Godwin High School

Public | 9-12 | 1831 students

Student diversity

Posted March 5, 2014

I mean...it's not bad. Kind of like leftover pizza. You like it, but you prefer it fresh. Ya dig?

Posted October 26, 2013

my son loves this school.he freshman year one 8 and half weeks he feels very comfortable in this school.Teachers, friends,and higher grade kids help each other so much.People call it school but i think its a small godwin family where every body is lending helping hand to each other .Thank you God for giving me such a great school.

Posted July 27, 2013

Godwin is a really great school to go to. I'm a rising Junior right now, taking multiple APs and honors classes, and I feel ready for them. No, Godwin's not very diverse, but I have never seen someone get bullied, or attacked, and people are really open to "different" people. It's really competitive, and the hallways are crowded, but the kids are friendly and the teachers really want students to learn something. It's a great school to go to, academic and socially!

Posted July 25, 2013

Two of my kids graduated from MG with fabulous educations. No AP grants, no grade inflation like other area schools. No complaints.

Posted June 27, 2013

Godwin is a great school! I am a rising junior--class of 2015. The only bad thing about GHS is it is VERY competitive. Also, it is a huge school--some of the classes have 35 kids in them. It is very easy to feel "lost in the system." Otherwise, Godwin is an amazing school!!

Posted June 22, 2013

I graduated from Godwin in 2009 and this spring I took the next step and graduated from college. I honestly believe that without the solid educational foundation that I built at Godwin, I never would have succeeded to the degree that I did as an undergrad. At Godwin, I took multiple AP classes balanced with varsity sports and was also able to participate in several clubs: I was busy, but content, and by the time I left for college, I had learned how to manage my priorities on a busy schedule. The teachers were phenomenal: they pushed me in all of my classes, but were always willing to provide extra help if I asked for it. I grew into myself at Godwin, and was able to flex my creativity through the artistic license given to me in the classroom, particularly in English and the visual arts. Looking back, high school wasn't a breeze, but I would not trade my experience at Godwin for the world.

Posted May 22, 2013

I am a former student of Godwin. Being a parent myself, I know that the education of my daughter is the first thing my family considers when the possibility of a move is in our future. Attending this high school was not the high point in my education. The class sizes are very large, the teachers do not "teach" enough of their lesson plans in the classroom, so the students are sent home with hours of homework daily. The teachers and administration staff are almost solely focused on students excelling on the standardized tests that their ratings (the school's ratings as a whole) are based on; which is why Godwin rates a 9 out of 10 on this website. I am writing this in the hopes that it will help you to make an educated decision on your child's future. In addition to the above, there truly is a lack of diversity at Godwin. No student (at least in my experience) was recognized nor appreciated for their individuality. Even the art classes offered at this institution do not allow freedom of creativity. If your children are individuals, unique, or creative in any way, you do not want to send them here.

Posted October 3, 2009

my 4 children have and are going there, it prepares students well for their future endeavors

Posted May 20, 2009

Godwin is okay. The regular schedule is killer if you have multiple honors classes. GET INVOLVED! There are so many clubs that cater to your interests, take advantage of it. Most teachers are knowledgeable, but others are not. Make sure you use your time wisely because having 7 classes a day is tough. Overall, Godwin is a great school to get involved in and become one with your fellow classmates and teachers.

Posted April 22, 2009

I'm a student at godwin high school and I think it deserves a 10 out of 10. The teachers are excited about teaching and are really there to help you out. They always make themselves availabe when you need extra help. Godwin also has many great student orginizations and motivated school officers that help plan and lead many school functions. I have also heard from aother students and parents of students that attended Godwin that Godwin really prepares you well for college. i dont think there is any school better than Godwin .GO EAGLES!

Posted December 11, 2007

I am a 2002 graduate of Godwin High School. I graduated in 2006 from Longwood University and now I am in my second year of teaching 5th grade. Godwin is a great school and in one of the best counties in Virginia. I felt very prepared for College and had an excellent high school experience. The school spirit is unlike any other school in Henrico county and the people are real.

Posted December 11, 2007

I will graduate in 2010 and so far, I really like what Godwin has to offer.

