L. Douglas Wilder Middle School 2

Posted June 14, 2013
Wilder Middle School is a pathetic school, from beginning to end. My oldest son went there for his 3 years. This was my younger son's first year there and it will be his last. Constant fights, drugs, cigarettes, racism, bullying and theft go on there with little involvement of the teachers. The teacher's give very little effort when it comes to day to day studies. They fully rely on the children's laptops as their substitute learning device and contribute very little to the learning experience. As far as allowing the parents to become involved I would say that's limited to sporting and other extracurricular activities. After signing in, once to pick up my son from class for a family emergency they sent a police officer to escort me back to the door while they repeated his name over the intercom. I am well know at any school my children attend and have never been made to stand at the front door after signing in. They also tried to suspend my son twice for being attacked by another student.

Posted October 17, 2012
This year (20112-13), Wilder Middle School has shown its true colors of excellency. The new principal and the staff have really pulled together to enforce parent's and student's understanding of their high expectations. Parents are committed to partnering in these goals and the students are on board with meeting and surpassing these expectations. My son is being challenged with a curriculum that is designed to meet his educational needs (which are high achieving). And I feel Wilder is preparing him well for his future. Great job, Wilder!!!

Posted June 14, 2011
There a lot of rumors about Wilder being ghetto,hood and ect. But the truth is the only thing truly wrong with the school is the students. All because of the things we hear in 4th and 5th grade some or should I say most of them think it is their duty to act in such a "ghetto' manner when half of which are just faking it so they can get along through with ease. Although there is one thing all the other schools will never have. One our brave,loving,strong,understanding, and pure excellent principal. We also have nothing but the best teachers who treat each child with respect and value us as young adults and take crafting our young minds to become future leaders and important people in our communities very seriously. A student at L Douglas Wilder Middle School 7th grade 2011

L. Douglas Wilder Middle School 2

Posted May 19, 2011
I went here from 2006-07 to 2008-2009 and i never really liked it there and i had some problems there as well, but the teachers were really cool and they tried to help you pass for the year. I know people who are from the hood and i can understand why they act the way they act. But i love the friends i still have from there

L. Douglas Wilder Middle School 4

Posted November 01, 2010
As a parent and a teacher, I have the unique opportunity to evaluate this school from both sides of the desk. The teaching staff is well-qualified and the leadership is outstanding. My children are very active and enjoy going to school. If given the option of sending my sons elsewhere, I would absolutely choose Wilder. Go Wolverines!

L. Douglas Wilder Middle School 4

Posted February 17, 2010
My child was one of the few Caucasian children at this school, and I was worried about his safety. However he has adjusted fine, and he really likes it there. There have been brawls in the boys bathrooms, so they are now locked all day. The young men are all polite and I am very impressed. The girls still scare me. They are loud and very rough in nature when in a crowd together. The wrestling team was a very positive experience for my son. The majority of the teachers are very kind and accomodating. They have awesome after school programs where my child gets to learn to cook and swim, and these are provided for free. They also feed the family as well 2 days a week.

Posted July 13, 2009
Wilder has grown leaps and bounds since I began teaching there five years ago. The environment and morale of the teachers and students has changed for the better. Becoming fully accredited has changed not only how Wilder is perceived by the larger community, but how students and teachers feel about themselves. The teachers genuinely care for their students at Wilder. They are well invested in their success. At times, it is frustrating that more parents aren't involved, but many of the parents of Wilder's students work at least two jobs to provide for their children. There are a myriad of social organizations, school wide discipline incentives, and support programs that have recently started at Wider to increase the self-esteem, health and study habits of the students. Wilder continues to move forward towards a bright and continued successful future!

Posted December 12, 2008

Posted December 02, 2008
I was very disappointed with this school. My kids came from an excellent elementary school so it was such and adjusment to this middle school. I felt like the principal shoed alor of favortism and did some unfair things. She made promises she did not keep.

Posted November 16, 2008
As a student i like the school because of my friends but i was mad it took us a while to get accredited but i'm happy we finally did

L. Douglas Wilder Middle School
6900 Wilkinson Rd, Richmond, VA  23227
Last modified L. Douglas Wilder Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
L. Douglas Wilder Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top