No rating

Seven Hills Middle School for Boys

Private | 5-8 | 100 students

Student diversity

Living in Richmond

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $212,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted Wednesday, July 23, 2014

We just completed our first year at 7 Hills and could not be happier. There were some initial bumps, which is to be expected when you make any big change like moving schools. We have settled in and have been very happy. Faculty and Staff have been great to deal with, and having been at other private schools I understand that every school has it's own administrative eccentricities and communication style. We have found 7 Hills to be great at inspiring our boys in the class room and the administration has been responsive and supportive. We are looking forward to what the coming years will bring!

Posted July 9, 2014

I am just looking into my options. AlbertHill Jr high is our home...but I'm researching options.

Posted June 6, 2014

Out of respect for prospective parents reading these posts, if a parent or a boy writes a post - and a member of their family is a Board member - they should clearly identify themselves as such. A large group of parents asked the Board and Head of School to address specific, documented concerns, and the Board and HOS declined to address their concerns. While my son loves the school, we question the quality of education he is receiving and do not think the Board or the HOS is effective. True parental concerns appear to be swept under the carpet. Our son will return to Seven Hills only because the contract is iron clad, but he will not be returning the following year.

Posted June 6, 2014

I'm a freshman in high school now. I went to 7 Hills for three years. I loved going to school every day. The teachers were really good and always helped me. Now I go to the governor's school (ranked 13th in the country!!) and I haven't had any trouble doing the work. I wish 7 Hills had a high school because I would go there.

Posted June 5, 2014

7HS is awesome! My son is a graduate and is currently in one of the top private high schools in Richmond. 7HS prepared him well for high school ... both academically and socially. He is on the honor roll and thriving. I would recommend 7HS to any parent who is looking for a school that educates the whole boy.

Posted June 5, 2014

My son went to this school for three years and we all loved it. This is a school that really "gets" boys. The teachers are wonderful, and (despite what some other commenters say) the leadership has a great strategic vision. Our boy was well prepared for HS, not just academically but also socially and in self-confidence. Do yourself a favor: spend the time to visit the school and decide for yourself.

Posted May 31, 2014

Before you sign a contract with any school, ask for the following information in writing: 1. Student Retention- How many students have left the school after only a year or two? Find out why people have left. 2. Teacher Retention- How long have teachers/staff been at the school. Find out how many have left over the past 3 years. Investigate why they have left. 3. Teacher Bios- Ask for comprehensive teacher bios. Find out what teaching experience they have, whether they are licensed, and what their credentials are. Then you can compare the teacher bios to those of other nearby private schools. 4. Administration Bios Be sure to ask for detailed information about the administration running the school. Do they have administration experience? If yes, how many years? What type of degree do they have? Compare the administration bios to those of other nearby schools. 5. Student Placement - Find out what high school programs students are accepted into after graduation. Compare current acceptance rates to those of students 4 years ago. 6. References - Be sure to ask around to find out what people think of the school. Remember, in a small community, reputation is everything!!!

Posted May 28, 2014

There is so much potential at this school. Unfortunately the leadership of this school is ill equipped to handle the position. The head of school has poor communication skills, fails to return phone calls and emails and the sales pitch doesn't meet up with what they claim to provide. They take your money and run. Out of 19 boys who started in this school in 5th grade, only 8 stayed to complete the program until 8th in 2014. Pitiful retention and no wonder why. While the boys seem happy, the parents are upset and concerned that the academics are not rigorous, there is no testing. Parents express their concerns to deaf ears. The board is ineffective. What a waste of $15k. Some of the teachers are truly special and fantastic, some are unable to control their classrooms and lack any formal educational background, which results in less than effective teaching techniques. Many of the parents have gone up the flag pole and gotten no where....and thus have left, some at the cost of a paying tuition for a school that they will not allow their child to attend. Buyer beware!

Posted March 16, 2011

7 Hills has been a godsend for my two boys. One has tested "gifted" and describes 7 Hills as "the school he's been looking for his whole life." My 2nd son needs physical space in the classroom in order to feel comfortablel; he's thriving here. It's a true boys school where they're outside every 90 minutes to let off some steam. The teachers want the boys to succeed. The head of school inspires the boys. We love it. I think if you, as a parent, require a traditional setting where the boys dress well every day, you won't be comfortable at 7 Hills at first.

1311 Overbrook Rd.