Posted September 04, 2013
I am a Monacan grad and now have a Jr at Monacan. When I was a student Monacan was fairly new and one of the top schools in the county. Chesterfield over all has declined since I was a student but I have little to complain about from Monacan. The specialty centers has really hurt the athletic programs here - after all how many bookworms do you know play football? And student particpation at events is lacking. Hopefully the new specialty ctr will turn some of that around. Like all schools there are great teachers and bad ones. Great kids and bad ones. We have seen our share of both here. I heard some bad rumors about how far downhill Monacan had gone and give the administration big kudos on turning things around. And as with everything it seems the same parents are the ones volunteering to do everything. . . sad to know so many parents want to complain but yet sit on the side lines and watch. . .

Monacan High School 2

Posted August 19, 2013
My school is not a school you would want to attend. The math department is a wreck. My Freshman year teacher's curriculum consisted of us watching TV shows that were "math-related" the entire year. Needless to say, almost the entire class failed their SOLs. My math teacher Sophomore year lost a number of my papers, later found them, and refused to grade them appropriately. Many teachers request students to be removed from their class. I have had a teacher refuse to give me after school help. The dress code is out of control. I sewed patches into my jeans (where the holes were) to cover up skin in order to avoid having to buy new clothing, I was sent to the office for "inappropriate attire." Even if rips are below the knees, they are not allowed. If you wear yoga pants to school (covering the entire leg/waist area) you will be sent to the office and told to change. Non-revealing tank-tops are not allowed. Shoulders must be completely covered. Even if your back and cleavage are thoroughly covered, shoulders must not be exposed. My school could improve by revoking the tenure some teachers have, hiring new ones, and altering a few of the ridiculous dress code rules for a start.

Posted September 11, 2012
I love Monacan with all my heart. I have made lifelong friendships with teachers that have been incorporated into outside of school activities. Most of the faculty is warm right from the beginning but as with many people, some take awhile to warm up. Mr. Broyles is a man who I will constantly be in touch with, he has made more of an impact on my life than I can even put into words. He goes far and beyond of his expectations and has opened the door to many opportunities for me. I do agree with many that the Humanities students are favored by much of the faculty, but they do deserve it for the extra work they do. I would recommend this school to anyone, it is always changing, evolving, and improving.

Posted August 06, 2012
My daughter graduated from this school and got accepted to the Fashion Institute of Technology in NY! This school has great diversity which prepares them for the real world. The school is safe and the faculty is great.

Posted April 04, 2012
Monacan is a very good school. My oldest daughter has graduated and excel here while attending. I currently have a son attending and the teachers are very involved and will call or email if they have any concerns. The staff is nice, cooperative and pleasant to get along with too.

Monacan High School 3

Posted July 06, 2011
Monacan is 1 of the most diverse schools in Chesterfield, but to say they treat everyone equally would be a lie. The kids in the Humanities program are good students, but for all the privileges they get from staff they get to slack off a bit much. The math dept. isn't very good but other academics are okay. Most teachers do care, although they get frustrated teaching only what's on SOLs. Mr.Broyles is also an involved, caring principal. The fine arts are great, and so are most sports(not so much football). There was a good amount of fighting this year, but overall it's a decent school to go to.

Posted June 19, 2011
2011 was a great year for Monacan. We have a wonderful administration, strong PTSA, supportive boosters organizations, and a "real world" atmosphere in our culturally diverse school. I am proud that my kids attend Monacan where they are constantly challenged and well prepared for college. Mr Broyles cares greatly for his students and teachers and shows that on a daily basis.

Posted February 09, 2011
Great School! Mr. Broyles continues to lead the Monacan Community in so many wonderful ways. Parental involvement is welcomed and encouraged. Love the Humanities program.

Posted May 20, 2010
My oldest child is a student at Monacan. I was nervous about them in high school not knowing what to expect. But I have been so pleasantly surprised. It has been a good experience and as a parent I am very thankful for that.

Posted May 11, 2010
Monacan High School has strong leadership from their administration. Each year the school gets stronger and stronger with fewer issues and more students receiving a solid education. The faculty like any other school has great to marginal teachers. Overall Monacan is a great school for students to learn.

Monacan High School
11501 Smoketree Dr., Richmond, VA  23236
Last modified Monacan High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monacan High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top