Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

While I feel kids today have it easy compared to the homework we had when I was a kid, I know there is a huge push to do away with homework which I feel would be a huge mistake. I feel my kid's homework load is fair.

My sister and I both graduated from Monacan HS. While education has changed since we were in school Monacan still remains a great school. There is a true sense of community/family in the school. While every school has issues, the Monacan community will rally behind its students and their families. Both of my boys attend Monacan, and no they are not perfect but overall my boys have had a great HS experience with everything from dances to sports to academics. Just to add, my oldest had an IEP due to his ADHD and learning disability and I never had one issue with teachers not honoring and following his IEP. Never had one disagreement with the teachers/counselors involved in planning his IEP. I hear stories from other parents in other schools and I am grateful my boys were able to attend such a great school with caring, approachable, and easy to work with staff and teachers!

Great school with teachers and administration that really care about students. It is a small, hidden gem in Chesterfield County.

Monacan, like much of Chesterfield, has been on a downward slide for the past few decades. We moved out of this district in order to place our two children in the Midlothian HS. James River is also an alternative.

Love this school!! I have 2 in the HPT specialty center from out of district and both are engaged, included and a true chief. The school as a whole is a great community school with support from the neighborhood. The administration is responsive and a fantastic partner in education. My kids are involved in extras within the HPT program as well as activities outside of the program and there is no difference in how they are treated. Truly a one school concept. They also find the curriculum challenging without consuming them allowing for a more well-rounded student. AP classes are numerous and the kids have the ability to choose electives that fit their learning style. School spirit is over the top and I have yet to meet a kid who wasn't polite and courteous to the adults.

Attended specialty center HPT at Monacan. Found that this was far inferior to the Cosby Health Science program. Also kids at school tend to be non inclusive and administration does not look to help those in need only to get positive SOL scores. If your child has issues they will be left to find for themselves. Even if you try to help as a parent they do not want it or respect it.

They have excellent teachers who are highly dedicated great administration excellent academics student community groups high level of parent involvement.

Small class size, good parent involvement, great staff! We are very pleased with academics and extracurriculars at Monacan!

I am a Monacan grad and now have a Jr at Monacan. When I was a student Monacan was fairly new and one of the top schools in the county. Chesterfield over all has declined since I was a student but I have little to complain about from Monacan. The specialty centers has really hurt the athletic programs here - after all how many bookworms do you know play football? And student particpation at events is lacking. Hopefully the new specialty ctr will turn some of that around. Like all schools there are great teachers and bad ones. Great kids and bad ones. We have seen our share of both here. I heard some bad rumors about how far downhill Monacan had gone and give the administration big kudos on turning things around. And as with everything it seems the same parents are the ones volunteering to do everything. . . sad to know so many parents want to complain but yet sit on the side lines and watch. . .

My school is not a school you would want to attend. The math department is a wreck. My Freshman year teacher's curriculum consisted of us watching TV shows that were "math-related" the entire year. Needless to say, almost the entire class failed their SOLs. My math teacher Sophomore year lost a number of my papers, later found them, and refused to grade them appropriately. Many teachers request students to be removed from their class. I have had a teacher refuse to give me after school help. The dress code is out of control. I sewed patches into my jeans (where the holes were) to cover up skin in order to avoid having to buy new clothing, I was sent to the office for "inappropriate attire." Even if rips are below the knees, they are not allowed. If you wear yoga pants to school (covering the entire leg/waist area) you will be sent to the office and told to change. Non-revealing tank-tops are not allowed. Shoulders must be completely covered. Even if your back and cleavage are thoroughly covered, shoulders must not be exposed. My school could improve by revoking the tenure some teachers have, hiring new ones, and altering a few of the ridiculous dress code rules for a start.

Last modified Monacan High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.