Reston, VA

Hughes Middle School 2

Posted September 21, 2014
Hughes Middle School administration doesn't put the needs of students first. They have instituted illogical policies and scheduling systems. The administration is inflexible and office staff are unable to answer basic questions. Students attend class in trailers without restrooms in one of the richest counties in the United States. Despite this, there is fortunately good teacher and parent involvement and a wide choice of courses and activities.

Hughes Middle School 1

Posted May 13, 2014
I have been consistently disrespected by students when I substitute here. Many of the children that attend this school do not care, and many of the teachers has given up on them. I offered to help a student, but she told me "You're annoying me. Go away."

Hughes Middle School 5

Posted July 08, 2013
Excellent school with caring teachers and administrators. My child is a rising 8th grade AAP student and we've been very pleased overall and glad he decided to attend Hughes rather than his base school.

Hughes Middle School 5

Posted May 27, 2013
Middle school is difficult for any student anywhere is America. LHMS makes middle school as good as it can get.

Hughes Middle School

Posted October 03, 2009
My son's counselor ,Monica Crossley, is excellent.

Hughes Middle School 4

Posted May 29, 2007
My son is an 8th grade, non-GT student at Hughes & has had a very good experience. I've found the admin staff to be competent & friendly; the teachers dedicated, responsive & creative. The school is 1/3 GT, has a huge foreign language program (biggest in FCPS) & music/arts/theater programs that consistently wins top honors at competetion. Also a very active, functional PTA that funds & runs cool enrichment activities. I like that every student participates in the demanding IB Middle Years Program, which emphasizes critical thinking & writing. The vast majority of students at Hughes earn strong grades, participate in tons of activities, demonstrate great enthusiasm & school spirit, and leave Hughes with the skills they need to succeed in even the most challenging high school. After 2yrs at Hughes my own formerly struggling student is enrolled in honors courses for next year - wow!

Hughes Middle School 4

Posted July 05, 2005
Team B rocks! All the teachers have done a remarkable job in boosting my son's self-esteem! They have worked with him one-on-one when necessary and even given him the opportunity to tutor others when appropiate. As far as communicating with them: it's been a breeze; they will get back to you within 24 hours. Usually, though, it's within a few hours; at the end of the school day. I loved the pen-pal project his English teacher did for him; he actually enjoyed writing! His Social Studies teacher gave my student an opportunity to saturate his world with the culture by learning about the history of the country chosen,presenting artifacts and yummy treats; educational party. The Math class was made fun by having the students play games and build structures. The activity log kept my son exercising outside of PE! Science was made appetizing (at home)with an edible cell. We'll miss you!

Hughes Middle School
11401 Ridge Heights Rd, Reston, VA  20191
Last modified Hughes Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hughes Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top