Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted April 05, 2016
Lindsay Trout is a phenomenal principal who truly cares about her students and their parents. Terraset is lucky to have her.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 05, 2016
We have been very pleased with every teacher we have had at Terraset. Additionally, Mrs. Dueno, the librarian is a great addition and I'm so glad all the students have the opportunity to be in her "classroom"

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted April 05, 2016
Principal Lindsay Trout fosters a caring and compassionate environment in the school. She is extremely involved and responsive and truly cares about her students and their parents.

Posted August 29, 2015
My child has had a great experience at Terraset. The reviewer who complained about fathers not being as welcome to participate is wrong -- dads are very welcome to volunteer at Terraset. My husband has spent as much time volunteering at school as I have. The Watchdogs program is not exclusive to our school, and yes there is a small fee, but it is so worth it. Ms. Trout is a fantastic principal and the renovations are beautiful. They took a cramped, badly outdated building and turned it into a gorgeous school, not sure why anyone would complain about that. Can't wait for the new year to start!

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 06, 2015
Clear instructions for homework are not given (this has been a problem multiple years.) Mostly the work is print offs (with typos) and when questions are raised the teacher's responses are usually, "I just printed it off, I didn't really look at it yet."

Terraset Elementary School 3

Posted August 06, 2015
With two children presently at Terraset, I've been disappointed that the quality of care and education doesn't match other Reston schools. If looking to buy, I'd pick a home in another boundary. Terraset is too focused on appearances and building renovations. Fathers wanting to volunteer are charged for the privilege (watchdogs.) Why in this day and age there would be a gender requirement for participation is beyond me. It certainly sends the wrong message to the children. Schools should reinforce that ALL adults are equal and therefore capable of doing ALL jobs. Teacher quality has been a mixed bag (some great, some quite bad.) Not even the principal lives in the community.

Posted June 16, 2015
We have one child finishing his 4th year at Terraset and another kindergarten. We absolutely love this school and are so lucky to have our kids enrolled there. The faculty, staff, and students are exceptional, providing a diverse, creative, productive, and educational environment. Principal Trout is incredibly involved and deeply cares about her students and school. We could not ask for a better school for our kids.

Posted May 30, 2014
My son is just finishing up second grade at Terraset. We have been so incredibly happy with everything since he started in Kindergarten. The new principal has brought a great philosophy to the school, and every child gets to do the level of work he is capable of. My son gets pulled out for advanced math and is reading far above the level of a typical 2nd grader, and they support him in all of his interests. In fact, he did have some problems with the social aspects of school, and the school counselor invited him into a small group lunch time setting to work on those problems. I cannot express enough how happy we have been. My younger child is starting Kindergarten in the fall, and I look forward to seeing how they work with her!

Posted April 18, 2014
Great school, great teachers and a wonderful principal. Very excited for the renovations to be finished.

Terraset Elementary School 2

Posted October 21, 2012
I had very bad experience at this school, one teacher my kid had was careless, lack of skills and punished my child for personal reason, not only in the classroom, but also by sending the administration false and intentionally misleading information.I'd give this teacher 0 star for the performance. some teachers are good,like the one my child had two years ago, that's why I am giving 4 stars for that reason. 2 stars average. The newly retired principal abused power, covered up to continuing her mismanagement. I am glad that there is a new principal now.I wish the teachers' quality could improve over the time under the new principal.

11411 Ridge Heights Rd, Reston, VA  20191
Last modified Terraset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.