Ruckersville, VA

Posted October 04, 2014
RES is a wonderful school. I have two kids, one in Third grade and another in Kindergarten. We've had a good experience with this school. There are several programs to foster creativity, inspiration and critical thinking in every child. This school has a Gifted Program , a strong STEM program, Drama club, Journalism & Publishing club, Horizons academy to name a few. The rating I see on Greatschool does not do justice. Some recent achievements include: (1) The Destination Imagination team from RES topped in the district , went to state and all the way to Global finals in 2014 - a testament to creativity fostered here. (2) RES student won 1st place in Virginia Geography Fair in 2013. (3) Three student scholars were selected to present at Gettysburg to commemorate 150th anniversary of Gettysburg address. One of the speeches was so impressive that ancestry.com decided to put it on its website. The current Principal and the supporting staff are very energetic and responsible. Parent Teacher's Association (PTA) has a strong presence in this School and I urge every parent to be part of it.

Posted September 18, 2014
My school is Ruckersville Elementary School, and I have nothing but positive things to say! The school is a community of teachers, staff, parents, and administrators who want to see our children reach their fullest potential. Not only do they push our students to excel in the classroom, they are encouraged to find interests outside as well. With new after school clubs like art, drama, Lego, photography,(and many more) where our teachers give their personal time to run these clubs. I do believe the site hasn't been updated to reflect the current state of our testing. I believe this is the reason for the low rating. You would be hard pressed to find a parent at RES that would rate the school at a 3. If you are looking at moving to Greene Co. I encourage you to come to the school, have a tour, meet the principal teachers and staff before making a judgement. I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else!

Posted May 07, 2013
I Love! Love! Love this school! Every single adult my child encounters at this school from the Custodians to the Principals provide rich learning experiences. The teachers consistently go above and beyond and parents involvement is always welcome and encouraged, in fact the best PTA I have ever seen. So glad I did not listen my realtor when she tried to steer us toward the more expensive (but smaller) Ablemarle homes with cautionary tales of Greene Schools. (BTW, I have since learned that practice is illegal) Do yourself a favor and before you buy a home and go tour the school, and meet the Principals, Teachers, and PTA President.

Posted March 12, 2013
As a first time parent I could not be more pleased that we chose Greene County to raise our children. I have jumped in with both feet because I feel that ultimately the success of my child is my responsibility. Being in the school at least once a week has allowed me to see how dedicated the staff and faculty are. My daughter is in kindergarden and even though there are 24 kids in her class her teacher as complete control and each child is given adequate and appropriate time with her to learn what is required. I am very pleased with how she has advanced so far this year. I am also extremely impressed with the new principle. You never see him just sitting in his office, unless he is meeting with a parent or has a room full of students reading to them. He is always roaming the halls and interacting with the students. What I have come to find out very quickly is that RES is not just a school that does the minium for its students, it is a school that goes above and beyond what I feel is expected. If class sizes are too big it is our job as parents and community members to fight for proper funding to make our schools the best they can be.

Posted March 12, 2013
I have one child going to RES and the way his teachers challenge traditional old methods and impart creative new learning skills is absolutely amazing. I believe caring staff, motivated students and involving parents are key to a school's success and RES is in the right direction!!

Ruckersville Elementary School 3

Posted March 11, 2013
My daughter is in kindergarten at RES. I've spent a great deal of time in her classroom and working with the PTA. Good things: The employees I have come across so far seem dedicated and try hard (with one glaring exception) and the new principal seems like a step in the right direction. The PTA is full of dedicated people working hard to improve the school- they inspire me. Bad: The class size is too big. 25 kids is too many in a K room where many kids don't know their shapes or letters and some can already read. They break up the kids in groups based on ability... I've witnessed it being effective at times, but largely chaotic with a great deal of time wasted. Independent working is certainly important, but with that many kids in the classroom it's impossible to keep kids on task and just too much time messing around. The behavior expectations are low (I can see why). My daughter quickly learned that one needs to be repremanded several times before there are even the mildest consequences. With the large number of kids who have very little preparation entering K, I have concerns that it will be a long time before my daughter's class can get to new stuff for her to learn.

Ruckersville Elementary School 4

Posted November 11, 2012
I have two children at Ruckersville Elementary. I feel this school does not get the credit it is due. They have been through many principals some good some not so good. One thing is always constant the teachers care and work hard for your children. The current principal in very involved and I feel has the school on a good path. It is untrue that the advanced kids work by themselves. They do separate the kids into groups according to their abilities but each group gets equal time with the teacher. The other children work on their own. This is a skill they also need to learn. Maybe my only true complaint is that the class sizes are big. I feel the teachers handle this well. The school is welcoming to volunteers also the parents and PTA are strong and helpful. Over all this school is pretty good. Like with anything the more you put into something the more you get out. Be involved and support this school and you will be happy there.

Ruckersville Elementary School 2

Posted November 08, 2010
My child is in kindergarten and I feel the class size is unmanageable. Currently, there are 24 kids in the class and they are split into 3 groups based on ability. During math and one of the reading rotations, the highest performing group is placed at an independent table- meaning they are left to teach themselves. This just doesn't work for kindergarten children. This group does get a limited amount of time with the teacher, but in an 7 hour school day, a half hour a day doesn't seem adequate.

Ruckersville Elementary School 2

Posted August 25, 2009
There is limited feedback about your childs progress or behavior until its too late. Children's are placed in the classroom in groups of 5-6, which holds the smarter kids back due to increased distraction, and the teachers expectation for the smarter kid to have to help the not so smart kids. Teaching is strictly based on SOL expectations and not the abilities of the child which also holds the child back.

Ruckersville Elementary School 4

Posted July 21, 2009

Ruckersville Elementary School
105 Progress Place, Ruckersville, VA  22968
Last modified Ruckersville Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ruckersville Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top