Richmond, VA

Posted May 10, 2013
My daughter attend this school from switching from Fox. She thoroughly enjoys the school. The camaraderie and school spirit is undeniable. She has been challenged in ways that you would expect when you are paying for your child's education and has become a better learner and now knows how to study. Great experience overall!

Posted March 21, 2012
It is a mother's JOY to have my daughter at St. Benedict's! My daughter is a kindergartener, and as devout Catholics, my husband and I want a strong educational enviroment for our children, with solid Catholic formation. Thanks be to God that St. Benedict's is here to BE that beacon! It is such a loving, warm extension of the home - providing our daughter with a wonderful first step into school, while supporting her growth in her Christian faith. We feel very blessed to be a part of this authentic school family - and FAMILY is exactly what it is!!

Posted March 13, 2012
As a parent of a current student at St. Benedict's , I can personally attest to the wonderful education that my child receives at St. Benedict's. The faculty and staff are among the most caring and supportive people I have ever met. My child loves to go to school everyday. We have the ability to send our child to any private school in the area. We chose St. Benedict and have never been disappointed in that selection. Saint Benedict's provides an environment of academic excellence within a framework of genuine love and concern.

Posted March 13, 2012
This is Richmond's only Catholic "classical curriculum". Singapore math, Latin starts in 1st, rhetoric, logic, Excellence in Writing program, quality literature, Shurley Grammar, history (not social studies), daily music, outstanding art, iPads, Spanish, cursive, an integrated curriculum, & instruction in Trivium (grammar, logic, rhetoric stages of learning). To parents who are discriminating, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU. Faith instruction at heart of learning environment. Almost all teachers are Catholic; important for handing down the faith. Monthly virtue winners are voted on among the students; discipline program great. To those who say, not enough sports , I say, that s not why you pick a school ; it s is about training kids hearts and minds for adult life. Do sports thru Y or club teams! Chastity program = awesome. Children eat in a dining hall, say prayers thru-out day. Lunch provided by organic caterer. Faculty - hard-pressed to find more qualified group; credentials on web. Parish s pastor is man on a mission to make school a diocesan/national flagship. The principal is a true leader; humble devout man. The school values all the right things. Truly a best-kept secret.

St Benedict School 1

Posted January 27, 2012
As a parent here I read and agree with all of the wonderful past reviews of SBS. But things have changed ..... There has been a huge change in philosophy in the administration and operations at the school. Over the past 18 months, the parish has decided to "return the school to a traditional Catholic program" and this transition has come at a price. Poor (and in most cases no) communication between administration and teachers has become "back channel" directives from the parish directly to teachers without the knowledge of administration or even affected parents. The school seems to be in free fall and lacks the desire make any corrections for fear of the parish. Lack of an adequate PE program, mostly due to lack of facilities, classroom-locks the kids in need of mental release. Support for outside athletics is minimal and you will rarely see staff in attendance, much less lending a hand to the volunteer parents who run them. Day after day of my child coming home feeling and looking mentally beat up is just not worth the savings in tuition over comparable schools. After years of great steps forward, we have lost ground at an incredible pace this year. Very sad indeed.

Posted June 05, 2011
Everyday I am thankful that we discovered St. Benedict. This school has been an absolutely wonderful experience for my children and entire family. The teachers have been wonderful!! So kind, compassionate and helpful, wanting and helping each child achieve their potential. They aer also developing more and more extracurricular activities such as the guitar club and Salt and Light Theatre group. There are many oportunities for children to grow and develop academically, socially and spiritually. We look forward to the next few years!

Posted December 13, 2010
What a great place for children to grow! We searched for some time for the right school for our family and Saint Benedict suits us perfectly. My children are getting a great Catholic education alongside their academics. The school is my true partner in raising virtuous children in this difficult world. It feels like the faculty and staff are part of our extended family. I am a public school teacher, and I can tell you that although some public schools offer fancier "extras", none can offer the sense of community and purpose that Saint Benedict does.

Posted December 13, 2010
This school offers so much in fine arts and after-school clubs: the children's choir, the Salt & Light Theater company, the Richmond Ballet's MINDS IN MOTION program, the chess team, LEGO club, dance club, guitar club, piano lessons, boy and girl scouting, and more!

Posted April 24, 2010
My oldest son has begun his first year (first grade) at St. Benedict School. We started him at the local public school near our Ginter Park neighborhood. I can honestly say that the difference between public and Catholic education is unbelievable. I am so happy that we made the switch before middle school. I have already seen wonderful growth spiritually and socially in our son. St. Benedict is so much more than academics. They really teach the whole boy/girl. On top of spiritual and moral values, the top rate education is proven by which local high schools students of St. Benedicts are accepted to and attending. The staff at St. Benedict is awesome and the principal there exceeds expectations. Their mission statement shows that this school 'walks the walk'.

Posted April 22, 2010
St. Benedict Catholic School has been everything and more that our family was looking for in a school. It is a K-8, co-ed school and located in the Museum District of Richmond. (I am clarifying that because so many confuse St. Benedict School with Benedictine which is the all-boys Catholic high school nearby.) My daughter has had such amazing educational and spiritual growth there. I love that there are high expectations of the students and a true sense of virtue among them that one would not find in a public school. Tuition is affordable and less than most other private schools in the area and less than what most people pay for daycare annually. The academics and faculty are amazing with many of the students going on to great high schools like Maggie Walker Governor s School, St. Gertrude s, and Benedictine. St. Benedict Catholic School is Richmond s best kept secret!

St Benedict School