Richmond, VA

Posted September 10, 2014
We have started year 2 @ Dumbarton and it is going great so far! Last year after moving from Alabama we sent the kids to shady grove and to our surprise they were not comfortable. Upon switching to Dumbarton the kids got 2 screamers for teachers. I mean those ladies would've done fine as drill sergeants! Due to health reasons....in comes Ms. Ricca, a true Godsend! My son became so motivated. She had so much energy and a new outlook on teaching. I believed that teachers had a hard enough job without hovering parents. Ms. Ricca quickly put those thoughts to rest and welcomed volunteerism from day 1. The children had some issues with others in school and on the bus that required parental and faculty involvement. Despite the few hiccups, last year was a success! After a summer of leisure they were ready to get back in school!

Posted June 23, 2014
My son started kindergarten last year. The teacher in his class was nice and cooperative. The new principal appears to be attitude. Didn't find the front desk staff rude. The school needs to focus on guiding and providing good opportunity to talented students too.

Posted June 10, 2014
With the new principle there has been a major turn around at this school. All of the teachers my son has had have been great. They have been very open with communication. They have definitely increased the involvement with the parents.

Posted April 01, 2014
I agree with the commenters. This school is awful. My son went to Dumbarton in the fall of 2012 for pre-K. I did not like the principle's attitude at all and the front desk staff was mediocre. I would not recommend this school. My son was withdrawn after 2 months.

Posted March 28, 2014
I take back the review I gave on March 26, 2014. The school may be great but the administrators at the front desk and principal are not! Just rude, inconsiderate and do not remember anyone! If I treated my clients like they did me today I would be fired!

Posted March 25, 2014
the school is not as bad as the reviews is saying you may have your ups and downs but when you get teachers take care about your students that's what life matters. I've never ran into a teacher that didn't care about my kids have three of them there and every teacher that they have had their push them in a courage them to do their best.

Posted July 26, 2013
I"m giving this school one star only because there is no Zero star. Please do not send your child to this school as your child will not learn anything. The teachers are unresponsive and mean to students, plays favoritism, not remotely interested in teaching and frankly could care less about anything relating to the students, There is a lot of bullying and fighting going on on a daily basis and the teachers do nothing. Words cannot describe how horrible this school is and frankly most of the teachers should be fired or sent for more education , both academically and socially.

Posted July 10, 2013
This school is awful and I would never recommend that any parent send their child here! The teachers are unresponsive and rude...at best. My sons self esteem has been damaged by his 1st grade teacher who probably should have retired 5 years ago. At least six others parents, that I know of, have complained about this particular teacher and the very passive principal could care less. Packing up and moving solely because of the school and the fact that I dont want my son in this unorganized, noncompasionate school any longer.

Posted July 08, 2013
horrible school this school is struggling to teach me anything that i don't already know from fourth grade right now i'm reading this book about what your 5th grader should know and so far i can't understand a thing in math,science,etc the teachers don't like you asking questions, truthfully I think their lucky to have a rating of 4.

Dumbarton Elementary School 2

Posted June 12, 2013
It took forever for the school to acknowledge my child's need for an IEP. I may just have had bad luck but first 2 teachers were ill-equipped to handle my child's needs. The first thought it was a discipline problem and lectured me in our first parent/teacher meeting, informing me on four occasions, "Discipline is love." When my daughter was diagnosed, the teacher would tell me, "I feel so sorry for her" when she exhibited poor social skills. The 2nd teacher was openly rude and dismissive of me and the concerns I expressed. I am fearful of how our 3rd year will go and what type of teacher we will get. Wish I could transfer to another school in our district but am not hopeful this can happen without moving. I need a more competent staff who knows how to better support a child with learning disabilities and who will treat parents of these children like partners and not like opposition or the enemy. The school would improve if they provided coaching to teachers on how to effectively and politely engage parents. I would never recommend this school if your child requires special education. It is a full-time job being an advocate for your child at this school. You also need thick skin.

Dumbarton Elementary School
9000 Hungary Spring Rd, Richmond, VA  23228
Last modified Dumbarton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dumbarton Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top