No rating

Community School

Private | PK-8 | 130 students

Living in Roanoke

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $810.

Posted February 7, 2013

Great learning environment for young children ~ kids are given the ability to explore their personal interests more than they can in public school. The teachers are fantastic, too! There is not another school around that even compares to this one in allowing children to grow, learn, explore and form lifelong friendships. Great school!

Posted January 14, 2013

I love Community School. My son started there in middle school and we love it! His teachers are caring, kind, and concerned. He previously went to another private school that focused on rote learning and really stifled his creativity. He began to hate school even though he was an honor roll student who was actually skipped a grade! Community School has renewed his love of learning and challenged him so much more! He was so focused on always getting the "right" answer that he did not value the lesson learned from making mistakes and realizing that sometimes there can be more than one answer. Previous people have mentioned the school's lack of diversity and while there are not a lot of minority children at the school my son is one of them and we have not experienced any problems. I truly feel that Community School has embraced my child and our family, but most importantly I will forever be grateful that they have returned my son's natural love of learning.

Posted January 9, 2013

going to Community School was the best experience that i ever had. i was part of the exchange program that the school has for 2 years, i am bolivian and CS is the most welcoming school ever, the fact that the classes are so small help students to conect with the teachers in a way i had never seen before, this kids are very respectfull not only to the teachers and principals but also to each other, and there is 0 bullying tolerance. this school helps children to overcome their fears and problems is has excellent teacher who gare very involved with their students and helps them feel comftable with theirselves and have and become part of their families.

Posted January 4, 2013

I have had two children at Community School. I could not be more pleased. Contrary to the review posted below, I found a zero tolerence on the elementary campus for bullying. Not only from the staff but from the students as well. Each child is appreciated for their own personality and strengths, however different they may be. I KNOW my children's self esteem is the best it can be, because they were never worried about being like everyone else. Both my kids have learned that you can find something to like about everyone, no matter how different they may be from you. It is a small campus, less than 140 students with a class size limit of 11 students. I appreciated all the individual attention my children received, I also continue to appreciate, (now that my oldest is in high school) that they are taught to be responsible for thier own education. To study and assimilate information on their own. My child does not need to be held by the hand in preperation for a test. The kids are taught a rule, "The Big One" be kind to yourself, others, and your envirnment. I saw , and heard, this being used constantly. From the preschoolers to the middleschoolers.

Posted January 4, 2013

There is no question in my mind that this IS the best elementary/middle school in the Roanoke Valley. Being a child at CS, my son learns through experience, study and play. He is taught by teachers, administrators and other children. His opinions and input are valued. His interestes in the world are both fostered and challenged. Along with learning science, math, reading, music, art, drama and spanish he learns respect, tolerance, culture and acceptance. He feels free to be himself and is eager to go to school every single day. He feels loved and safe and tells me often how much it means to him to be a part of Community School. People we meet will often ask me where my son goes to school after they have spent time or had a conversation with him, impressed with his knowledge, openness and respectfulness. And usually he answers before I even get the chance: I go to Community School and I love it! I love it, too. I know that every day when I drop him off he is in the care of people who truly love and care for him. Few things give a parent as much comfort when trusting his/her child to the care of others as knowing he is loved and happy in the company of those he is surrounded by.

Posted January 4, 2013

I have to be careful not to gush,so as not to sound insincere. Oh, never mind, I can't help it! To date, Community School has had the single most positive, lifelong effect on my middle school daughter. As a 4th grade public school student, the cumulative effect of years of testing prep, mundane instruction, and lack of time outdoors, left her stagnant and unhappy at school. This same quiet, bored little girl is seen today skipping down the schoolyard paths, arm-in-arm with friends (of all ages, cultures and colors) laughing and excited to participate in what's sure to be an engaging, meaningful activity. She may be reading under a tree, or performing in a play. She could be sharing a current event in morning meeting, or planning meals for the school's camping trip. Recently, she went to DC to take an ethics in photo journalism class and followed up a robotics class with a hands-on visit to the hospital to observe a surgical robot. I think every child can benefit from this learning environment. Visit the school to observe this and more. Only, don't spend a lot of time trying to identify my child. You'll find EVERY CHILD at the school could be the child I described above!

