Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

They focus on the phrase "Bloom where you are planted". I think this line of thinking is perfect. A school is just an extension of the community, we all need to work together to make this our home. This school has a great art, and music program. We have great teachers who care about the students. We have some of the smallest class sizes in Richmond. The assistant Principal Dr. Smith is wonderful and I believe they are grooming her to lead this school back to greatness. Come and see why JBC is right for your child. Be a part of your community and make the place you live wonderful. Take charge and contribute to our future in John B. Cary. Join the PTA, and lead our children to a brighter future. Much love and support from a local parent Peace

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I'm not happy with the teachers reaction to some events and when I brought it to her attention she turned it around on me. That's amazing

Amount of homework: Agree

The work and feedback is good but like all schools they concentrate on the SOL and not so much on education. Sol is only to help fund the school not a long term education for the child

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Because the school took my child that was being bullied and pointed the finger on him

My son has been bullied and they had the nerve to say it was him just because he is a nerdy type child. It is only 3 weeks into school and he has been hit in the chest 2x and pushed around and smacked and he is only 9. The anti bully policy is not in place and when my son got punched in the chest the teacher told him to brush it off. When he got hit on the bus the school did not request the video tapes to be pulled. If the school won't protect him then I will. They buz anyone into the school and so the school is not securing our children. Then don't ask for ID when picking up your child. This is the worst school I have ever been to. Be afraid to drop off your kid at John B Cary Elementary. Before my son would be bullied with words and it's only in the school that it became so physical. Kicking is one thing but a punch in the chest can damage or even kill a person. Breaking a rib can force the bone into the heart. I called the school board and apparently the is no one above the principal

I'm a parent of three girls that have gone or are going to John B. Cary. I'm also the PTA VP of the school. John B. Cary is a smaller size school so your child gets way more individual attention. Classroom size is usually no more than 15-17 students in grades K-4th grade, while the two 5th grade classes have the highest number of students at around 25 or so. The teachers are hard working and I can honestly say they teach because they believe in children. While the Principal and vice-principal may be new as of 2014-2015 school year they are not new at what they do and are very caring individuals. The school becomes more of a second family and if you are the kind of parent that likes to be involved than it a perfect fit! Don't be fooled by these bogus scores, Jbc is a great school with fantastic art, music, Spanish, and PE. resource teachers. We have a good selection of extracurricular activities for after school and a great after school program. I feel anytime you decide to attend a City school rather than a county school there will be a different set of issues, but as far as Jbc it doesn't get much better.

We love John B. Cary. Our daughter has attended several Richmond schools that we were not happy with. Only at Cary do we feel truly safe, happy, and secure. Our daughter has several medical issues but the staff has never failed to watch over her properly. The staff loves and cares for all the children and makes sure they get a great education and are allowed to have fun at the same time. The parents are friendly to one another and the teachers become like family. Everyone is welcome at Cary!

I am a proud Cary parent of two scholar students. We moved from a well funded school district in Westchester ,New York. I couldn't be happier with my children's education! Cary does not get enough recognition as the other local schools do. The teachers at Cary are very committed and love their job. Our principal is a warm and accommodating woman with strong leadership skills. As a whole,the school is a close-knit family and I feel confident that you will feel the same!

My family just moved here from CT and John B I find is one of the best schools my kids have attended

I have a 4-year old in the VPI program and I have been delighted with his progress. The emphasis on early literacy and numeracy, the teachers (Mrs. Brown is fantastic), the administrators (Mrs. Phillips is a great principal) and the general atmosphere of respect and learning led us to decide to keep our son there for kindergarten. I think Cary is going to be the next excellent public school in Richmond.

Last modified John B. Cary Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.