Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops character: Neutral

Don't know enough. But I hope the students get the education they deserve. I known I did 50 years ago.

Stopped by when I heard the school was reopening. I graduated from Summer Hill 50 years ago this past June. Some things have changed but the auditorium was full of great memories and a few ghosts. Ignore the bad reviews folks. If this school does for its new students what it did for my friends and me they will have a wonderful experience.

Good riddance to this scary school. It smelled like urine, my kids said it had roaches in the lunch room. The pta attendance was sad.

I'm quite appalled at some of the reviews here. Considering my experiences at Summer Hill, I'd have to say I'm discouraged at the lack of parents wanting to help better the school's environment for their children. I am not saying that the school is perfect, as there are many things (like any other school you'd put your child in) that could be improved upon, some of which are getting better even now. The fact is that you put into your child's education what you get out of it. If you feel there is something missing in the school, you could at least offer options to help with academic improvement. I know for sure the instructional leaders, teachers, and staff would love to work with parents that are more enthusiastic about helping the school prosper and not putting it down without so much of a helpful suggestion.

I am a parent of a child that is in attendance at this school and I too agree that this is one of the WORST schools that I have encountered. The lack of colorful attributes that should be implemented in an elementary school is evident. The office staff are less than professional, including the administrative personnel that are the first people you see that should set the tone when entering the school is less than desirable. I was very discouraged that this school was the school my child has to go to because we purchased a home without researching how it would impact our child's education. The classroom size is horrible, and a lack of positive elements to help the children excel. I am SOO disappointed and afraid for my child's future. We are now trying to put him in private school so he does not have to return next year.

All schools have positive and negative attributes, and Summer Hill is no exception. While I know that there are areas which can be improved upon, I believe that this school, in no way, is deserving of the written 'flogging' of the parent review I just read. Summer Hill has more than its fair share of dedicated, caring teachers, staff, and administrators. The parent who authored that poor review could not begin to know about the truly outstanding individuals at Summer Hill who could easily find positions elsewhere, but choose to commit themselves to the betterment of children in the inner city. Summer Hill is an urban school. There is no getting around that. But from the principal and assistant principal right on down to the support staff, everyone takes rigorous interest in the success of our children and continuing improvement of our school.

This is the worst school my kids have ever been too. It is unorganized and chaotic to say the least and the amount of kids that were in my son's class was terrible. I was up the school so much for issues during the school year that I should have been a member of the staff and this school is the reason I decided to leave Richmond school district and come to Chesterfield. I wouldn't recommend this school to teach my dog let alone my kids so needless to say I will not be moving back to this school zone ever again.

Last modified Summer Hill/Ruffin Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5