Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

This school is very, very good! Great school, awesome teachers, outstanding principal!

Terraset has been a Godsend for us. The Principal is amazing. The teachers are awesome. The facilities are clean and well organized. Our son is learning at rapid speed and feels very connected to the school community. We are thrilled with our Terraset experience!

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is no research indicating any value whatsoever to homework in the elementary grades. Kindergarteners should not have any homework at all, and anything beyond 10 min/grade/night is too much.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have been very pleased with every teacher we have had at Terraset. Additionally, Mrs. Dueno, the librarian is a great addition and I'm so glad all the students have the opportunity to be in her "classroom"

My child has had a great experience at Terraset. The reviewer who complained about fathers not being as welcome to participate is wrong -- dads are very welcome to volunteer at Terraset. My husband has spent as much time volunteering at school as I have. The Watchdogs program is not exclusive to our school, and yes there is a small fee, but it is so worth it. Ms. Trout is a fantastic principal and the renovations are beautiful. They took a cramped, badly outdated building and turned it into a gorgeous school, not sure why anyone would complain about that. Can't wait for the new year to start!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Clear instructions for homework are not given (this has been a problem multiple years.) Mostly the work is print offs (with typos) and when questions are raised the teacher's responses are usually, "I just printed it off, I didn't really look at it yet."

With two children presently at Terraset, I've been disappointed that the quality of care and education doesn't match other Reston schools. If looking to buy, I'd pick a home in another boundary. Terraset is too focused on appearances and building renovations. Fathers wanting to volunteer are charged for the privilege (watchdogs.) Why in this day and age there would be a gender requirement for participation is beyond me. It certainly sends the wrong message to the children. Schools should reinforce that ALL adults are equal and therefore capable of doing ALL jobs. Teacher quality has been a mixed bag (some great, some quite bad.) Not even the principal lives in the community.

We have one child finishing his 4th year at Terraset and another kindergarten. We absolutely love this school and are so lucky to have our kids enrolled there. The faculty, staff, and students are exceptional, providing a diverse, creative, productive, and educational environment. Principal Trout is incredibly involved and deeply cares about her students and school. We could not ask for a better school for our kids.

My son is just finishing up second grade at Terraset. We have been so incredibly happy with everything since he started in Kindergarten. The new principal has brought a great philosophy to the school, and every child gets to do the level of work he is capable of. My son gets pulled out for advanced math and is reading far above the level of a typical 2nd grader, and they support him in all of his interests. In fact, he did have some problems with the social aspects of school, and the school counselor invited him into a small group lunch time setting to work on those problems. I cannot express enough how happy we have been. My younger child is starting Kindergarten in the fall, and I look forward to seeing how they work with her!

Great school, great teachers and a wonderful principal. Very excited for the renovations to be finished.

Last modified Terraset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.