Richmond, VA

Posted March 13, 2015
Mary Munford has exceeded our explications in almost every way. Which the City had a middle school this great. Only negative things I can say about the school are: 1. Very poor and outdated communication (Seems like they are working in that). 2. The building and systems are very outdated but still above par for the City of Richmond.

Mary Munford Elementary School 1

Posted November 23, 2014
Mary Munford is a place we are happy to never go back to. Grades K-2 are fine. But it gets bad after that. Teachers do not care about teaching only SOL. Give kids work that is just not appropriate for that age group. Disappointing at best.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 25, 2014
The teachers care and the community takes ownership in the school. Overall a positive outlook.

Posted August 01, 2013
This is an idyllic place to educate a child. Attentive teachers and staff. Bright, cheerful, safe facility. Lots of parent involvement. While I have had my differences with a teacher or staff member, each person patiently took the time to talk things out and meet me half-way. I am so pleased to see the difference this school has made in my children's lives. Wonderful!

Posted March 20, 2013
I have two children currently attending Mary Munford and it is a wonderful school. The principal is outstanding and there are high expectations for students from the very caring teachers. Parents are extremely involved and are not afraid to advocate for change if it is needed. Kindergarten registration is an example of this. Three years ago, when enrolling my child, registration was unorganized and not "user friendly". Parents got involved and completely revamped registration, making it an inviting and reassuring process for entering families. The programs and yearly events are fun and very family oriented. In an area where many parents send their children to private school, Mary Munford provides a safe, fun, and academically challenging alternative.

Posted September 12, 2011
The teachers are amazing at Mary Munford. I have been blown away by the work ethic there. The principal is a great man. Very little turnover here. The PTA support is off the charts.

Posted August 30, 2011
Mary Munford is the best public elementary school in Richmond, VA. I will tell you that if you want your child to have a great experience, its your job as the parent to be involved. I have a son going to 3rd grade this year and a daughter going to 5 grade this year. My daughter has always had excellent teachers who challenge her every step of the way. My son this year will finally have a teacher that will challenge him. We are very excited and looking forward to the new school year!!

Posted June 29, 2011
I found grade 3 - 5 to be outstanding...perhaps even better than K - 2. Very rigorous program with high expectations of students. My child was doing math in grade 5 that I did not learn until 8th! Wonderful teachers who take time to work with the really bright kids and the few who are struggling.

Posted May 27, 2011
Everyone mentions that this school is great, but wow - it has blown away my high expectations for education. The teachers, administrators, and parents are absolutely amazing! I had no idea they would learn so much in kindergarten. They also work hard to keep low ratios and the students are always seeing different teachers for enrichment activities. Everyone is very involved and everyone works together as a team. The best!

Posted May 12, 2011
Hands down Richmond's best public elementary school. Strong continuity of leadership and gifted, experienced, emotionally engaged teachers set the tone, but it is the incredible level of parent participation that puts this school in a class by itself. Our family recently relocated away from Richmond, and we count Mary Munford among the city's treasures that we miss most.

Mary Munford Elementary School
211 Westmoreland Ave, Richmond, VA  23226
Last modified Mary Munford Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Munford Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top