No rating

Springfield Academy

Private | PK-3

Living in Springfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $370,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,640.

Sweep tile

Posted October 4, 2013

This school would be a complete failure if not for a handful of wonderful teachers, the weekly field trips during summer camp, and the swim lessons. I would love to be able to express my views to the management but the communication lines are so broken, you can not even send an email to the school. If you drop off early or pick up late, forget about talking to any primary teacher or management. Once your child is out of the phase of written reports, there is no way to know what is going on day to day. I would love to be able to tell the school about the horrible representation its new aids are representing in the community. I was witness to several of them in a local establishment speaking loudly about the teachers, staff, students, and parents. Only a few comments were kind. They were smoking, cursing, and speaking about the pregnancy status of various employees. The school boasts ZERO security and communication (barring the occasional note sent home) and only a handful of teachers express any enthusiasm. Unfortunately these negatives overcome any positive experiences and our family is currently seeking alternative arrangements.

Posted July 30, 2013

I'm really pleased with this school. My child has been going there for about 6 months now and I couldn't be happier. I love the diversity, I love it being Christian based, the tuition is affordable, & I love the curriculum. My child had been going to another school in the area and all she ever would come with were pictures. I understand arts and crafts but I'm also trying to get her prepared for kindergarten. How about some writing? Springfield does writing everyday, my child is now starting to write in cursive (which I understand is not largely being teached anymore), she has homework...I'm really pleased. I am glad she now has another teacher though b/c the other one in pre-school was really sweet, but she didn't seem to have a handle on the classroom. The kids were routinely loud when I came to pick up my child everyday. But from what I understand, there had just got a new teacher in there so take from this review what you will. I'm a first time parent and learning as I go but you can always tell by the stuff your kid talks to you about at the most random times.

Posted July 22, 2011

I have two school aged children enrolled in the summer camp program. Overall I happy with the care and program of Springfield Academy. A few things that could be better 1) bathrooms while girls and boys each have their own restrooms the bathrooms are open with no dividers. I understand this for preschool/younger children, but privacy would be appreciated for school aged 2) more organized games during recess. When I arrive during recess all of the caregivers are watching the kids, but I've yet to see any organized games going on and they have a large open shaded field to play on 3) menu - the choices overall are nutrition, but a few items could be better. 4) drive way. Nothing can be done if you have to turn left from Backlick, but the driveway has a few large pot holes. The staff and children appear happy and well cared for. The center is clean and bright. We are happy with the summer camp program, field trips, activities, value and teachers. If we require care next summer we'll be back.

Posted July 19, 2011

This is an update to my previous review "Warning! This is not a loving and nurturing environment" We finally heard back from the owner, he promisses to implement changes.

Posted May 13, 2011

My daughter has attended Springfield from the time she was about 13 months to 2.5 years old. The only reason why we are leaving is because we're moving to Florida. We wish we could take the school with us... The faculty and staff at Springfield Academy has been amazing. They very clearly love the kids and care about their well-being... you can't ask for much more than that.

Posted February 28, 2011

We are very pleased with this school. If you are a parent considering schools. This is one of the best. We looked around and around and we found this is the best place for our three young children to learn and grow. We feel particularly fortunate to have our children taught by such a professional and caring group. Come during the day and see for yourself!

Posted September 1, 2010

After 8 yrs at Springfield Academy, my son will be saying goodbye (but not permanently as he will return in the summer for camp)... We are truly grateful to the wonderful staff that have molded him into the fine boy he has become. He has received an outstanding education which can be seen with his remarkable grades. He has also received much love since infancy to the present. Thank you for all you have done for our son.

Posted September 1, 2010

I have had my child in this school for 6 years and I have been extremely happy with the care my child has recieved. The teachers are cheerful and very helpful. I can walk down the hall and teachers that are from different classes will great my child and ask how they are doing. It gives me a sense of family connection. The principal and administrator have always been friendly and very supportive. One year I was having financial difficulties due to a divorce. They not only were very helpful but they offered me prayer and listen when I need an ear. The academic program is wonderful. My child has excelled in public school with the strong phonic back ground. Thank you Springfield Academy!

Posted August 31, 2010

I Love this school!!! They have the most loving teachers and staff. Not tomention how much the children actually learn, My kindergartener can read at a 3rd grade level.

