Richmond, VA

Posted June 24, 2015
We have three children at The Steward School and have been at the school 6 years. Each year we become more invested, enthusiastic, dedicated and involved in this amazing community. Each of our children excels at Steward in different ways. For one, it was the academic challenge they needed to step it up a notch. For one, the academics and social climate were just right for meeting them where they were and carrying them further towards thier potential. For the third, the class size provided the environment for the teachers to really get to know them and draw them out in their weak areas and help them trust and believe in their strengths. For all three, the athletic program has truly enhanced their natural talent and introduced them to activities or sports they would not have tried otherwise. The lessons learned being part of a team and out on the field have enhanced the lessons they are learning in the classroom. The athletic department views the students as "student athletes" and places high value on academics as well as athletics. We feel so fortunate to be a part of such an amazing school community.

Posted June 16, 2015
Having been able to experience Lower, Middle, and Upper School, I could not be more pleased with my children's opportunities at Steward! Lower School is a place of magic and warmth! Learning, thinking, and doing are always first and foremost of importance, but there is always an adventure to be had as well! The Middle School fosters independence through its combination of academic challenges and co-curricular activities. The Upper School delivers robust academics, leadership opportunities, international travel, and a plethora of sports and clubs. All of this is done in an environment that challenges each individual student to excel, while at the same time fostering a great sense of community!

Posted June 15, 2015
I have two boys at the Steward School. One is about to enter high school and the other will graduate this year. The "loving push", as I call it, that the faculty, administrators, and coaches have given them has taken my children beyond my expectations and their own. The teachers and facilities are second-to-none, and there are challenges and opportunities to meet the students where they are and take them where they never thought they could go. The culture of integrity, kindness and respect is ever-present along the way.

Posted May 29, 2015
Today was the last day of my son's first year at Steward. We are all sad. This has been his best year ever. He started this fall in the 6th grade and had we known how wonderful this school is, we would have started him in kindergarten. His self confidence went through the roof this year and this is thanks to all the wonderful people at Steward. Everyone is truly incredible at this school. Everyone I have met working here is passionate about their jobs and the children they teach. I feel so lucky to be a part of the Steward family.

Posted May 23, 2015
Our Steward story began 9 years ago when we first stepped foot on campus. Although we had driven by the school hundreds of times in our daily comings and goings, we had never taken the time to take a closer look. The tour of the facilities knocked our socks off, but we were even more impressed by what we saw happening in the classrooms, studios and on the fields - true engagement. As you search for independent schools in the Richmond area Steward is a must see - WOW! Steward has been the perfect fit for all five of our children.

Posted March 27, 2015
Enrolling our son at The Steward School is hands down the best decision we have ever made for him. He is happy, thriving, and loves going off to school each day. The small class sizes (13-14 per 2nd grade class) and nurturing environment have instilled a sense of confidence in our child, and he is simultaneously being challenged at an appropriate level. We looked at many schools before deciding on Steward, and can honestly say that no school in town -- public or private -- could be doing more for him. Happy child, happy parents.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 28, 2014
I attended Steward from 6th to 12th grade. Steward prepared me for college in many different aspects - public speaking, writing, group projects, etc. Steward's classrooms are small which allowed me grow individually as a student. Whether it was reading out loud, forming relationships with my peers and teachers, asking for help, or participating in group discussions, Steward helped me build confidence in these aspects of a classroom. When I attended a large college, I knew that I would be able to succeed because of the preparation I received as a Steward student.

Posted May 20, 2014
The Steward School has achieved amazing results with my three children. The small class sizes and close-knit school community contribute to academic success and personal development.
4 people found this helpful

Posted May 20, 2014
Steward is a wonderful option for our two children. The teachers know our children and challenge them accordingly. The kids are exposed to many opportunities for engagement-- allowing them to discover their interests and talents. Steward is not a one size fits all environment, which will continue to allow our children to grow and evolve.
4 people found this helpful

Posted April 08, 2014
Steward School is by far the best independent school in the Richmond area. I the two years our daughter has attended she has been well cared for and the education revived has been bar none. Steward doesn't just have a strong integrated educational, social\emotional, language and arts curriculum but also, empowers children with pursuing their passion in life. The faculty has been absolutely fabulous toward our entire family and all staff and faculty knows our daughter by name! There has not been a single occasion in which we have questioned our decision to send our daughter to Steward!

The Steward School