PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted April 19, 2016
Ten years ago this year, I methodically searched for my 3-year old child's first school experience. After a lot of visits, talking to other parents and of course, a spreadsheet, both the data and my gut feeling pointed to WEMS. Fast forward a decade, two children and 6 years as a WEMS family (we hadn't planned on a few elementary years as our public schools are excellent, but I haven't regretted the decision to keep my children at WEMS through those first fragile years of elementary), I find myself with a pair of children who are curious, love learning, thinker critically, are aware of the world and resilient. Yes, there are plenty of tween/teen moments in our hours, but the nurturing environment created by Janet and her excellent staff have been crucial in their development.

West End Montessori School
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 11, 2016
They are devoted to the students and genuinely want to see them succeed on their own. They even attend student events not related to school activities.

Posted April 11, 2016
My children went to WEMS toddler through elementary and are straight-A students at their new schools. More important than the As is that the teachers at WEMS provided opportunities for them to develop their own internal motivation to do their work and to give it their best effort. Those opportunities are irreplaceable. I admire the congeniality and professionalism of the teachers and staff through the years as well. I will always be grateful for our experience at WEMS.

Posted August 13, 2015
WEMS offers children a safe, hands on environment within which to grow both socially and academically. The director, teachers, and staff foster a culture of community encouraging open communication between children, parents, and staff. WEMS supports individual student development via a customized curriculum tailored to the individual's abilities as opposed to more traditional teaching methods. It is truly amazing to watch my children flourish in the atmosphere created by the teachers and staff of WEMS.

West End Montessori School 3

Posted June 02, 2015
I have been a parent at WEMS for two years. The teachers at this school are absolutely amazing and I would give them more than 5 stars if I could. Unfortunately, the director of the school is not. She is very disorganized and completely uncaring of how this affects the parents and families. This leads to chaos and confusion for situations such as snow days, field trips, and even special ceremonies. I have talked to many parents that agree she is difficult to deal with. Even the newsletter is irregular and often confusing. My kids were very happy in their classrooms, so we stayed there, but now I am very happy to be leaving. I never for a second considered staying for the Elementary years.

Posted February 11, 2013
I started my son a week back and he is going to turn three in a couple of months. This was his first experience away from home. His teachers are really awesome and they provided him such a warm welcome and made him feel very safe and securred. On the first day, when he felt the separation anxiety and cried, his teacher lifted him up and hugged him tight. He had felt so welcomeed that he never cried for his second day to school.This school is so awesome in their montessori mission of teaching and the teachers are really wonderful !!!!!!! I am so so glad i made the right choice.

Posted February 22, 2008
West End Montessori School has established a beautiful sense of community. This Montessori school sticks to its mission. The administration and teachers are wonderful. They are doing a remarkable job guiding our child along this amazing journey of childhood. He is an upper elementary student who loves going to school!

Posted October 05, 2007
Great school, love the teachers! It is my daughter's 4th year at the school ( she is in first grade) and she loves it.

West End Montessori School
9307 Quioccasin Road, Richmond, VA  23229
Last modified West End Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5