Posted August 31, 2010

Springfield Academy has been a blessing to my children and I. They have learned so much and they have had so many wonderful teachers. I thank God everyday that we chose to make the finiancial sacrifice and put our 3 children in this amazing school

Posted August 23, 2010

Excellent child care center and school. Our family has been provided some great years at Springfield Academy. As someone that has worked in the health care profession for many years, I can tell you that one of our critical skill sets is observation. My two children are very well adjusted at Springfield Academy and have accomplished much during their time at this developmental center. The educational program and love shown toward the children at this facility can not be overstated. As a nurse practitioner I am quite protective of our children and want the very best for them at this early age. We are very comfortable having our children there and are very happy with Springfield Academy. It is a fine program with fine people that care a lot about the children and that provide an enriching experience for those like us that need and require good quality child care.

Posted July 21, 2010

I entered my daughter into this school last year. They seemed to be pretty nice. I was desperate to get my daughter in somewhere ASAP as we just moved in the area. I had a gut feeling that something was wrong but I could just not put my finger on it. After a few weeks of attendance, I noticed how my daughter became very antsy about certain things. She would say "mommy, i need to bring this to school". If I don't I will get in trouble. After awhile I started to notice how strange her teacher was acting. It was all "smiles" and "excellence" but I knew something was just not right. To make a long story short, after speaking with other parents, and some of the "ex-workers" my gut feeling was confirmed. This place is the PITS!

Posted June 25, 2010

This reveiew is for the Jr. Kindergarten program. Excellent school with small class sizes and wonderful experienced teachers. The Jr. Kindergarten teachers have been teaching at Spfd Academy for 20+ years. They really know how to prepare the children for Kindergarten. They use the ABEKA curriculum and also devote time for teaching Life Skills: problem solving, using please/thank you, asking to be excused from the table, giving thanks, etc... The children are well-behaved and the teachers have control over the classroom. Parents must pay a rather large book fee - but it's totally worth it to know that your child is being motivated academically and the books are used from cover to cover. The room is very clean and bright and children thrive with clearly defined boundaries along with a loving and positive atmosphere. There are 2 jr. kindy rooms with 12 students in each.

Posted February 3, 2010

My daughter has attended Springfield Academy for a few years, and I could not be more pleased with her progress. She is 5 now and she is already reading children's books, writing in cursive, adding and subtracting. She is also learning many things about the bible (which pleases me). The school operates on the government schedule with before and aftercare from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm. They also offer Karate, Ballet, and Tap. They take field trips to the Library, celebrate holidays like Valentines, Halloween, and Christmas with parties, and they have a wonderful graduation ceremony at the end of the school year. The price is extremely competitive for a NOVA private school. My daughter's teacher has a Master's in Religious Studies and her class scores on standardized testing have been far above average for years. I am really happy with Springfield Academy.

Posted September 25, 2009

My daughters attended this school for 2 years and we absolutely love it!! Great academic curriculum, my daughters were reading little booklet fluently when they finished K-4 (Age 4), and do additions & subtractions. The staffs are all very friendly, they have a good balance on discipline. My kids love this school!! Their summer programs are the best around Fairfax county! They go swimming every week with certified lifeguards, and great fieldtrips every week. We highly recommend this school!!

Posted September 12, 2009

We love this school. It is the best investment we ever made. The education and staff are to notch. I highly reccomend this school for families with children of all ages

Posted September 10, 2009

We have 3 children who have gone through the Springfield Academy programs from infancy through Kindergarten, for the last 12 years now. We first chose the school because we knew some people who worked there, but we stayed because our kids were given great care and teaching there - at every level. Our oldest two are in upper elementary school and are well above grade level in reading and overall in academic skills. They are also leaders in their class and at school (now in public elem schools) in good part because they were given good structure in their classes in preschool. They entered first grade being able to read at the late first grade level, which is a HUGE advantage for kids. We would highly recommend this school to families!

Posted September 10, 2009

My daughter has attended Springfield Academy for several years and our family is very pleased with every aspect of the school. She always comes home happy and excited to tell us about her day. We highly recommend Springfield Academy to everyone.

Posted April 1, 2009

My husband really wanted a Christian based program so we picked Springfield Academy. (I just wanted a good school) My daughter started at Springfield Academy in the infant room. Aside from the fact that they were a little overboard on the Christian stuff, meaning they don't let the children celebrate Halloween or any other 'non-Christian' holiday, the care was horrid. The employees were a revolving door of caretakers. My infant daughter came home smelling of food and formula every day, as if they just left her in the bouncy chair all day with a bottle spilling all over her. They never took infants outside-- ever. They never seemed to feed her solids when it was time. She was always hungry. They were constantly understaffed, and my daughter was always sick-- very sick-- because they didn't seem to follow procedures to prevent spread of germs. I changed schools after 6 months!!!

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5236 Backlick Rd