Roanoke, VA

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted July 28, 2015
There were 2-3 teachers that were well respected for their efforts and commitment to the students learning but overall the teachers are not very effective. Most of them are not trained teachers. The academic standards are very low at Life Academy and the results prove it. Students who transfer to public schools find themselves behind in core subjects.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 28, 2015
The level of effort required from each student is very low. Students are given extension after extension and allowed to turn in work weeks late. Grades are given to help students instead of measure their learning.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 28, 2015
The school leadership, Joe Copolo, Josh Crouse, and Ruth Wallace have mislead parents about the academic accreditation and success of the school. This past year they hid the fact that the principal was leaving until after they had opened enrollment hoping to cash-in on the reputation and respect of the beloved principal. The principal left to go to another school and now it is obvious why. They do not model honesty, integrity, and fairness.

Posted July 28, 2015
The school has declined to the point of being rated terrible. They had to quit offering 7-12th grades because the school could not keep past students or recruit new students. The academic quality is poor and the leadership is seriously lacking. The chancellor was recently forced to resign from the academy and church for some unthinkable action. The academy administrator is not an educator and does not have experience or training to run a school. Their is no principal for the school as the beloved principal left to go to another school apparently because of the dysfunction faced while leading at the academy. We pulled our children because the situation was so dire.

Posted August 30, 2014
Incredible leadership. I don't have kids of my own but my nephew attends the school. I have been by several times and I'm always impressed.

Posted January 15, 2014
Nothing but bullies with no discipline from the staff or parents! They need new teachers and leaders for this school! Worst school I've ever seen in my life! Why would anyways pay to fund this school! Do not send your child to this school!!

Posted October 09, 2013
Afternoon teachers lost my child. They were not sure of where he was. The school did nothing to discipline staff and only added a minimal policy regarding lost children to please us. They do not keep a close eye on children. Toddlers are expected to behave perfectly. If your child misbehaves they will contact you to pick her up immediately. School claims to be a ministry first, but be warned although it may have a Christian title, its business backbones are anything but.

Posted September 12, 2011
My daughter is in the Pre-K class here and she absolutely loves it! They have small classes that allow for each child to have individual attention and care. My daughter always comes home with a new song, story, or game she learned in school and always comes home with new artwork which she loves to display at home.

Posted October 29, 2009
I am new to the school this year but it has been a great first simester. The Principal is my daughters language arts teacher and the Vice Principal is her history teacher. I love that they have such a small class that they can spend the time needed with each student. This school has turned my daughter around and it is well worth the sacrifice that my husband and I have to make to have her in this school. The tuition reasonable and I feel that the teachers really care about the students they teach.

Posted September 15, 2008
I think this school's christian background is very well known

7422 Deer Branch Road, Roanoke, VA  24019
Last modified Life Academy & Life After School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Life Academy & Life After School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top