Posted November 02, 2014
My two children have spent a combined twelve years at Holton. We've found it to be an ideal environment for them, offering a nurturing social setting, academic rigor, and worthwhile electives through the music and after-school programming. The teachers are generally experienced and on top of their game, following the skilled leadership of their principal, David Hudson. I wish this place went through middle and high school too; we'd never leave!

Linwood Holton Elementary School 1

Posted September 26, 2014
My granddaughter went here for kindergarten and first grade. At end of first grade, she had all A's. When she moved to FL for second grade, she was tested and told that she is reading at a level expected of students going into first grade...a whole grade level behind. How is that possible? Cause the school lowers standards. Great principal who believes in self respect and discipline, and teachers, but kids won't learn much.

Posted March 02, 2014
Excellent school. Teachers are fair to students and they have an excellent relationship with each other. I have been impressed with how school is functioning. I ma an educator and can not think of a place where my child is safe and loved.

Posted August 22, 2013
I love Holton! My son started attending Holton as a VPI student and I have continued to be impressed as a parent ever since. The leadership is outstanding...Mr. Hudson cares about the kids, the parents, his staff and ensures our Lions receive the BEST everyday. The PTA and our parent volunteer network is simply amazing..from gardening to classroom help, it shows the parent commitment to make our school community a great one. I am looking forward to a great 4th grade year and am excited to see what's next on Holton's horizon!

Posted October 29, 2012
The diversity of this school and the leadership is like no other. The teachers come from all walks of life and the discipline that is illustrated within the school is riveting.

Posted August 12, 2012
This is indeed a great school. I am happy that my child will be starting school in a few more weeks. I am looking forward for enrichment.programs Holton has to offer.

Posted July 15, 2012
My child had a successful school year at Holton. My child is allowed to have a school day with learning and structure and extended day filled with enrichment activities. This school is a hidden secret.

Linwood Holton Elementary School 3

Posted June 09, 2012
Personally, I think the five-star community rating is a bit over the top. After three years and two children at LHES, I am increasingly frustrated and disappointed in the school. I am often uncomfortable with how frustrated or irritable the teachers are. There is far too much yelling or arbitrary discipline. I am shocked on a daily basis and how rude the grown ups are to the children. Many of the teachers seem to feel powerless and therefore seem limited in what they are willing to do. I am sure that the teachers are more talented than they are allowed to be. School has sucked the life put of learning for my intelligent, Sensitive, interested children. They both hate going to school and complain that there is so much yelling or mean tones coming from the staff and teachers. Of course, there are exceptions. Holton is a city school with city problems. Diversity is excellent. A few teachers are superior. Parent involvement is excellent. Academics are fair. Field trips are good. Art is good, but only once a week. Homework is terrible and unnecessary. All mindless worksheets anne no substance.

Posted October 23, 2010
It's like one big family. I love it there.

Posted October 19, 2010
One of the best school in the city of Richmond, everyone from the Principal - Mr Hudson down to the janitorial staff is amazing. The PTA rocks and parental involvement is nothing short of outstanding

Linwood Holton Elementary School
1600 W. Laburnum Ave, Richmond, VA  23227
Last modified Linwood Holton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Linwood Holton Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top