exposed to that year after year, in a class they really should be enjoying. On the brightside, the schoolis a center for AAP and the school does a great job of integrating the AAP students/classes with the Gen Ed students/classes so that any differences are really not noticeable. The school has a great Physical Education program and the teachers of that program really stand out. The library is exceptional. The extra-curricular activities are pretty good. Overall, I would recommend this school.

Posted May 27, 2013
Looking at the negative comments, they must be written by the same people repeatedly. They use the same words. Anyway, these negative comments are obviously a couple people who had difficulty for whatever reason. Sometimes when a kid has an academic or behavioral problem people get defensive and become aggressive. We have probably all been there to some degree. Unfortunately, these few were unkind and kind of scary. SVES has been great for my kids. We have no complaints. They all love the music program and have been in band and strings. PE could be longer or more days. It would be nice if all kids were pushed and challenged more in math so they might be ready for Algebra in 7th grade. My kids have done well in math though and seem like they know more than I did in 6th grade. Reading is super important but writing could be a greater focus. Technology is used a lot although some of the laptops are extremely slow, according to the kids. The community events are fun although there do not seem to be enough. What happened to the fun fair? There are lots of clubs for kids - Girls on the Run is a great one. There is chess club and champions. Teachers are well liked.

Posted May 27, 2013
Great school!. Relatively small school with a great sense of community. Every student matters and the kids feel it as do the parents. Teachers are responsive. Kids are happy in school which says a lot. There are many clubs and leadership opportunities for the students. Could not ask for a better school for my kids to go to. We chose this area because of the good school system and we selected Sunrise Valley in particular. Our kids are almost done with SVES and will be moving on to LHMS and I know they wwill be ready.

Sunrise Valley Elementary School 2

Posted April 14, 2013
We pulled our children out of SVES due to 1) the "teacher is first" instead of student first attitude, 2) the leadership loving her running of a bureaucracy and 3) the bias toward the GT (now AAP) teachers and kids. Woe to the parent whose child is in general education classes - the curriculum is "teach down to the SOL's". Very little critical thinking taught.

Posted January 01, 2013
Sunrise Valley ES is hands down one of the finest elementary schools in FCPS. All members of its learning community including administrators, teachers, and parents strive to support the learning, social, and emotional needs of students. After a great deal of research when finding out that we were moving into the area, we specifically selected Sunrise Valley ES. We could not be more pleased.

Sunrise Valley Elementary School 1

Posted August 12, 2012
SVES is a real disappointment. Teaching is bureaucratic, as is the attitude of the principal. We pull our child out of the school. His math was going downhill, he had no projects, no homework, and he wasn't learning anything in depth. When I met with other parents, they reported that their older children had done more - and that the school was going downhill. The last straw was that a neighbor who teaches at Hughes Middle School reported that SVES students are not as well prepared as those from Forest Edge. I never once heard my son say he was excited about class.

Posted February 12, 2012
I am a junior at SLHS now and am grateful for the time I had at Sunrise Valley. SVES prepared me to participate in the IB program. I have a strong backgroound in the basics - reading, writing, math, but I also learned to think, create, and solve problems. These are all things I use in my IB classes. I also appreciate the close friendships I made at SVES. It was a close and caring community. The teachers were awesome too. SVES rocks!!!!!!

Posted February 09, 2012
We simply couldn't be happier with our family's experience at Sunrise Valley! Both of our children have received a wonderful education and rewarding enrichment experiences. SVES is a truly remarkable, cooperative community consisting of the highest quality dedicated teachers, administrators and staff, active and caring parents, and terrific students. My oldest child left SVES more than well-prepared for the rigors and challenges of middle school and beyond. In middle school, she, herself, commented that SVES kids were better prepared than many students from other elementary schools. She is currently thriving in pre-IB classes at South Lakes HS. My youngest child is currently at SVES, and has enjoyed teachers every year who celebrate his uniqueness and encourage and foster his passion for learning and artistic expression. I encourage families to come see for themselves!

Posted November 01, 2011
I give SVES the top rating. Both my kids came to SVES after attending another school. They were both gen ed kids and excelled. I thought their general ed teachers were excellent. In both cases, my kids' teachers recognized their strengths and weaknesses and worked with us. One child was pulled out for advanced math with the GT kids, and the other received speech therapy, within a month of starting at SVES. Our older child is now working on his IB diploma at SLHS, and our younger child is excelling in pre-IB classes at SLHS. I believe they received a good grounding at SVES. Please check out the test scores and come and visit the school yourself.

Sunrise Valley Elementary School
10824 Cross School Rd, Reston, VA  20191
Last modified Sunrise Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunrise Valley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top