5-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted November 23, 2015
Exceeds all of our expectations. It feels like a small liberal arts college where the boys are encouraged and supported to develop and practice critical thinking skills, not just memorize facts and perform well on a test. The faculty are excellent, the teaching methods are engaging and effective, parent communication/involvement is high, and the boys LOVE to go to school. One of the most striking aspects of the culture is that the boys are very kind to one another and respectful/supportive of one another's differences - something I certainly didn't expect to find in middle school where most kids of this age would do almost anything to blend in with the crowd.

Seven Hills Middle School for Boys 4

Posted April 01, 2015
A great school for those difficult middle years that many boys will encounter. There are too many great stories to tell - I did not know my son is a superb poet, a wonderful writer of fictions, a math wiz, and a history buff, I didn't know that he also enjoys biology and is never tired of debates about politics and religions; I know he hates arts but didn't know that the wonderful Mr. O'Keefe has been encouraging his finding his artistic abilities non-stop. Where can you find a school that the student himself leads the "parent-teacher conference" and he tells the teachers and the parents the things that they did right and the ones not so much? It is not a perfect school (thus four stars), being a relatively new school with tight budget could be one of the many excuses, but it is a great school if you want your boy to grow into a mature young man ready to face high school, beyond what he learns acadically, he learns a lot about himself and the way to look at the world and the others, and I think that is the greatest gift 7HS gives us.

Seven Hills Middle School for Boys 4

Posted March 23, 2015
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Posted November 04, 2014
Our son is very happy at Seven Hills. The school really understands boys, and has created an atmosphere where boys absolutely thrive. My son is actively engaged in his classes and has developed wonderful relationships with the teachers and staff. There are many wonderful male role models for the students Seven Hills (unlike at most schools, where there are far fewer young, male teachers). This is especially true of the headmaster - Dagan Rowe. My son is always surprising us with comments and thoughts on all sorts of matters - from current events to ancient history. Most importantly, my son has learned to appreciate and respect all of his fellow students, regardless of their differences. It's a wonderful community, and we are very fortunate to have such a unique middle school option here in Richmond. We are just beginning to think about high schools, and I know our son is going to be well prepared and confident, regardless of which high school he will eventually attend. Seven Hills has taught our son to be an engaged scholar, but more importantly, it has helped him develop into an empathetic young man that cares about how his community and who is mindful of his role within it.

Seven Hills Middle School for Boys 2

Posted September 08, 2014
My son has been very happy at Seven Hills. However, the board and Head of School do not address parental concerns as they should. The school has lost 3 administrators in 6 months and the turnover rate for students is extremely high. Regarding the student who posted on this site that he was able to do the work at the Governor's school, he probably will. However, his post was dated just after he completed 8th grade and he had not yet started school. His mother is also a board member. Board members and their families should not post on here unless they identify themselves. Again, the school is a good one, but it has a long way to go in regaining the confidence from parents who had boys in there last year. Hopefully, this will happen.

Posted July 23, 2014
We just completed our first year at 7 Hills and could not be happier. There were some initial bumps, which is to be expected when you make any big change like moving schools. We have settled in and have been very happy. Faculty and Staff have been great to deal with, and having been at other private schools I understand that every school has it's own administrative eccentricities and communication style. We have found 7 Hills to be great at inspiring our boys in the class room and the administration has been responsive and supportive. We are looking forward to what the coming years will bring!

Posted July 09, 2014
I am just looking into my options. AlbertHill Jr high is our home...but I'm researching options.

Posted June 06, 2014
I'm a freshman in high school now. I went to 7 Hills for three years. I loved going to school every day. The teachers were really good and always helped me. Now I go to the governor's school (ranked 13th in the country!!) and I haven't had any trouble doing the work. I wish 7 Hills had a high school because I would go there.

Posted June 05, 2014
7HS is awesome! My son is a graduate and is currently in one of the top private high schools in Richmond. 7HS prepared him well for high school ... both academically and socially. He is on the honor roll and thriving. I would recommend 7HS to any parent who is looking for a school that educates the whole boy.

Posted June 05, 2014
My son went to this school for three years and we all loved it. This is a school that really "gets" boys. The teachers are wonderful, and (despite what some other commenters say) the leadership has a great strategic vision. Our boy was well prepared for HS, not just academically but also socially and in self-confidence. Do yourself a favor: spend the time to visit the school and decide for yourself.

Seven Hills Middle School for Boys
1311 Overbrook Rd., Richmond, VA  23220
Last modified Seven Hills Middle School for Boys is a Private school that serves grades 5-8
Seven Hills Middle School for Boys Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top