Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

We have a student in Ridge and live in the neighborhood. We are ecstatic with the quality of education and instruction our son has received. The teachers seem to love working in the school and have "buy in" to the school program. The school is beautifully diverse. Anyone considering this school should see the diversity, both economic and ethnic, as a positive aspect of this school. The rating on greatschools is way off. GreatSchool's metrics seem to punish schools that have English Language Learners. We have found the the supports that are out in place for ELL students have also benefited our student. Additionally, are child is learning about new cultures as the school reflects the future diversity that this generation will experience. Please, please consider Ridge, and the surrounding neighborhood as a destination for your family. It is a wonderful place. (My wife and I are licensed educators and I process a doctoral degree in education).

I will piggyback on the previous parent's post by admitting to being anxious about sending my 5 year old to Ridge. I will admit seeing the 5 on great schools, as well as it being Title 1 made me apprehensive. In the months leading up to him starting school at Ridge, I asked many Ridge parents I met at the school playground about their experience and they all overwhelmingly said they love this school. I was still skeptical. I will say I have been so pleased with my son's progress in the 2 months he's been at this school. The instruction is absolutely wonderful. My son is happy to go to school everyday, and he loves his teacher!! i have not seen where there are crazy behavior issues. In fact, my son's kindergarten teacher doesn't have a behavior modification plan in place because he says he doesn't need one. Behavior definitely does not take away from instruction from what I have seen. The PTA seems very active within the school, and there are many opportunities for parents to participate if they so desire. Overall, I have been extremely pleased by what I have seen so far. My son is happy and is learning....what more can a parent want for their child.

We have recently moved to Ridge and after seeing a five rating on Great Schools I was nervous. However I have been nothing but pleased with Ridge. I have three children attending Ridge. My oldest two children were identified as gifted in our previous school district. We are in the midst of going through that process at Ridge. I was nervous that my children would not feel challenged in this period, but the faculty and staff have done everything in the world to enrich their school experience as to create a fun and active learning environment. My children are loving their school. Yes, this is a diverse school but it enriches the life of the school. The teachers are more than qualified to teach to various levels and from what I can tell the school does a wonderful job at working with all the students. My children look forward to going to school and are driven by innovative teachers who go above simply teaching for the test.

I cannot find any reason that Ridge would rate a 5 out of 10. This rating scale is far from the reality and misrepresents the school. I am an active PTA parent at Ridge. I have been for 10 years. Ridge Staff and teachers do a great job of meeting the needs of our students and families. The Title 1 program helps our school to go above and beyond in providing assistance needed for students. Many of our principals have been promoted because of the wonderful results they have achieved at Ridge. The school remains fully accredited throughout the years, even when neighboring schools have fallen behind. The staff puts a lot of effort forth to promote enthusiasm for learning. The staff is very involved and responsive to our PTA. We have many parents who are in the school regularly during the day to assist teachers, promote programs, and enhance Parent-teacher communication through newsletters and other items. Ridge has also adjusted its teaching to the wide range of student abilities by adding IE classes, gifted resources, and multi-level math classes. Each year Ridge sends students on to Tuckahoe MS IB, Moody MS, and Three Chopt gifted. If you have concerns about Ridge, please contact the school directly. They can provide you with a tour of the school or answer your questions and concerns via email or phone. Also, please ask to be put in touch with our PTA. We are very proud of our school and its accomplishments, so we'd be happy to answer any questions.

We have been at Ridge Elementary for two years now, and we have had an awesome experience. The diversity is phenomenal - my son gets to interact with children from many varied backgrounds and has learned so much from this interaction. The PTA is extremely active and works hard to offer various after school and weekend activities to engage the community. The staff is quite dedicated to the children, more so than I have experienced at other schools. Ridge is a Title 1 school, which means a certain percentage of the students qualify for free/reduced lunch. This also means they receive federal funding that other schools do not - the funds go towards all types of education and experience enrichment, such as an incredible reading library and extra help in the classrooms. I didn't know much about Title 1 prior to this experience, but I have found it to be a huge bonus. This school's test scores may not be as high as others in Henrico County, but there is a large ESL population which needs to be taken into account when looking at the statistics. Overall, the quality of education we've received to date has been excellent. I would recommend Ridge without hesitation to anyone.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

depends on the behavior levels of the classroom. we had a very efficient teacher but if the children are consistently misbehaving the efficiency goes down. there is a lot of team work among the teachers so the kids do move around.

Amount of homework: Agree

I felt it was a fair amount, some of it was just busy work but it kept the routine going and it was a good way for parents to get a better understanding of what they were learning in the classroom.

Develops character: Agree

The students are treated kindly by the staff. They do care about the children. Students are trusted to bring home papers to have signed and to return work as needed.

This is a Title 1 school, please research to you what that means. There is very little parent involvement (ie a shortage on field trips and no parents active in school classrooms). Communication only comes on paper in multiple languages where other schools utilize the School Districts message boards. This school is catered to the diversity ethnically and socio-economically so much that if you are outside that you are easily missed. A lot of children have had no to little preschool prior to starting so be prepared for very basics to take up a good chunk of the learning curriculum. Currently there is a lot of focus on misbehavior in the classroom, leaving well behaved children with out valuable time with their teacher. As of last year there were 16 languages spoken in the school and 32 countries...so the information provided on this site is not completely accurate.

Ridge Elementary is like an "old school" elementary school :) The teachers are very caring and seem genuinely happy to be there! The front office ladies are so friendly and everyone seems to know every child's name :)

Last modified Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.