PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We have had a very positive experience with the Richmond Waldorf School, both at the school, and as a result of having been a student there later down the road. Our oldest daughter started in the PreK program, 13 years ago, and was able to attend through the 6th grade. Not only did we find it warm and welcoming during her years there, but also the Waldorf curriculum instilled in her a patient determination, along with a genuine love of learning, that has also served her amazingly well since. Her passion for reading and literature was born there. This school also taught her the value of working at a task until it is mastered, giving her confidence that she can chip away at and eventually overcome the most difficult challenges even when it looks bleak from the outset. Due to this confidence, she has since taught herself to play the guitar, has become fluent in German, and is currently a senior, and thriving in Public High School… planning to take 4 AP exams this spring alone. Our middle child had a similar experience, leaving RWS, not only academically prepared, but also having found his time there full of support and comradery. The friendships he made at Richmond Waldorf School are incredibly strong, and his entire class remains very close. And as a final example of our satisfaction with the school, our youngest daughter is currently in attendance there– happy to be learning violin, Russian, Spanish, botany, geography, spelling, drawing skills, and on and on. She loves to go to school, insisting that we get there as early as possible in order not to miss a minute. Her favorite classes at the moment are wood working and PE (where they have been known to take spontaneous outings, such as walks down to the river to clean up trash). And we are fully confident as her parents, that even though she loves school and doesn’t have loads of homework or stress that her peers in other schools seem to, that these strong roots that she is now growing will enable her to do anything she puts her mind to in the future.

After enduring 6 long grueling years in the NY State, Common Core obsessed, Public School system we decided to make a change. That change was a new state and new pedagogical approach to teaching, namely the Richmond Waldorf School. It is our opinion that this teaching method embodied at RWS is superior to anything being offered today. The staff at RWS truly believe in the method, and bring to the table a passion, ingenuity, enthusiasm and true understanding of childhood development long gone from the public schools my child has attended, or I have investigated. My son has never been happier attending school, and at the end of the day isn't that what all parents want, the ability to give their child the best education possible? Well at RWS, unequivocally, we have found it!

I am thankful every single day that my kids have an opportunity to go to RWS. I have two very different boys and the curriculum suits them both. I visited almost every private school in Richmond and knew I wanted my children to attend RWS. It is truly a blessing. My boys are taught respect and the joys of hard work. Besides main lesson the children have strings, music, art, languages, cooking, biking and much more. We have seen the benefits of a Waldorf education and can't wait to see how our children develop through this special school.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

no bullying tolerated; children who are aggressive have been asked to leave the school

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

best part of my son's education has been having children with different learning styles in the classroom

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

unique leadership structure--all teachers involved in leadership decisions

Develops character: Strongly disagree

absolutely....make sure you go to the Friday gathering. Each week the classes perform either poems, songs or plays. All the students know each other and there is wonderful camaraderie

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

all teachers at the school know my son and have been part of his education

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

homework increases steadily in the middle school years.

what I love about a Waldorf Education: yesterday my mom and I were heading out to a community art studio to make protest wear for the Women's March on Washington. Grandma says, "I want to have a dove on my hat, Calder draw me a dove." Without batting an eye, my 14 year old grabs a pen and dashes off a beautiful dove with an olive branch. This is a boy boy whose main passion is soccer and basketball.

Last modified Richmond Waldorf School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8