Bad
Good

Been here for 3 years now and I can say I've been very happy with the education and the teachers for the most part. The School has pushed hard to get test scores up and innovate the classrooms. The involvement by parents and teachers in after school programs has improved but there are are lot of "back in the day" thinking when this school had a completely different demographic. It's a school of working parents but that shouldn't stop us from being involved in our kids education, but without having helicopter parents. I hope people will step up in bigger ways and get involved actively. I have one pre-k child getting help with special services through the school in speech therapy and he has improved tremendously. There are a couple of new teachers this year and I think that is a good thing,, new ideas and fresh non-jaded people. School politics is crazy everywhere, but carver is a very nice school and I look forward to being apart of it success. There is a great vibe here and it feels like we turned a corner, I hope the community will begin to embraces us further as they have other schools in the area.

I have two young African American boys with ADHD, the school does not have any behavioral health services in the school like Richmond city schools have. They basically have forced me to medicate my children. They have a padded room that they have asked my permission to lock my child in when and if he has a outburst and gets upset. They also keep suspending my child at least twice a month for defiance. The last Principal knew how to work with them, but the new one Mr. Armbruster and the Assistant principal refuse to deal with them and have yelled at them, and threatened to call the police and child protective services on us. I've never had a problem with the teachers, the seem to love my kids and have taken on the task of helping them learn. They also have given us gift cards and presents for the boys for Christmas. When I had to renew my sons lunch application, the teachers paid for my sons lunch for a week or so.

I have to agree with the post submitted by a parent in March, 2013. Glad to find out there will be another principal coming coming. I extremely hope that he can do something for this school! It is not just the school, it is the parents of the area as well. This used to be a nice area, now since they have included every run down apartment complex in the zone, it has gotten horrible and the admin. is extremely tight lipped to these parents who either come across as threatening or can't communicate due to lack of speaking English. Also too many teachers who need to retire because they refuse to accept that they need to change their teaching approaches.

Pretty good, some of the teachers are very rude but others are veryyyyy nice. The pricipal always acts like we're little kindergarteners, and it gets frustrating. my current teacher is sooo awesome there isn't another better one. Just the other ones are totally different

Great teachers and staff. My son got an excellent education at Carver. He attended Kg. through 5th grade. The PTA is very active and supportive of the teachers. The principal was available for meetings or phone calls when needed. My husband and I were very pleased with our Carver experience!

I'm quite shocked and stunned at how low the ratings are for CARVER... My daughter has been going here for 2 years- transferred from colonial trail and my other daughter just started Kindergarten here.... the least Carver should get is a 10! the staff and principle at this school are amazing, the parents are amazing, everyone works together as such a team for anything that has to do with Carver, we all genuinely love our school, Mrs.Gutkin the principle is an amazing leader as from personal experience she was my 4th grade teacher!!!! so great school spirit here and the fact that my daughter has excelled in every subject each year is a wonderful feeling knowing she is getting a great education, the teachers are so involved with helping the students, it truly is an amazing school! you feel welcomed by everyone the second you walk through the doors... best experience i've had with any school so far!

I find it difficult to communicate with my child's teacher. She is unable to use email. She's non-responsive to notes I leave for her. Also, Carver has very limited resources available for dealing with children with advanced reading and math skills.

Above average in the way the principal handles the parent concerns. Be aware of the teachers and check their ratings carefully. Overall, Carver has great teachers that truly care about the students. However, one bad apple spoils the lot. There are a few teachers here that need to be reprimanded for their lack of professionalism. As a parent, make certain you check with other parents, check the teacher's results on SOL testing, etc. Do your due diligence.

I agree the Carver teacher go the extra mile with the students. They are terrific! I felt very comfortable with my daughter attending there and she is excelling in all subjects.

Carver is a great school. It's relatively small and very close-knit. I was sad to see Mr. Cantone leave as principal, but I'm confident Mrs. Gutkin will make her own contributions in time. The teachers have been great so far. My only complaint is that the school does not have a gymnasium. It's designed much like the elementary school I attended, where we used the cafeteria for a gym. I'm not sure why Carver chose to use a 'multi-purpose' room instead, as it isnt' large enough for very many indoor athletic activities. All in all, I'm very pleased and my son has made great friends.

Last modified Ruby F. Carver Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.