Monacan High School

Public | 9-12 | 1400 students

Student diversity

Posted September 4, 2013

I am a Monacan grad and now have a Jr at Monacan. When I was a student Monacan was fairly new and one of the top schools in the county. Chesterfield over all has declined since I was a student but I have little to complain about from Monacan. The specialty centers has really hurt the athletic programs here - after all how many bookworms do you know play football? And student particpation at events is lacking. Hopefully the new specialty ctr will turn some of that around. Like all schools there are great teachers and bad ones. Great kids and bad ones. We have seen our share of both here. I heard some bad rumors about how far downhill Monacan had gone and give the administration big kudos on turning things around. And as with everything it seems the same parents are the ones volunteering to do everything. . . sad to know so many parents want to complain but yet sit on the side lines and watch. . .

Posted August 19, 2013

My school is not a school you would want to attend. The math department is a wreck. My Freshman year teacher's curriculum consisted of us watching TV shows that were "math-related" the entire year. Needless to say, almost the entire class failed their SOLs. My math teacher Sophomore year lost a number of my papers, later found them, and refused to grade them appropriately. Many teachers request students to be removed from their class. I have had a teacher refuse to give me after school help. The dress code is out of control. I sewed patches into my jeans (where the holes were) to cover up skin in order to avoid having to buy new clothing, I was sent to the office for "inappropriate attire." Even if rips are below the knees, they are not allowed. If you wear yoga pants to school (covering the entire leg/waist area) you will be sent to the office and told to change. Non-revealing tank-tops are not allowed. Shoulders must be completely covered. Even if your back and cleavage are thoroughly covered, shoulders must not be exposed. My school could improve by revoking the tenure some teachers have, hiring new ones, and altering a few of the ridiculous dress code rules for a start.

Posted September 11, 2012

I love Monacan with all my heart. I have made lifelong friendships with teachers that have been incorporated into outside of school activities. Most of the faculty is warm right from the beginning but as with many people, some take awhile to warm up. Mr. Broyles is a man who I will constantly be in touch with, he has made more of an impact on my life than I can even put into words. He goes far and beyond of his expectations and has opened the door to many opportunities for me. I do agree with many that the Humanities students are favored by much of the faculty, but they do deserve it for the extra work they do. I would recommend this school to anyone, it is always changing, evolving, and improving.

Posted August 6, 2012

My daughter graduated from this school and got accepted to the Fashion Institute of Technology in NY! This school has great diversity which prepares them for the real world. The school is safe and the faculty is great.

Posted April 4, 2012

Monacan is a very good school. My oldest daughter has graduated and excel here while attending. I currently have a son attending and the teachers are very involved and will call or email if they have any concerns. The staff is nice, cooperative and pleasant to get along with too.

Posted July 6, 2011

Monacan is 1 of the most diverse schools in Chesterfield, but to say they treat everyone equally would be a lie. The kids in the Humanities program are good students, but for all the privileges they get from staff they get to slack off a bit much. The math dept. isn't very good but other academics are okay. Most teachers do care, although they get frustrated teaching only what's on SOLs. Mr.Broyles is also an involved, caring principal. The fine arts are great, and so are most sports(not so much football). There was a good amount of fighting this year, but overall it's a decent school to go to.

Posted June 19, 2011

2011 was a great year for Monacan. We have a wonderful administration, strong PTSA, supportive boosters organizations, and a "real world" atmosphere in our culturally diverse school. I am proud that my kids attend Monacan where they are constantly challenged and well prepared for college. Mr Broyles cares greatly for his students and teachers and shows that on a daily basis.

Posted February 9, 2011

Great School! Mr. Broyles continues to lead the Monacan Community in so many wonderful ways. Parental involvement is welcomed and encouraged. Love the Humanities program.

Posted May 20, 2010

My oldest child is a student at Monacan. I was nervous about them in high school not knowing what to expect. But I have been so pleasantly surprised. It has been a good experience and as a parent I am very thankful for that.

Posted May 11, 2010

Monacan High School has strong leadership from their administration. Each year the school gets stronger and stronger with fewer issues and more students receiving a solid education. The faculty like any other school has great to marginal teachers. Overall Monacan is a great school for students to learn.

