PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Permanently closed. Abandoned by the church and abandoned by leadership. So sad for the dedicated teachers and dedicated parents and students.

Luther is a small school that recently used "Richmond's Best Kept Secret" as it's slogan. Well it should definitely be kept a secret! Enrollment has dropped significantly in the past 5 years. May be due to lack of leadership, the school has gone through 4 principals in that amount of time. Current principal does not enforce discipline in students. Can think of at least 4 cases of student violence against other students in one classroom alone in the past year. School has resorted to accepting "special needs" students and other students that have been expelled from different schools simply to fill seats. This makes for quite a bit of disruption in the classroom for the average student. Teachers have to spend more time with "special" students they are not equipped to handle therefore neglecting the average student. The building is in serious disrepair. When it rains they put wastebaskets out to catch the drips from the ceiling. In the past school year 2 parents had their vehicles broken into in broad daylight! Teachers are competent and care deeply for their students or else many would have left by now. They are not supported by administration nor backed up when difficult students need to be reprimanded. Teachers are left feeling unappreciated by administration when their concerns are not addressed. Parents pay to send their children to private school because they want them to get a better education in a safer environment. If a private school can't offer that why waste your money there?

I did always feel like my daughter got a great education and the teachers we had were amazing. But, the administration and the school board are terrible. Zero transparency with families. At one point, I found out the administration was relaying my confidential emails to another parent. The decision to make students wear uniforms was made after the enrollment date which would have affected decisions. The school is WAY outdated in terms of technology and is in disrepair. The resources are seriously lacking, where is the tuition money going?? There are no sports programs, no activities. The school needs a change in leadership.

My daughter attended LMS 1st and 2nd grade. Luther is a small school that is really more like a family. The teachers are very friendly and the administrative staff are caring. I love how the principal meets the kids at the door everyday. My daughter was slightly behind prior to attending LMS and now she is an accelerated reader. The only reason I did not rate the school as "great" is their communication with parents. Often very important items are disseminated via a news letter which is not good for busy working parents and the communication to close school during inclement weather needs to be revised. There is no such thing as a perfect school, but I actually cried on our last day. My son came to LMS for preschool and he advanced from not knowing how to write to ending the year with reading. The teachers definitely push the children to succeed, but the majority of the time is focused on their emotional growth. As a working parent it is wonderful to drop your kids off and know that they are in a safe caring environment. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a good education, nurturing environment, and caring staff.

My children attended the school from 2011-2013. As far as I am concerned it was a colossal waste of my time to get them there and money. There was no accountability on the administrative side. When I transferred my children back into public school, they were behind. My children are both very smart and could have moved through the material taught at each grade level more quickly, but were held back by the other students who did not grasp concepts as quickly. Since the class sizes were smaller and they weren't supposed to have the discipline problems that the larger classes in the public schools have, we had thought the varied level of learning ability could be more easily dealt with, but it was not. In fact, it seems the lower to mid levels were accommodated, while my children (and other more efficient learners) stagnated. When I tried to take concerns to the administration, the principal denied responsibility for decisions and my concerns about the education at the school. When I attempted to contact the "Board", there were no contact numbers, emails or other such information available. Send your kid to this school if you want to waste your money, or are desperate!

Luther Memorial School has been a great experience for our family. Luther provided a safe, nurturing, diverse, and structured learning environment for our children. We had two children who attended Luther for eight years and we were pleased with the quality of education, the dedication of the teachers, and religious instruction. The students are academically challenged and well prepared. As working parents, we appreciated the convenience of the extended care program whenever we needed to use it. Luther alums have succeeded wherever they have gone and often return to support the school. The parents and kids at Luther also have fun! The activities are varied and range from theater, tag days, pep rallies, international night, basketball tournaments, to soccer games, just to name a few. We consider ourselves blessed to have had children who attended Luther Memorial School.

We had the wonderful opportunity to enroll our daughter for the 2008/2009 school year for eighth grade. She really blossomed and became her own person while attending Luther Memorial. Her fellow classmates were very welcoming, even though many of them had been together from 1st grade up. The atmosphere is very open and accepting. The principal allowed the 8th graders the ability to have a little more free reign to prepare for high school. I always felt more than welcome to contact the school and or the teachers for any reason. Based on her year of attending Luther she was well prepared to take upper level Spanish and Math classes at the high school she now attends. My only reget is that we did not have her enrolled at Luther for her earlier years of education, particularly her sixth and seventh grades.

My child attended LMS for pre-kindergarten and is now in Kindergarten. I could not be happier with the school. He has developed a love of learning and self confidence that is noticeable to our family and friends. Both my husband and I appreciate the consistent discipline and academic standards that are present at LMS. My son has greatly benefitted from the small class sizes and various curricula offered at the school (e.g., Spanish, art, religious studies, Title I Bypass Program). We will continue to enroll him in this friendly, child-centered school and plan to sign him up for their enriching summer program this year.

Luther has been and continues to be an excellent school for our children! The school year will begin soon and I know our kids will be challenged academically and loved unconditionally by their teachers and the administration. My son is looking forward to being a part of the Lego Robotics League and being a part of the LMS soccer team. My daughter is looking forward to being back with her friends and learning more exciting history from her middle school history teacher. I am looking forward to anoher year of being an active involved parent. Luther has been a great experience for our whole family and I highly recommend it to any family intersted in an academically challenging and very friendly private school!!

Luther Memorial is a fabulous school where children are loved and academically challenged! On the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, which were given in May 2008, my child scored in the 99th percentile! I know without a doubt that he will be ready to attend the high school of his choice in a few years. I have found both the administration and teachers to be dedicated, friendly, hard working, and most importantly loving to both my child and my family. What a wonderful experience Luther has been for us, and how sad it is to see a negative review on this site. We think Luther is absolutly the best school in the Richmond area! Luther also well known for its fabulous and creative summer arts program during the summer!

Last modified Luther Memorial School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8