Posted May 29, 2007

I am currently a freshman at Godwin and I, personally, love it there. I moved in the summer before freshman year to Richmond. I toured Freeman, Deep Run, and Godwin. I chose Godwin because of its personality. Everyone is fun and friendly, unlike Deep Run where no one spoke. One other thing is that I moved from a private school where the 'popular' clique ruled the school. It was so nice to come to Godwin and not have to worry about who was getting invited to a party and who was wearing the cutest clothes. The teachers are also extremely nice! At my old school most of the teachers did a poor job of preparing you for the next grade level, but Godwin, on the other hand, teaches me so much. Godwin is a great school and I would definetly chose this school for your child!

Posted April 5, 2007

If you are looking for the best school for your child, do not go to Godwin High School. I am a current student and I have one nice teacher that actually cares about the students, all of the other teachers could not care less about your child's education. Please reconsider your thoughts about sending your child to Godwin.

Posted November 14, 2006

As a graduate of the class of 2006 and freshman at James Madison University, I can attest that Godwin prepared me for the college life. Godwin provides academic opportunity and it is up to the student and his/her parents to take it. Many of the classes were not solely SOL-motivated, though students still did well on the tests. Teachers (most, I won't speak in generalities :)) cared for the students' grades. All my teachers provided extra help when asked and took their subjects seriously. Teachers and students are still presented with critical thinking opportunities and many are open to diversity. Sports, the math and science center, clubs, the music department, and drama are all very adequate and rigorous. I highly recommend Godwin to possible 'eagle' parents.

Posted October 19, 2006

I am in my last year at godwin and I have to say, I'm going to miss it! It's a small school so knowing almost everyone is easy (close-knit). Spirit is high because the students love being a godwin eagle. Academics are competitive, encouraging students to excel. Yes, halls are crowded but you still have plenty of time to get to your classes. Lunch is only 23 minutes, so if you want time to eat...don't buy your lunch! (the lunch lines take forever!) The students are about status: clothing, material things, cars, college. But overall I have enjoyed my time here immensely!

Posted October 14, 2006

Godwin is known for its excellence, but I am a current student and personally see no excellence whatsoever. Yes, we may have high test scores, but 95% of the student body are closedminded and unprepared for life. There are, however, some excellent teachers and you may be able to find a few good friends, even if you arent a sheep. Find a different school.

Posted October 5, 2006

I am a 2002 graduate of Godwin High School, now attending the University of Virginia. I believe Godwin High School well prepared me for the rigors of college life. I believe the teachers I had were excellent and very able to convey the information needed to form a successful base for higher education. The students which attend Godwin are of a high caliber and those in honors and AP classes, do enjoy their coursework, although they may not readily admit to it. I know for a fact that Godwin is viewed known to be an excellent school by many of the colleges to which I applied, including Johns Hopkins, University of Washington in St. Louis, and the University of Virginia. Minor concerns such a hall crowding are not indicative of the truly high quality of education which I received there.

Posted May 18, 2006

I have just completed my junior year at Godwin High School (well, as of June 16). I take primarily honors courses with electives and a college level course mixed in. I must say that my experience at this school has not been excellent. First of all, this school is quite old, and everything, from the bathrooms to the learning resources, exhubes a decrepit quality. The cafeteria food tastes little better than dirt, and our air conditioning is always, always messed up! Nonetheless, learning does take place at this institution, and I have greatly enjoyed a few of my classes here. Some teachers are priceless human beings who passionately teach their favorite subjects. Others just go to work everyday. I would definitely like to mention the cutthroat atmosphere here. Everyone wants to go to UVA and will cheat, bend the rules, or any number of things to get there. Thanks!

Posted January 1, 2006

I went to Godwin for three years before moving to Raleigh, NC. The differences in the two schools proved striking! Godwin provides a decent textbook education, but does VERY little to prepare students for the proverbial 'real world.' There is NO diversity at the school, and Godwin unfortunately falls into the cliche of valuing clothes, material things, etc. over character and intelligence. Many of the students are spoiled and wealthy, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. Overall, try to find a magnet school that affords your child a more encompassing experience.
—Submitted by a former student

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

405 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

426 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

409 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

453 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilities89%
Students without disabilities96%
Proficient in English96%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2101 Pump Rd