Richmond, VA

Posted October 28, 2014
Our daughter has been a Lower School student at St. Catherine's for 3 years, and we could not be happier. The school's focus on educating girls, the high caliber of the teachers and staff, and the warm, welcoming community have all made our experience at St. Catherine's a wonderful one. When we moved to Richmond 3 years ago, we looked at many different options - both public and private - and we're thrilled with our choice. Our friends with older daughters at St. Catherine's say great things about the Middle and Upper School experiences as well, so we look forward to many more years at the school.

Posted October 15, 2014
This is without a question the best investment we have made in our daughters' future. They love learning and each year seem to be more engrossed and interested in their studies. Their exposure to music, art, athletics and community service gives them the advantage of discovering new things about themselves and becoming confident, well-rounded citizens.

Posted October 15, 2014
My daughter started at St. Catherines with Junior Kindergarten and is now in First Grade. My husband and I have been nothing less then thrilled with her development and progress. The teachers have all taken the time to learn the specific interests of their students and incorporated the specific interests within the lesson plans. I'll admit I was doubting the ability of learning two foreign languages starting in Kindergarten but my daughter is so motivated and interested. She comes home and teaches us! Having a son, I can see first hand how boys and girls learn differently. St. Catherines puts so much thought and research into creating an environment for girls to be their individual best. Currently my daughter is very interested in math and science so the rapidly expanding STEAM initiative and new Science Building is particularly exciting.

Posted October 02, 2014
My kids have attended public and private in Richmond. At a celebrated public elementary, I found crowded classrooms, behavior issues, and teachers who were forced to 'teach to the test.' Too many students, state requirements, SOLs, etc. left little time for teachers to really know our kids. After 1 year, we made some really tough choices and dramatic lifestyle changes in order to enroll our kids at St. Catherine's & St. Christopher's. I can't begin to describe how happy it has made us. Each child is known and - at the first parent/teacher conference in the Fall, my daughter's teacher talked about my daughter as if she had known her for years, unlike the perfunctory conference at her other school. Kids are exposed to experiences and offerings that aren't possible in public school, including a wide variety of speakers, workshops, field trips, multiple foreign languages, and interactions with students from all divisions. STC gives the time and flexibility for these teachers to know my kids and tailor their teaching to the kids, and drive the learning from what excited the kids - not what the legislators say must be taught. I am incredibly grateful that my daughter is there.

Posted November 02, 2013
My daughter is in her second year at St. Catherines and is flourishing. We looked at the 3 private schools and we are so glad we selected St. Catherines. We were and still are very impressed with the administration and how present themselves on a daily basis. Our daughter has made many friends and so have my husband and I. I continued to be impressed with the diversity of the students and staff. My second child will be attending next year and we can't wait to watch her grow into a well rounded, self confident member of society.

St. Catherine's School 1

Posted October 18, 2013
I am sorry but St. Catherines was not for me. The girls there were disrespectful and completely mean. I of course was not the perfect blonde with a family that made over 1 million dollars a year, so I was not that popular. The teachers were even crazy and quite insane. My sister even had an incident where her friend got pushed into a locker by some of the popular girls, and she was the one that got in trouble, not the popular girls because their parents had payed enough money for her to get ahead in life and not get in trouble. I am sorry but this is true, St. Catherines is a school for girls that just lets girls get ahead in life with money and popularity rather than actually intelligence.

Posted August 13, 2013
St. Catherine's was the best decision my parents ever made for me. After being on the waiting list for six years, I was extremely resistant to the idea of leaving public school, so they told me if I didn't like it after a year I could leave. After one day at STC there was no turning back! I loved every moment of my four years there and wish I had been able to attend for 13 years. My writing abilities were praised, my math abilities were helped, and my biology teacher made up a song to teach us the human body. I received an invaluable education, had access to passionate teachers and college counselors, played new sports, pursued my love of dance, and made some of the best friends I could ever ask for. STC staff told my class we had the biggest 5-year reunion in over 10 years. St. Catherine's and its traditions will always have a special place in my heart.

Posted March 31, 2013
We chose St. Catherine's for our daughter after concern over the large class sizes in the Chesterfield Cty. school she attended. It was absolutely the right decision for our daughter and the school is everything we hoped it would be. They are equally focused on a building important academic foundations in math, reading and writing - with appropriate individualized attention - as well on layering on enrichment activities to keep the girls engaged on every level. Great community and great experience!

Posted January 24, 2011
Love the philosphy of St. Catherine's. Extremely nurturing environment focussed on academic excellence. Wonderful school community. Great opportnutiy for girls of any ethnicity and religion. Impressive technology and well rounded curriculum.

Posted September 27, 2010
We had been considering St. Catherines for my daughter for a few years, but the lack of diversity was making us a bit hesitant. I'm so glad we decided to give it a shot. We are of middle eastern descent, and have been amazed at how well she has fit in. She has been welcomed with open arms. The academics are outstanding, the teachers are nurturing and attentive. Cutting edge technology available to parents and students. She has made more friends than we can keep track of. We pick up a thoroughly happy child from school every day and we couldnt be happier. We made a great choice and would advise prospective parents not to let the lack of diversity hold them back.

St. Catherine's School
6001 Grove Ave, Richmond, VA  23226
Last modified St. Catherine's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
St. Catherine's School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top