No rating

Luther Memorial School

Private | PK-8 | 157 students

Living in Richmond

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $175,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted September 4, 2013

My children attended the school from 2011-2013. As far as I am concerned it was a colossal waste of my time to get them there and money. There was no accountability on the administrative side. When I transferred my children back into public school, they were behind. My children are both very smart and could have moved through the material taught at each grade level more quickly, but were held back by the other students who did not grasp concepts as quickly. Since the class sizes were smaller and they weren't supposed to have the discipline problems that the larger classes in the public schools have, we had thought the varied level of learning ability could be more easily dealt with, but it was not. In fact, it seems the lower to mid levels were accommodated, while my children (and other more efficient learners) stagnated. When I tried to take concerns to the administration, the principal denied responsibility for decisions and my concerns about the education at the school. When I attempted to contact the "Board", there were no contact numbers, emails or other such information available. Send your kid to this school if you want to waste your money, or are desperate!

Posted March 21, 2012

Luther Memorial School has been a great experience for our family. Luther provided a safe, nurturing, diverse, and structured learning environment for our children. We had two children who attended Luther for eight years and we were pleased with the quality of education, the dedication of the teachers, and religious instruction. The students are academically challenged and well prepared. As working parents, we appreciated the convenience of the extended care program whenever we needed to use it. Luther alums have succeeded wherever they have gone and often return to support the school. The parents and kids at Luther also have fun! The activities are varied and range from theater, tag days, pep rallies, international night, basketball tournaments, to soccer games, just to name a few. We consider ourselves blessed to have had children who attended Luther Memorial School.

Posted October 29, 2009

We had the wonderful opportunity to enroll our daughter for the 2008/2009 school year for eighth grade. She really blossomed and became her own person while attending Luther Memorial. Her fellow classmates were very welcoming, even though many of them had been together from 1st grade up. The atmosphere is very open and accepting. The principal allowed the 8th graders the ability to have a little more free reign to prepare for high school. I always felt more than welcome to contact the school and or the teachers for any reason. Based on her year of attending Luther she was well prepared to take upper level Spanish and Math classes at the high school she now attends. My only reget is that we did not have her enrolled at Luther for her earlier years of education, particularly her sixth and seventh grades.

Posted December 6, 2008

My child attended LMS for pre-kindergarten and is now in Kindergarten. I could not be happier with the school. He has developed a love of learning and self confidence that is noticeable to our family and friends. Both my husband and I appreciate the consistent discipline and academic standards that are present at LMS. My son has greatly benefitted from the small class sizes and various curricula offered at the school (e.g., Spanish, art, religious studies, Title I Bypass Program). We will continue to enroll him in this friendly, child-centered school and plan to sign him up for their enriching summer program this year.

Posted August 24, 2008

Luther has been and continues to be an excellent school for our children! The school year will begin soon and I know our kids will be challenged academically and loved unconditionally by their teachers and the administration. My son is looking forward to being a part of the Lego Robotics League and being a part of the LMS soccer team. My daughter is looking forward to being back with her friends and learning more exciting history from her middle school history teacher. I am looking forward to anoher year of being an active involved parent. Luther has been a great experience for our whole family and I highly recommend it to any family intersted in an academically challenging and very friendly private school!!

Posted June 25, 2008

Luther Memorial is a fabulous school where children are loved and academically challenged! On the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, which were given in May 2008, my child scored in the 99th percentile! I know without a doubt that he will be ready to attend the high school of his choice in a few years. I have found both the administration and teachers to be dedicated, friendly, hard working, and most importantly loving to both my child and my family. What a wonderful experience Luther has been for us, and how sad it is to see a negative review on this site. We think Luther is absolutly the best school in the Richmond area! Luther also well known for its fabulous and creative summer arts program during the summer!

Posted April 29, 2008

What a disappointing experience we have had at Luther. The administration is weak and ineffective, the school board is secretive and equally ineffective, and the teachers are not knowledgable enough to challenge students at their level. The school lacks vision and organization to the point of chaos.

Posted November 8, 2007

We have used this school for two years now and found the staff to be very friendly, and parental involvment good. However, the school lacks leadership from the interim principal currently in the position. While teachers are nice, I have found them to be lacking in the ability to differentiate their curriculum to assist students of various learning styles or abilities. Rote memorization and constant drill are the only teaching styles I have observed so far. This school is lacking in music, art, math and science. Homework is generally an hour or less for the lower elementary grades.

Posted September 14, 2006

Luther Memorial is a filled with students and teachers that truly care each other. The Academic scores from the Annual testing are one of the highest in the area. Since the school has small class sizes, the children all get to know one another and become great friends. The parents are involved with school sports, activities and the chidden's education. It is a wonderful school. I love it!

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Fax number
  • (804) 321-2884

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious