PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I clicked on the "somewhat" option. That however does not apply as it is a group call of educators in numers. NEVER possible. Educators change from year to year in effectiveness. Some vary in the high "90s" range from 90-99 every year, and some.... from 71 to 54. Some even less straight from College. Teachers have gone from teaching how to think and to go for achieving excellence in perfect fact based papers, mathematic equations, word use and even civics or behavior to the acceptance of teaching, (so its called) "acceptable" answers to standardized tests, how NOT to write , and that being "different" is better than being part of a strong group. ...........FIN.

Amount of homework: no rating

This depends only on one thing. What quantity of the total expected syllabus is covered inside the classroom or by lecture/testing. The rest is by students independently and brought in for grading or review. Simple.

These reviews seem to feature mostly overly emotional non-fact based and reality oriented review. These are of almost ZERO value to anyone considering the educational value of the school, or at least SHOULD be. By reading them all you might get something of a view of the "bitter" folks who have departed and also a few who have excelled, but that is not something I would use to judge when educating my children.

I attended this school from Grade 6 to 12. Amazing, warm & loving environment. My classes were small and the teachers were very attentive. Every person in my graduating class attended and graduated college and many have gone on to higher degrees. Proud to say that I went to this school and wish I still lived in Roanoke so I could send my daughter here, too.

Strong academics, strong ethical training and a departure from the "teach to the test" necessity in other schools. Independent thinking and participation is encouraged. RCS is a safe, loving envirionment with caring staff and administration.

I do not understand the 1 and 2 star ratings on here. Roanoke Catholic is not a snobby school. I speak from experience, I am a current parent here. There has never been a time when I felt I was being treated poorly by staff, students or parents. The students and staff are very respectful as are other parents. Before going by what anyone says, just go see for yourself. My children are happy here and have made great friends. It is nice knowing I send my children to a school in which other parents are like minded, having strong morals and values. Not only do my children go here, but my husband all his siblings and my father and all his siblings graduated from here. All of whom graduated college, and went on to get masters degrees. They were all very well prepared for college and life after.

I have seen my grandsons grow and blossom since they have been attending Roanoke Catholic School. The one star review are unfounded and I don't understand. A wonderful school and my grandsons are proof that this is a great school.

I do not like this school at all. The teachers and other personell are very rude and not helpful at all. There are a lot of snobbish parents at this school, so if you don't live by their standards you get frowned upon.

Roanoke Catholic has both strengths and weaknesses - but far more weaknesses than strengths. The school is weak academically, strong athletically, and weak in all other extracurriculars. Academically, Roanoke Catholic is inferior to many of the excellent public schools in the Roanoke Valley. Ask the faculty what the average AP test scores are in the few AP classes it offers - or even the highest AP test scores - and then ask the same question at a public school and you will find RCS's numbers to be far inferior. RCS has excellent teachers and terrible teachers. . If your child attends RCS, they will experience the gamut of stellar teachers and horrible ones. Most students at RCS participate in sports, and this is a great thing. It's the best thing about the school. When I attended, RCS lacked extracurricular activities like a high school music program and a debate team. Many parents send their children to RCS if they have behavioral problems and can't excel at public school. This is a problem for all other students. Last but not least, there is a lot of wealth at RCS, leading to a snobby social atmosphere. I would never consider sending my child to this school.

Roanoke Catholic was a wonderful school when I attended during my middle school and high school years. However, my son has attended the school for 5 years now and I am no longer impressed. Academically they do push the students to excel (keep in mind that my son is on the honor roll), but there is a lot of testing and pressure that I feel detracts from a true love of learning. I also feel that some of the students and parents do not display a true Christian spirit. Budget cuts have caused the school to eliminate positions (guidance counselor, resource teacher) and I feel that bullying has increased since these changes have occured. I also feel that the administration will play "favorites" with students based on the social standing of the family. I hate that I had such a positive experience there as a student and my son has not. Needless to say.....he will not be returning next year.

Last modified Roanoke Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12