Cardinal Forest Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 590 students

Student diversity

Posted Friday, August 22, 2014

Both of my children went to Cardinal Forest Elementary and are now successful students achieving all A's at Irving MS and West Springfield HS. The teachers are wonderful and the environment very supportive and collaborative. I am not sure why this school is only rated a 6 out of 10 and wanted to relay our positive experience, especially with the teachers and band teacher at this school!

Posted June 25, 2014

This school is not one of the best schools in Fairfax county, when I was in 1st grade back in 2007 My first grade would treat me poorly, she would'nt bother to pay any attention to me. she always got me trouble, So then we moved to herndon And I attended Clearview and that is a really good school I actually won a presidential award just on friday from clearview.

Posted December 13, 2013

Principal Karen McKenna just does not make the grade. Unless there are changes, avoid this school like the plague. The school's academic, social and community image have declined over the past four years since November 2009. Looking at the school's AYP in 2011, the last year it reported under No Child Left Behind, tells the same same mediocre story that you read in a number of these reviews. Historically, this Principal likes to hold out the high FCPS SOL scores as a mark of her achievement. These indicators for core Math and English curriculum were largely a factor of the highly educated West Springfield parents and the income. However, if you take a look at the income and population shift, you see a decline. Principal Mckenna, we challenge you, as concerned parents, to show some real thought leadership and reach across the aisle to groups that are not like you to find solutions to your school's almost 5 year decline. The message fell on deaf ears almost 5 years ago. -signed, Vindicated

Posted May 12, 2013

This is an update to my earlier 5/7/13 review: My daughter has not been at Keene Mill for a year. The difference between an competent administration and an excellent administration has made itself apparent over the last year. There is nothing wrong with Cardinal Forest, per say, I think they respond the way any average administration would respond to problems. The only issue there is that FCPS parents tend to not be an average parent population, particularly those who move to this area specifically for the schools. Also- parent comunication and lack of control in the classroom sounds like a problem to me, and is one of the main reasons I did not want my child in a mixed grade class. There are enough issues with a mixed grade class that I wouldn't want to worry about that issue on top of it all. Had anyone called me back at the time, I could've communicated that. I did not ultimately want to swich schools, I don't think that kind of change is good for kids all the time, but now that I've had some time to see what it's like elsewhere, Cardinal Forest is still rating as just an average school with an average administration.

Posted May 7, 2013

I truly enjoy Cardinal Forest. I have kids at 3 different schools in the Springfield area and this is the best one. The school is bright, the principle very visible and the communication strong. Overall the teachers are better than expected. I have only had 1 teacher do far that I struggled with. Even with that, she was not mean or unreasonable with the children. She seemed to struggle with parent communication and some classroom control. I am part of the 1/2 class mentioned in another review and I am not having any issues. The teachers are strong enough and the kids are moving at or above grade level. I was concerned at first but after giving it a chance I am pleased.

Posted January 1, 2013

Everything is fine until it isn't. Then you can't get anyone to even call you back. The lack of responsiveness caused us to transfer my daughter to another school. My daughter, an excellent student, was selected for a mixed first/second grade class. I heard great things about the teacher but was still concerned that being with first graders would hold my daughter back. There was a community meeting for parents, and based on what the principal said, there was no comfort given that they even had thought about the issues with this kind of class, much less thought about how to address them. My daughter was singled out because she is an easy student, which is not fair for her. When I called to talk to the principal to express my strong concerns with this situation and ask questions, the secretary said she would call me back. Three phone calls later, still no response. We had to switch her to another school because I was so worried that she would be in a less than optimal situation and I couldn't get anyone responsive at all. Total nightmare.

Posted April 5, 2009

Our son's second grade teacher is very involved and proactive. She helped identify the areas we needed to work with our son because his Alabama first grade experience was well behind Virginia standards. We find the school administration and staff very professional and pleasant to deal with.

Posted November 22, 2008

My son is in kindergarten at Cardinal Forest. Our experience has been great so far. The teachers have done well dealing with discipline problems and the curriculum seems challenging and interesting. My only concern with the school is the overcrowding. My son's kindergarten class has 27 children in it. His teacher is very experienced and is making the best of it, but it makes the environment harder.

Posted September 25, 2008

I have two children and both transferred out. The Principal is terrible to deal with and while they certainly have some quality teaching professionals, others are lacking. This use to be a top school, but it has fallen off as evidenced by them being on the list of Fairfax County Schools not making the grade. This school underperforms!

Posted June 26, 2008

My son attented kindergarten and had wonderful experiance, what a great staff at cardinal forest

Posted April 23, 2008

The principal sets the tone for the school. Mrs. Kenna is the best! She is a fantastic principal. Our child's teacher is great!

Posted July 20, 2007

I had 2 children at Cardinal Forrest (2006-07). One in 6th grade and one in 2nd. It was our first year at the school. As we were coming from abroad I was worried that they might be behind the Fairfax County schools. I home schooled for about a month in the summer to prepare them. My 6th grader regressed in math. It turns out they learned more during the summer than they did all year at school. Thankfully I am able to stay on top of things at home. I feel for the parents that both work full time. My 6th grader graduates out and I have transferred out my 2nd grader. The experience is enough to make me want to home school.

Posted June 28, 2007

I love the school, my daughter is in 2nd grade(2007-2008). the teachers, and reading buddies have helped my daughter to develope good reading habit.

Posted April 10, 2006

I love this school. My daughter is currently in 1st grade (2005-06) and so far it's been a great experience. The teachers are fabulous and the academic programs great, both during the regular school day and the before/after-school programs. There's a very active PTA and lots of parent involvement. The school recently hosted Heritage Night to celebrate the many cultures and nationalities represented in our school. They've also hosted events such as Math & Science Night, Partners in Print, Economics Night, Patriotic Night, and more. The SACC program is wonderful. I was very nervous about putting my daughter in a county-run before and after school program, but they really do a great job with it. My daughter loves it and has made some good friendships outside the classroom. The West Springfield community is great too -- very much a small community feel in massive Fairfax County. I'm not going anywhere.

Posted April 29, 2005

My daughter has been a student at Cardinal Forest for 3 years now. She had many difficulties as she had ADHD and instead of just thinking she was a problem child, they worked with me until we were able to get her the testing that was required to diagnose her and worked really well with me to make sure she progressed in her studies as well as got taken care of for the needs that she had. They even tested her on other levels to make sure we caught everything and that we could move forward with a sucessful academic career. I thank them for all their hard work and effore and I wouldn't change schools for anything unless I move out of the state.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

52 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students65%

Students without disabilities86%
Limited English proficient students95%
Proficient in English74%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students70%

Students identified as economically disadvantaged81%
Not economically disadvantaged86%
Limited English proficient students73%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Not economically disadvantagedn/a
Students without disabilitiesn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8600 Forrester Blvd