Richmond, VA

Skipwith Elementary School 4

Posted November 06, 2014
This is our first year at this school and my daughter loves it! Sure there are problem children in her class (special needs), but she has had issues at previous schools with bullying and Mr. Smith is on top of everything at this school. I could not even tell you who the principal is because I have never met her. Any questions or concerns are addressed in a prompt and courteous manner by VP Smith. Her 3rd grade teacher is wonderful (MRS. R). I am not in PTA because I am into that sort of thing, but I volunteer in class field trips and any fundraiser/drive done. My daughter's teacher emails me at least once a week.

Skipwith Elementary School 3

Posted August 29, 2014
I've had three kids go through Skipwith. Overall it's alright if your kids are already well balanced socially and academically. You really have to get involved with teachers/administrators to ensure your child does not get passed over for academic and other social opportunities that arise, and to let them know that you're watching! They often blame it on the kids not bringing the papers home. Some teachers are very nice and genuinely focused in administering course content. But recently there has been churn which makes you wonder why they're leaving. The PTA is clique-ish and not open to new people or ideas. Perhaps it will turn around with a new president and reshuffling of the henchwomen. Father figures, please get involved! The principal will return your email when she ever gets around to it - not the courtesy deserving of tax paying parents. Collaboration, Dr. Thomas! Check out the SOL ratings on this site for yourself to make an objective opinion. Unfortunately, unless you can afford to go private your designated school is based on your address. I'm giving Skipwith 3 stars because there's definitely room for improvement all round.

Skipwith Elementary School 4

Posted January 26, 2014
So far so Good! Great teachers(some) and AMAZINGLY Diverse! Personally, I like the school,my son is 4 (in Pre-k) and my daughter is 8 (3rd grade) and this is her 2nd year here, below is MY EXPERIENCE: My Son's Teacher: She's nice but seems inexperienced with how to be Personable and Welcoming toward parents. I would think she would be more friendly because she does work with preschoolers. But on the flip side his secondary teacher is AWESOME, my son loves her, I think because she's older (grandmotherish) but overall he's doing very well, he was very shy and is now coming out of his shell a bit. He's advancing educationally & socially so overall I'm happy! My Daughter(8):Teacher: OMG!LOVE,LOVE,LOVED her teacher last year,Lovely,Personable,Welcoming,Friendly,Kind..seriously like a grandma to both my kids( she even checks in on my son this year) most of those stars above belong to her...Love u Mrs.B! And her current teacher(3rd graden Mrs.S) is WONDERFUL as well, I haven't spent as much time with her but the time I have spent has been LOVELY! Parent pick up teachers are AWESOME! Lunchroom monitors are MEAN, Father club unorganized, Principal is O.K.,I guess I'm SATISFIED. ..:-)

Posted November 25, 2013
This school aint got nuttin good bout it. Every time i holla actchu boy they be disrespectin n stuff. so i dun aprreciate it

Skipwith Elementary School 2

Posted December 12, 2011
This school is o.k. I have a lot problems with identifying my childs needs for advancement. They are very quick to test your child or get a case study if your child is high energy. I don't know if it a funding issue, where they need to identify as many children as the can for services. My child is not hyperactive nor does he display it home but they seemed to think he did at school. He is very smart, as is my daughter, but they seem to only focus on their weakness.

Posted March 18, 2011
Not happy with school Cannot idetufy a students potantail until the parents get after the teachers in making them understand. A lot of politics.

Posted May 19, 2010
Had to switch teachers in the middle of the year. First kindergarten teacher was terrible with my special needs child. Skipwith iha a rep w/ the parents of special needs children. Most of those kids are removed from classroom and placed in higher or lower grade class as punishment or sent home as undocumented suspension. HOWEVER, OUR NEW TEACHER IS TERRIFIC. No problems at all (same child different teacher....proves the teacher makes the difference!!). I hope that Skipwith learns that this lesson!!

Skipwith Elementary School 0

Posted May 18, 2010
The staff is great and the kids represent diversity at it's best!

Skipwith Elementary School 0

Posted April 03, 2009
Teachers are awesome..my daughter loves to go to school..

Posted December 06, 2008
This is our first year here and I am not pleased with what I have seen. My child is not being challenged for his level of learning. I also believe that our kids deserve the occasional school party it breaks up the norm, our old school had one for every 'break' we trying to get a variance to attend a new school now.n One good thing is the running club in the morning my child does enjoy that.

Skipwith Elementary School
2401 Skipwith Rd, Richmond, VA  23294
Last modified Skipwith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Skipwith Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top