No rating

Roanoke Valley Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 342 students

We are best known for Christian curriculum.

Living in Roanoke

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $810.

Posted May 21, 2014

My child started attending RVCS when she started kindergarten. She is now in the second grade. We will have our second child starting there in kindergarten in the fall. I can't say enough how pleased I am with the school. The teachers the are all certified and degreed, that is hard to find in Christian schools. The staff genuinely care for the development, both academically and spiritually in every child. From administration on through to the volunteer program, we have been well pleased. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a quality Christian education.

Posted March 26, 2014

Some of these one star posts do not surprise me. From my experience with this school, the "Christianity" they try to teach is of the typical phony "holier than thou" variety which many of us are, unfortunately, painfully aware. If you want them to bestow the title of "brother" or "sister" on you, just claim to believe whatever they say and never ever question their very false assumptions about the bible,basic science or reality. I would never send my children there.

Posted October 28, 2013

I am very thankful for this school and it's great teachers. It has been a very positive influence in my children's lives, and has allowed them some unique and character building experiences!

Posted October 26, 2013

RVCS is a great place for students of all ages. Teaching not only the typical reading, writing, and math, but they also teach foreign language, music, computer, and most importantly, they teach about God.

Posted October 24, 2013

Rvcs is an amazing school! Not just for the academics but the Biblical truths and principles that are reinforced. They work with parents to help your children grow academically and spiritually. Dealing with teachers and staff is like dealing with friends. They genuinely care about the whole family! It is such a blessing to have the opportunity to send our children here to receive a great education but also great biblical principles that will be instilled in them forever.

Posted October 24, 2013

Our school serves Preschool 2 years of age through grade 12. Those of us on staff are unified in our mission to teach a Biblical world view through out the curriculum. Graduates from our school are well prepared for further education. We are accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International. We currently enroll 300 plus students.

Posted October 24, 2013

Great school both educationally and morally. Really seems to be teaching Character to my children. I have seen them grow so much being there! A++++++ Would recommend RVCS to anyone looking for CHRISTIAN education.

Posted October 23, 2013

RVCS is a great school. It's very strong academically as well as spiritually. Our family has been very happy here for the past twelve years; it is a great family atmosphere. So, if you are looking for a school that will love, teach and prepare your children for life with Christ as the center then RVCS is the school for you.

Posted October 23, 2013

RVCS provides a wonderful well rounded educaiton equipping the students to be able to be successful in future endeavors.

Posted October 23, 2013

Where do I begin? This school is such a big big blessing in our lives! My daughter went to preschool there for 2 years And now in kindergarten there as well! She is already Starting to read, write and spell! She is also Learning scripture and so much more! We are Honored to be part of such a wonderful place full of the most LOViNG staff I have ever seen! As my little girl says "mommy Roanoke Valley Christian School we can learn About Jesus and math at the same time" how cool is that?

Posted October 23, 2013

Our children enjoy RVCS very much. The teachers take a personal interest in each student and are available to help when needed. The emphasis is not just academic, but also biblical.

Posted October 23, 2013

I love our school because our teachers are so approachable and willing to do what it takes to help your child learn in the way that meets their individual needs. I love that the staff and faculty pray for our students.

Posted October 23, 2013

RVCS has great leadership in its principals. The student body is friendly and caring. The school provides extra resource help for students with special needs. While the academics are excellent, the spiritual life has the greatest focus, teaching the students to live Christ-like and honor God in everything they do.

Posted October 23, 2013

Great Christian school! Teachers are really interested in my children's physical and spiritual well being. Great academic challenge and the teachers urge my children to do their very best...as unto the Lord. Thank you for providing a biblical safe haven for my children to learn and make the most of who God wants them to be!

Posted October 23, 2013

RVCS is the greatest school in the valley. It is strong academically, socially and most of all spiritually. It has many things to offer and I am thankful our family is here!

Posted October 23, 2013

The staff at RVCS is exceptional. My children have mentally grown leaps and bounds under the direction of this highly dedicated staff. I can not say enough good things about them. Thank you!

Posted October 23, 2013

RVCS is a great school. The teachers are very caring and the staff is wonderful to work with. My daughter loves going to school here.

Posted October 21, 2013

I am writing in response to the review that follows this comment. As administrator of the school, I want to confirm that we have entrance tests, but we never turn a student away based on the results of the tests. The tests simply give us an idea as to where a student is in the areas of math and language arts. This is done for students enrolling in grades 1-6.

Posted June 19, 2013

Five stars .....not....... zero stars is more like it. I had children at RVCS for 10 years. I spent much effort in getting them to apply fruit of grace, mercy and forgiveness (since we all have fallen short of God's perfection). I finally left, with broken hearted children I might add. The lessons learned there were not reading, writing and arithmetic with the virtues of Christ to boot... but ridicule, wrath and angry retaliation for those that need agape love while learning how to reach a world for Christ. They shoot the wounded here and call it accountability... NO THANKS.

Posted December 6, 2012

I used to love this school when I was in the younger grades, I did well in school and had friends and the teachers seemed like they cared. But this school does have a pretty awful bullying problem. I have had to stand up for one of my close when I went there time and again because she was larger. The boys would put awful notes in her desk asking her to go out with her or the other and then make fun of her for believing it. It has damaged my friends and siblings' image of themselves as well as the way they treat other people. Though I had a great time with some of the teachers who really care and when it is brought to light, do something about this problem. Academics are very up and down, it really depends on the teacher you get for each subject if you do well or not. I did leave that school feeling prepared for whatever hit me, but I chalk that up to the teacher who taught and truly cared for me while I was there.

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation Liberty University
Virginia Western Community College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Dual Accreditation with ACSI and SACS (2012)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Rick Brown
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Liberty University
Virginia Western Community College
College preparation / awareness offered
Community college courses
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes