PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted September 03, 2015
I did always feel like my daughter got a great education and the teachers we had were amazing. But, the administration and the school board are terrible. Zero transparency with families. At one point, I found out the administration was relaying my confidential emails to another parent. The decision to make students wear uniforms was made after the enrollment date which would have affected decisions. The school is WAY outdated in terms of technology and is in disrepair. The resources are seriously lacking, where is the tuition money going?? There are no sports programs, no activities. The school needs a change in leadership.

Posted August 03, 2015
My daughter attended LMS 1st and 2nd grade. Luther is a small school that is really more like a family. The teachers are very friendly and the administrative staff are caring. I love how the principal meets the kids at the door everyday. My daughter was slightly behind prior to attending LMS and now she is an accelerated reader. The only reason I did not rate the school as "great" is their communication with parents. Often very important items are disseminated via a news letter which is not good for busy working parents and the communication to close school during inclement weather needs to be revised. There is no such thing as a perfect school, but I actually cried on our last day. My son came to LMS for preschool and he advanced from not knowing how to write to ending the year with reading. The teachers definitely push the children to succeed, but the majority of the time is focused on their emotional growth. As a working parent it is wonderful to drop your kids off and know that they are in a safe caring environment. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a good education, nurturing environment, and caring staff.

Posted January 26, 2015
Luther is a small school where everyone feels like family. The children have prayer and chapel days. Religion is my 2nd graders favorite class because he learns about Jesus, his words :) The staff is well trained and friendly, the principal meets the children at the door everyday and I feel better knowing my children are in a safe learning environment. If you haven't already you really must check out Luther Memorial for your child, you won't be sorry!

Posted September 04, 2013
My children attended the school from 2011-2013. As far as I am concerned it was a colossal waste of my time to get them there and money. There was no accountability on the administrative side. When I transferred my children back into public school, they were behind. My children are both very smart and could have moved through the material taught at each grade level more quickly, but were held back by the other students who did not grasp concepts as quickly. Since the class sizes were smaller and they weren't supposed to have the discipline problems that the larger classes in the public schools have, we had thought the varied level of learning ability could be more easily dealt with, but it was not. In fact, it seems the lower to mid levels were accommodated, while my children (and other more efficient learners) stagnated. When I tried to take concerns to the administration, the principal denied responsibility for decisions and my concerns about the education at the school. When I attempted to contact the "Board", there were no contact numbers, emails or other such information available. Send your kid to this school if you want to waste your money, or are desperate!

Posted March 21, 2012
Luther Memorial School has been a great experience for our family. Luther provided a safe, nurturing, diverse, and structured learning environment for our children. We had two children who attended Luther for eight years and we were pleased with the quality of education, the dedication of the teachers, and religious instruction. The students are academically challenged and well prepared. As working parents, we appreciated the convenience of the extended care program whenever we needed to use it. Luther alums have succeeded wherever they have gone and often return to support the school. The parents and kids at Luther also have fun! The activities are varied and range from theater, tag days, pep rallies, international night, basketball tournaments, to soccer games, just to name a few. We consider ourselves blessed to have had children who attended Luther Memorial School.

Posted October 29, 2009
We had the wonderful opportunity to enroll our daughter for the 2008/2009 school year for eighth grade. She really blossomed and became her own person while attending Luther Memorial. Her fellow classmates were very welcoming, even though many of them had been together from 1st grade up. The atmosphere is very open and accepting. The principal allowed the 8th graders the ability to have a little more free reign to prepare for high school. I always felt more than welcome to contact the school and or the teachers for any reason. Based on her year of attending Luther she was well prepared to take upper level Spanish and Math classes at the high school she now attends. My only reget is that we did not have her enrolled at Luther for her earlier years of education, particularly her sixth and seventh grades.

Luther Memorial School 4

Posted December 06, 2008
My child attended LMS for pre-kindergarten and is now in Kindergarten. I could not be happier with the school. He has developed a love of learning and self confidence that is noticeable to our family and friends. Both my husband and I appreciate the consistent discipline and academic standards that are present at LMS. My son has greatly benefitted from the small class sizes and various curricula offered at the school (e.g., Spanish, art, religious studies, Title I Bypass Program). We will continue to enroll him in this friendly, child-centered school and plan to sign him up for their enriching summer program this year.

Luther Memorial School

Posted August 24, 2008
Luther has been and continues to be an excellent school for our children! The school year will begin soon and I know our kids will be challenged academically and loved unconditionally by their teachers and the administration. My son is looking forward to being a part of the Lego Robotics League and being a part of the LMS soccer team. My daughter is looking forward to being back with her friends and learning more exciting history from her middle school history teacher. I am looking forward to anoher year of being an active involved parent. Luther has been a great experience for our whole family and I highly recommend it to any family intersted in an academically challenging and very friendly private school!!

Posted June 25, 2008
Luther Memorial is a fabulous school where children are loved and academically challenged! On the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, which were given in May 2008, my child scored in the 99th percentile! I know without a doubt that he will be ready to attend the high school of his choice in a few years. I have found both the administration and teachers to be dedicated, friendly, hard working, and most importantly loving to both my child and my family. What a wonderful experience Luther has been for us, and how sad it is to see a negative review on this site. We think Luther is absolutly the best school in the Richmond area! Luther also well known for its fabulous and creative summer arts program during the summer!

Posted April 29, 2008
What a disappointing experience we have had at Luther. The administration is weak and ineffective, the school board is secretive and equally ineffective, and the teachers are not knowledgable enough to challenge students at their level. The school lacks vision and organization to the point of chaos.

Luther Memorial School
1301 Robin Hood Road, Richmond, VA  23227
Last modified Luther Memorial School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Luther Memorial School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top