Posted May 15, 2013
My kids had a long time in westside things change a lot and for good they are latinos and have the best grades ever! Unfortunately teachers can do all work if parents are not involved in ther education .. Its really sad to see kids waiting for ther parents to show up when they have ther promotions in school, education begins at home! My kids have bad experience with other children cuz they are latinos but i explain them that is cuz their parents dont educate them good . I cant just blame the school for that , and get them out , anyways they will always find people like that everywher! Teachers do what they can do but they are not the parent!

Posted August 16, 2011
Silly? You're calling bullying, foul name calling to small children as young as 8 silly. Maybe you were a student there decades ago when Westside was a good school, and I will admit it was, but "TODAY" parents, especially these young parents don't know how or refuse to properly raise their kids, and who suffer? The good kids with good manners suffer. Don't come in here acting like you know what's going on. My 5th grader came home crying everyday because she was being called names. She wouldn't eat, I saw a big change in her grades and personality. All the principals cared about were the sol scores.

Westside Elementary School 5

Posted July 28, 2011
I don't know how it is now, but I went to this school when I was in elementary school. The teachers were super nice, the principals were friendly, and it was a pretty good learning environment all in all! Don't let this silly website's rating change your mind!

Posted November 24, 2010
When asked the question: "What threatens your safety and emotional health?" most kids say, teasing and bullying (Kaiser Family Foundation & Children Now, 2001). Yet many adults, even your parents and teachers, may not realize how often you see or experience bullying at school and elsewhere. Often adults don't see bullying when it happens. And those adults who see it, and do nothing, may not understand that kids can be hurt by bullying. Kids who are bullied day after day can feel helpless and alone. They may become too scared to report the bullying, fearing that adults won't believe them. Kids also worry that if the bullies find out they "tattled," the bullying may get worse. To protect kids who are bullied, parents and all adults must understand what bullying is, how harmful it can be, and the best ways to stop bullying behaviors.

Westside Elementary School 0

Posted September 15, 2009
My son has been a westside student sense he was in pre-k and he is now in the 3rd grade all the teacher seems to be great and really take time out for their students. I wouldnt change my sons from westside for nothing in the world!!!

Westside Elementary School 0

Posted June 04, 2009
My Son has been going to this school since 2007 after we moved from Vinton. Before he attended Westside he attended H.L. Horn. When he attended H.L. Horn he hated school. After attending Westside he loves school, I had to keep him home 1 day due to being sick with the flu & he begged me to allow him to go & cried all day when I wouldn't. Since 2007 he has been on the honor roll. He loves his teachers & Dr. Belcher the principal is wonderful any problems we have had she has taken care of immediately. Before my son went to Westside he had trouble with his grades, self esteem & even started having depression. After Westside all those problems went away. My husband & I love this school & highly recommend it.

Posted February 04, 2009
The teachers are fixated on the fact that 'all city kids' are bad. Therefore some of the teachers at this school do not put in the effort that the child my need. Physiscal Education is not a high priorty as well, the children are lucky if the go once every 2 weeks. The classroom size is too small for kids to move around in.

Westside Elementary School 5

Posted September 03, 2008
My daughter attended this GREAT school. for 3 years. I have attened the graduation ceromoniies and Its amazing the level of knowledge the students have acquired and the motovation of the teachers, students and Prinicipal Belcher. Grace Hickenbotham

Posted February 16, 2008

Posted December 04, 2007
Dr. Belcher is a great principal. Just like everyone else, you sometimes don't agree with a decision that a person has made, but you have to decide if that decision was best for everyone involved. She is a strong woman who knows how to run her school and tries to motivate students, parents, as well as staff to participate and enjoy learning and doing. I don't know about the rest of the teachers, but with my son, this is his first year at Westside, and his teacher is excellent. She cares about her students learning, and keeps me in the loop on all things.

Westside Elementary School
1441 Westside Blvd NW, Roanoke, VA  24017
Last modified Westside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westside Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top