Richmond, VA

Posted May 13, 2015
I have nothing but great things to say about this school. The school has totally allowed my child to excel in academics, leadership and sports. This school holds the boys and faculty accountable for their actions and I think a lot of the negativity is from people who do not agree with this philosophy. I can honestly say that my child is ready to be an asset to society because of what he learned at this school.

Benedictine College Preparatory 2

Posted February 24, 2015
Be warned if you have visited the website! It is very out of date; most of the teachers don't work there anymore. None of the clubs exist. If your son doesn't play sports, there is literally nothing else for him to do to get involved. This is a jock school, period. There seems to be a lot of drama in the administration... three teachers were "let go" this year alone! Continuity is a problem and the boys hate the administrators. My advice: keep looking!

Posted October 12, 2014
Benedictine is not the same school it once was. The current headmaster and the present "board" are not qualified to be in the positions in which they are in. The board has parents with kids at competing schools; no current parents sit on the board and many of the board members do not even show up at ANY events throughout the school year. The headmaster has NO Advanced education degree and a VERY Limited background in education...not even close to enough to warrant running a once-prestigious school as Benedictine. He does't engage alumni and thinks fundraising is unnecessary. Headmaster lives in a million dollar home, all the while pleading poverty for the school. Benedictine has NO gym and has no plans for one...you kind of have to fundraise for that. Communication is NONEXISTENT -- doesn't engage current parents and no alumni events. The board and the administration are all YES MEN. Academics are extremely limited which most of the teachers not having any teaching certifications or qualifications. Headmaster (who replaced a man who was qualified to run the school) gets rid of teachers from prior administrations, who actually are more qualified than he is to run the school.

Posted September 14, 2014
Honestly all of these parents writing responses can't give you a full inside review of what our school is ACTUALLY like. I'm tired of these bad reviews that give us a bad name. My teachers are some of the most committing I've ever had (and k-8 I went to public school), they're willing to stay with you after school and they'll work with you as much as they can to help you keep your grades up and fully understand a topic. Also, even though many people and students aren't very fond of our current headmaster, he disciplines us and helps us become better me all the while working to get more donations to build things such as a new gym to continue to famous Benedictine legacy. Our sports are superior to almost every other school and the orientation brings you much closer to your fellow classmates. I can be 100% honest when saying that in 2 years Benedictine has made me much more stronger mentally as have I progressed tremendously in my Christian faith. Benedictine isn't easy to survive, but it's worth it in the end. I love my highschool.

Posted August 11, 2014
The board and current headmaster are the reason my son (current alumni with a middle school-aged kid) will not be attending my alma mater. They feel the need to plead poverty while purchasing a million dollar home for the headmaster to reside in. Very dismissive of alumni and current parents who provide constructive criticism. Board members have children at competing schools....

Posted June 22, 2014
Tried to get my child in this school, they wouldnt give him a chance. My kid plays basketball, football and baseball. The high school that he was leaving didnt give him a chance so when they found out he was leaving they bad mouth him to benedictine. He never fail he would've went into Benedictine with 19 credits, My son is a senior, I wanted to reclass him because hes only sixteen, thinking this school would help him. Never got in trouble.

Posted June 11, 2014
I must disagree with the negative comment below. This school was an answer to our prayers. Our son struggled academically throughout elementary and middle school. He has done nothing but thrive at Benedictine. His self confidence has improved tremendously and his academic sucess cannot be measured. Sure he has had his bad days but all kids do. Most teachers are very responsive and helpful. My son has been spiritually, academically and athletically.

Posted December 22, 2013
The school is poorly run. They have an orientation that demeans newcomers; the teachers are not committed to your child, all behaviors that contribute to poor self esteem. The teachers are quick to place children on academic probation and does not offer any help or program that gets them from their to success, thereby contributing and creating in your child poor self esteem and negative psychological development. Their "so called" military program is fake at best, does not hold the students accountable for anything which is also damaging to the child. The only thing the school is consistent and strong in is their catholism program (that we were not interested in), collecting and fund raising. They have no real process or methods for developing any integrity, character, or academic skills in a child who comes there in need. If you meet a minority child who has gone through their program, they cannot confidently look you in the face, give you a firm handshake, or engage in a conversation because they lack confidence to do so.

Posted December 22, 2013
If the school gives you financial aid; because you have limited funds; and no money for a tutor; and your child is not sharpest knife in the drawer, BE WARE! Is not in compliance with the NCLB law and is unable to bridge the gap from failure to success. He will struggle and become unmotivated. Will receive no extra help from the teachers if he really doesn't really need go to school because knows everything, by all means enroll him. Otherwise, save yourself money and frustration by looking a public magnet program that offers an advance placement (AP), credit recovery, up to date math, science, and technology curriculum, and you have the added benefit of extra money for a tutor. The military aspect is window dressing at its best. He will be demeaned as a freshmen and treated with disdain. The school's claims to "build men of conscience" in reality build "men no conscience," thereby contributing to poor self-esteem, lack of confidence, hopelessness and juvenile delinquency. Finally, if you are not catholic and don't want catholism emphasized, He will learn it or fail. The school is a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing. BEWARE!!!

Benedictine College Preparatory 3

Posted May 19, 2012
Academically the school is strong in many areas, but is very hit-or-miss in areas such as math and science. Technology education is virtually non-existent. There is a great interest in "recruiting" strong athletes under the guise of giving lower socio-economic students a chance at a better education. While i am happy that the student body is diverse racially and socio-econonically, I feel that the interest in having a strong sports program is too great. When my son was looking at high schools i was apprehensive about a catholic military school, but i was assured that theology and leadership were at the core of these two aspects of the school. Unfortunately I have found that with the current administration this is not the case. My son has been taught that catholicism is the superior religion and that their conservative dogma is what he should believe. This goes against most of the beliefs of our family. Also, the military program does not teach the leadership characteristics that we value as a family. It teaches the military leadership ideals of do as you're told, then if you are willing to suck up to the cadre you will reach the highest level of leadership within the corps.

Benedictine College Preparatory
304 North Sheppard Street, Richmond, VA  23221
Last modified Benedictine College Preparatory is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Benedictine College Preparatory Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top