Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I wish there was a neutral response because I feel some teachers are good while others are lacking in professionalism.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think just enough homework is given. Pop quizzes are given often so it really forces my child to study.

Develops character: Neutral

I have not witnessed or seen anything come home with my child that would indicate any development focused in this area.

Positives: I have enjoyed with interaction with other CBG parents. The children get to go on many field trips and my son is challenged in his classes. Negatives: I think my son would have a better learning experience in our zoned school. I really do not care many for many of the staff members I have interacted with or observed including the principal at this school. My son attends the CBG program and I have witnessed first hand the rude and disrespectful way some of the staff ignore students and parents. My son is very friendly and respectful and goes out of the way to be helpful and say good morning. Staff at the car drop off do not even welcome the children in the morning. My son says good morning and he gets a nasty smirk. Disgusting behavior for educators and it is totally unacceptable. What kind of message does that send to the students? I would not feel motivated. I will not even go into detail about the dark and dreary condition of this school. I have pretty much begged my son to attend his zoned school but he likes the diversity at this school. He also values being around other smart children although he complains about the elitism among some of his peers in CBG. Well I guess it is preparing him for the world he will face. I totally understand why parents of gifted children in my neighborhood would rather not send their kids to this school. We will make the most of it while we are there but so far my experience has been for the most part unpleasant. Thankfully my child is resilient and he will be out of there soon.

I am a 8th grade student at Manchester Middle and I think that this school is not too bad. When I first started out all I saw was the dirty, old exterior that was over crowded, but as I started going there 5 days a week I realized that this really is a good school. Since I am in CBG there are some conflicts with the comprehensive kids because they assume that all of us are snobby kids who think that we're better than them, and some of the CBG kids think that the comprehensive kids are stupid people. But in reality we are both just kids going to school to get an education. My teachers for the past 3 years have been fantastic and have tried to help in anyway that they can! The staff are really great too. But a downside is that the school is really dirty and some kids get favored by the staff more than others. The sports teams aren't bad either, but they aren't the best. Overall I think this is a school your child would benefit from going to!

Our 5 children attended Manchester and each of them were well prepared for high school.

This school is absolutely unbearable. If you're not in the gifted program you don't get any advantages. Also many staff members are plain RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL. They speak to students as if they are nothing and get away with it because they are "adults". Adults should know better than to speak to defenseless students this way. How can a school stress anti-bullying, yet have a staff full of bullies. After sending my two daughters here, I may have to find a different middle school for my youngest.

My 6th Grader (Honors) is attending MMS. I had 3 sons that attended years ago; it was a good school then. Admitting it has significantly declined. My child does HW and we check it together nightly; has always been a go-getter about schoolwork. Returned papers reflect A/Bs, but Edline reflect F's for same work. When my child asks teacher about it, told to "Sit down" or "We'll talk about it later." There is teacher retaliation against student, if parent notices a problem and goes to teachers/admin. Teachers spend more time doing other tasks than teaching. Students are often given work with no modeling or no/little explanation. Students are given fill-in-the-blank WS's, which are "notes" to study for exams. But answers aren't discussed/checked. Students don't know if their answers are right/wrong to study. If my child is absent (excused) and asks about missed work, it is put off or not given, and may later reflect as an F on edline. I understand teachers are in teams. Heard the other 6th Gr team is really good. But this 6th grade academic team isn't doing right by our children. Something needs to be done! If your child is in CBG though, you got it made; those teachers are great!

My daughter is in the CBG program. This is her second year and she loves it . The teacher's really challenge her and my daughter thrives on that, The teachers are pretty good about updating edline. She has been able to take French,Latin and Alg 1, which will make her competitive for the governor's school. She also enjoys participating in school clubs. I haven't interacted with the principal but do appreciate her weekly emails to the parents letting us know what's going on at school. I like the diverse population although CBG in general is not as diverse as it could be. My daughter does complain this year about the comprehensive students she encounters in her PE /health class, she says they tend to be more disruputive than she is used to, but that is not a huge concern. I am very happy with Manchester's CBG.

Don't send your child to this school if they are not a CBG (center based gifted) the administration has a zero tolerance principle for mis conduct that is unreal. And the problem is they do not care and they have rules that will allow them to suspend kids unnecessarily. They get an "F". Worst school ever.

Last modified Manchester Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.