Posted May 11, 2010

Thanks to the Monacan administration, staff, coaches, & everyone else who contributes to making this school a safe, nurturing, & postive environment for my Freshman child this year. We're new to this area and bought a house specifically so that our kids would attend Monacan. I have another child starting in the fall and am thrilled. Thank you teachers for responding to my questions and/or concerns via a phone call or email. Thanks to the office/clinic staff for showing me 'the ropes' on how to check my child out of school and always greeting me with a smile and helping me figure out the general process. I am a board member of the PTSA & Booster Rep. Both of my kids went to Providence MS. There's plenty of avenues to get involved. Keep trying to find that right group that suits

Posted May 7, 2010

Monacan HS is the most culturally diverse school in Chesterfield. The '09-'10 PTSA President has been working diligently to improve diversity amongst all school organizations. I'm a minority parent that has Presided over Hospitality (2yrs) and Post Prom '09-'10. I do understand the frustration minority parents experience with trying to breakdown barriers. Under the new '09- 10 PTSA regime all parents of any ethnicity is welcomed. Your ideas, suggestions and comments are welcomed. The Post Prom Committee was a testament of the diversity of parents at Monacan. Principal Broyles needs to be commended for excellence. The school and school spirit has improved tremendously. Let's keep growing!

Posted May 6, 2010

I am a parent of soon to be 2 graduates of Monacan High School. My first graduated in 2002 which I wasn't too thrilled about but having only lived in the area for a short amount of time I felt I couldn't be too critical. With my second graduating, I feel that the school has come a long way especially when Mr. Sovine arrived a few years back. When he and his staff arrived, they came in with bright new ideas to help move the school forward and they were very successful. Mr. Broyles arriving this year has also changed the format of the school. He is very focused on what is going on with the students. Without the schools involvement in the young people's concerns, Monacan would not be the school that it is today. Monacan is Number 1 in my book. Keep up the great work!!!!

Posted May 6, 2010

My child is a Junior at Monacan and I have two other children who will be coming through the school in the coming years. We have been very pleased with the education our child has received at Monacan. He is extremely happy being a student here and I wouldn't even consider sending my children to another high school in the area.

Posted May 6, 2010

My son is a senior this year and I must say that I love the way they organize events. Each year at prom, my son really enjoys the after prom parties that the school organizes so that our kids are safe and having fun!

Posted October 10, 2009

Our family experience at Monacan has been outstanding. The administration and teachers have been extremely concerned with helping freshmen acclimate into high school. I was impressed that 8th graders were invited to an extracurricular activity fair / ice cream social and a freshman orientation before ever walking into school as a new student. The teaching staff and administration work together to come up with innovative programs such as 'Monacan Mornings' where the first 30 minutes of each day is a time that can be used for remediation, enrichment, or working on group projects. Students that maintain a 'B' average do not have to arrive at school until after 'MM' if they are caught up on their work. This program is now spreading to other local schools. All in all...we are very satisfied with the direction the school is headed in!

Posted September 16, 2009

Humanities center is abosultely second to none!!! Go Monacan!

Posted July 15, 2009

This school ranked in the top 10% in the nation academically. Reports show less discipline problems than most area schools. I am thrilled to have my daughter there.

Posted December 11, 2008

I am a student at Monacan High School. I am not stisfied with this school, and i have been there for 2 years now. This school does not show a sturdy curriculum at all. When i first came to Monacan they falsely said that they had a variety of extra curricular activity...Little did i know that they didnt. Teachers at Monacan can be a handfull at times they think that they control everything and that they can do anything and gat away with anything. Mr. Sovine has done a very good job turning the school around but Monacan has a long way to go...Chesterfield also needs to provide monacan with a new facility because this school is really becoming over crouded....

Posted November 13, 2008

Mr Sovine and his incredible teaching staff have turned this school around and turning it into one to be proud to be affiliated with. The administrative, student, and parent communication and collaborative efforts are both progressive and highly effective!

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

328 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilities83%
Students without disabilities88%
Proficient in English88%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Band

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11501 Smoketree Dr.