Richmond, VA
Students enrolled: 1,444

Posted February 25, 2015
I am a 8th grade student at Manchester Middle and I think that this school is not too bad. When I first started out all I saw was the dirty, old exterior that was over crowded, but as I started going there 5 days a week I realized that this really is a good school. Since I am in CBG there are some conflicts with the comprehensive kids because they assume that all of us are snobby kids who think that we're better than them, and some of the CBG kids think that the comprehensive kids are stupid people. But in reality we are both just kids going to school to get an education. My teachers for the past 3 years have been fantastic and have tried to help in anyway that they can! The staff are really great too. But a downside is that the school is really dirty and some kids get favored by the staff more than others. The sports teams aren't bad either, but they aren't the best. Overall I think this is a school your child would benefit from going to!

Manchester Middle School 5

Posted February 19, 2015
Our 5 children attended Manchester and each of them were well prepared for high school.

Posted August 27, 2014
This school is absolutely unbearable. If you're not in the gifted program you don't get any advantages. Also many staff members are plain RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL. They speak to students as if they are nothing and get away with it because they are "adults". Adults should know better than to speak to defenseless students this way. How can a school stress anti-bullying, yet have a staff full of bullies. After sending my two daughters here, I may have to find a different middle school for my youngest.

Manchester Middle School 2

Posted March 09, 2014
My 6th Grader (Honors) is attending MMS. I had 3 sons that attended years ago; it was a good school then. Admitting it has significantly declined. My child does HW and we check it together nightly; has always been a go-getter about schoolwork. Returned papers reflect A/Bs, but Edline reflect F's for same work. When my child asks teacher about it, told to "Sit down" or "We'll talk about it later." There is teacher retaliation against student, if parent notices a problem and goes to teachers/admin. Teachers spend more time doing other tasks than teaching. Students are often given work with no modeling or no/little explanation. Students are given fill-in-the-blank WS's, which are "notes" to study for exams. But answers aren't discussed/checked. Students don't know if their answers are right/wrong to study. If my child is absent (excused) and asks about missed work, it is put off or not given, and may later reflect as an F on edline. I understand teachers are in teams. Heard the other 6th Gr team is really good. But this 6th grade academic team isn't doing right by our children. Something needs to be done! If your child is in CBG though, you got it made; those teachers are great!

Posted December 16, 2013
My daughter is in the CBG program. This is her second year and she loves it . The teacher's really challenge her and my daughter thrives on that, The teachers are pretty good about updating edline. She has been able to take French,Latin and Alg 1, which will make her competitive for the governor's school. She also enjoys participating in school clubs. I haven't interacted with the principal but do appreciate her weekly emails to the parents letting us know what's going on at school. I like the diverse population although CBG in general is not as diverse as it could be. My daughter does complain this year about the comprehensive students she encounters in her PE /health class, she says they tend to be more disruputive than she is used to, but that is not a huge concern. I am very happy with Manchester's CBG.

Posted December 10, 2013
Don't send your child to this school if they are not a CBG (center based gifted) the administration has a zero tolerance principle for mis conduct that is unreal. And the problem is they do not care and they have rules that will allow them to suspend kids unnecessarily. They get an "F". Worst school ever.

Posted March 18, 2013
I loved this school in sixth grade, but it quickly declined, and becam horrible. They do hardly anything about bullying problems, and most of my teachers do not help me. If you are not in the CBG program, you are over-looked and thrown to the curb. All the staff thinks about is the CBG kids. According to them, all other students are stupid, and will never become anything, even if you are in Honors. Although, most of us Honors kids could be in the CBG program, we choose not to because the most CBG kids are snobs. I would not recommend this school AT ALL.

Manchester Middle School 3

Posted February 22, 2013
I've been to this school for 2 years this is my last year and take it from me, it's an okay school some kids push in the hallway and I push them pack but they don't seem to get it, in my opinion this school is okay in comprehensive but really good in CBG honesty i can stay here at my computer and complain because there is. A LOT of things I don't like about the school but it concerns more to the kids, thier not mature and some kids do talk back to teachers and get sent out of the classroom and wonder why? Which I believe ischemic not being mature, some kids and mostly guys will make fun of the kids of the way they dress which Is dumb but if u stand your ground at this school it won't be bad I promise. If a kid makes fun of you or parents if a kid makes fun of ur child don't worry, teach ur kids to stand up to those kids because they will earn respect I'm talking to much my point being 1. Kids are not as good as u hope they'd be mostly comprehensive 2. It really is fun there like today the 8th grade got to do do the Harlem shake in the cafeteria 3. Stand up for yourself 4. Teachers do care they really do 5. Have fun :3

Manchester Middle School 3

Posted January 23, 2013
I'm a student at Manchester in the 8th and I personally LOVE but sometimes disagree with the school

Posted September 14, 2012
I am a parent of two children in MMS. This is our second year. I have one in seventh and one in eighth grade. They are both in Honors not CBG but have several classes with the CBG students. I loved our teachers last year because they all participated in Edline which assists me in knowing what goes on daily. Will have to wait to see what happens this year. My boys tell me that the CBG students are treated more favorably than the other students and I have heard this is the same for more schools than this one. I rarely hear about fighting or bullying and my kids participate in sports. I am a member of the PTA and do participate in meetings. I believe the school is definitely progressing to become a great school.

Manchester Middle School
7401 Hull Street Rd., Richmond, VA  23235
Last modified Manchester Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Manchester Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top