Posted November 27, 2012

The lower Community School lacks diversity of any kind, racial, ethnic, or economic. Therefore, its claims to cultural openness appear to be untested. In addition, its focus on allowing children to be the masters of their own domain also, from what I can see, leads to bullying with little oversight or authority. On the other hand the high school, which is not directly affiliated with Community School but is a "sister school", and at which many of the positive reviews below are directed, does not suffer from the same defects, and is much truer to its mission. The children graduating from Community High School are thoughtful, generally kind, and incredibly self-possessed, prepared to become responsible stewards of our moral culture. I could not be more pleased with Community High School. The lower school is very different, and despite being older in years, has much to learn.

Posted November 27, 2011

We transfered our daughter there when she was entering the 10th grade. At CHS she was stimulated, learned to write, challenged and inspired to reach her greatest potential. I would recommend this high school to anyone wanting something more for their child.

Posted May 11, 2010

LOVE Community High School. I think it may be best for children who are naturally intellectually inquisitive and culturally open-minded. I love the individual attention my daughter gets, and am incredibly pleased with the rigor in the curriculum. Add to this, the children are held directly accountable for their failures and successes -- and that direct accountability works. I have no complaints at all. My daughter really cares what her teachers think of her. There is a mutual respect there I've not witnessed at other schools.

Posted October 30, 2009

Community School is a magical, joyous place where education is about exploring, thinking, creating, and sharing ideas. Students at Community School learn the skills that are truly important in life. Thank you, Community School, for the incredible education that you provided for my child. If only every child could attend a school like this one!

Posted October 29, 2009

Community School focuses on creating a stimulating educational environment for the benefit of its students... not test scores.

Posted October 29, 2009

Community School is a caring learning community where children love to learn!

Posted October 29, 2009

Community School offers a high quality, interactive education, while teaching our kids that kindness and acceptance of others are their own rewards.

Posted October 5, 2009

Community school is amazing because it lets kids that might be a little different completely become comfortable and confident, and helps people who have trouble in public school learn a different way. The classes are small (up to 14 students!!) and its awesome, and the teachers are the most friendly and amazing teachers i have ever had.

Posted October 4, 2009

Community School focuses on learning by doing. Each child gets to take drama, Spanish, art and music and the kids learn great respect for their peers and the world around them. We love Community School!

Posted October 4, 2009

Community School instills a lifelong love of learning in our children and values a holistic and integrated approach to education. Community School s golden rule is: Treat yourself, others, and the environment with care. When your child loves to go to school, that says it all.

Posted August 19, 2006

I worked at Community School as a teaching assistant in the fall of 2001, while I attended Hollins University. It was the most fun I had ever had, it was so motivating for me, being an education major. I have never really seen a school quite like it, and I absolutely loved it. The kids were so great, I got to be close with a lot of them, and they were all bummed, (as was I) when I moved back to Ohio. The teachers were amazing! They all had such a connection with the kids, and the children showed a respect that you just don't see at many schools today. It was my favorite job ever! And, if I lived in Roanoke again, I would send my two children there without a doubt. (Plus, I would love to be a teaching assistant again!)
—Submitted by a staff

Posted March 28, 2006

Small classes, excellent teachers, and a great environment for growing well-rounded kids. The schools has helped my two children develop a strong sense of self, respect for others, love of learning. All students take Spanish, art, drama, music, computers. Grades interact, siblings can spend time together, and children are grouped -- in core subjects of literacy and math -- based on ability, not age. Students assess their own work, and set goals quarterly. There's a new, environmentally friendly school building. Teachers teach kids to think through problems, not take tests. Small class sizes allow them to tailor instruction to a child's interests. There's an emphasis on using the community as a classroom -- lots of field trips in the school vans. Kids come home dirty, but happy.

Posted January 14, 2005

Parents are highly involved in this school's function. Academic programs are excellent (especially the Spanish program). No sports teams, yet children do things outside of school (premier soccer teams, Dance etc.) Drama program is nice. High school program is amazing.
—Submitted by a former student

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7815 Williamson Road