Springfield, VA

Posted April 28, 2015
I wish I can give it a zero. The principal does NOT care about students. The teachers are either young and have no experience or they are getting ready to retire and don't care any more. If your child has a problem at school they will not call you and if you have any issues good luck getting anything resolved. This place is a joke if you can put your child in another school please do!

Posted August 22, 2014
Both of my children went to Cardinal Forest Elementary and are now successful students achieving all A's at Irving MS and West Springfield HS. The teachers are wonderful and the environment very supportive and collaborative. I am not sure why this school is only rated a 6 out of 10 and wanted to relay our positive experience, especially with the teachers and band teacher at this school!

Posted June 25, 2014
This school is not one of the best schools in Fairfax county, when I was in 1st grade back in 2007 My first grade would treat me poorly, she would'nt bother to pay any attention to me. she always got me trouble, So then we moved to herndon And I attended Clearview and that is a really good school I actually won a presidential award just on friday from clearview.

Posted December 13, 2013
Principal Karen McKenna just does not make the grade. Unless there are changes, avoid this school like the plague. The school's academic, social and community image have declined over the past four years since November 2009. Looking at the school's AYP in 2011, the last year it reported under No Child Left Behind, tells the same same mediocre story that you read in a number of these reviews. Historically, this Principal likes to hold out the high FCPS SOL scores as a mark of her achievement. These indicators for core Math and English curriculum were largely a factor of the highly educated West Springfield parents and the income. However, if you take a look at the income and population shift, you see a decline. Principal Mckenna, we challenge you, as concerned parents, to show some real thought leadership and reach across the aisle to groups that are not like you to find solutions to your school's almost 5 year decline. The message fell on deaf ears almost 5 years ago. -signed, Vindicated

Cardinal Forest Elementary School 3

Posted May 12, 2013
This is an update to my earlier 5/7/13 review: My daughter has not been at Keene Mill for a year. The difference between an competent administration and an excellent administration has made itself apparent over the last year. There is nothing wrong with Cardinal Forest, per say, I think they respond the way any average administration would respond to problems. The only issue there is that FCPS parents tend to not be an average parent population, particularly those who move to this area specifically for the schools. Also- parent comunication and lack of control in the classroom sounds like a problem to me, and is one of the main reasons I did not want my child in a mixed grade class. There are enough issues with a mixed grade class that I wouldn't want to worry about that issue on top of it all. Had anyone called me back at the time, I could've communicated that. I did not ultimately want to swich schools, I don't think that kind of change is good for kids all the time, but now that I've had some time to see what it's like elsewhere, Cardinal Forest is still rating as just an average school with an average administration.

Posted May 07, 2013
I truly enjoy Cardinal Forest. I have kids at 3 different schools in the Springfield area and this is the best one. The school is bright, the principle very visible and the communication strong. Overall the teachers are better than expected. I have only had 1 teacher do far that I struggled with. Even with that, she was not mean or unreasonable with the children. She seemed to struggle with parent communication and some classroom control. I am part of the 1/2 class mentioned in another review and I am not having any issues. The teachers are strong enough and the kids are moving at or above grade level. I was concerned at first but after giving it a chance I am pleased.

Cardinal Forest Elementary School 2

Posted January 01, 2013
Everything is fine until it isn't. Then you can't get anyone to even call you back. The lack of responsiveness caused us to transfer my daughter to another school. My daughter, an excellent student, was selected for a mixed first/second grade class. I heard great things about the teacher but was still concerned that being with first graders would hold my daughter back. There was a community meeting for parents, and based on what the principal said, there was no comfort given that they even had thought about the issues with this kind of class, much less thought about how to address them. My daughter was singled out because she is an easy student, which is not fair for her. When I called to talk to the principal to express my strong concerns with this situation and ask questions, the secretary said she would call me back. Three phone calls later, still no response. We had to switch her to another school because I was so worried that she would be in a less than optimal situation and I couldn't get anyone responsive at all. Total nightmare.

Posted April 05, 2009
Our son's second grade teacher is very involved and proactive. She helped identify the areas we needed to work with our son because his Alabama first grade experience was well behind Virginia standards. We find the school administration and staff very professional and pleasant to deal with.

Cardinal Forest Elementary School 4

Posted November 22, 2008
My son is in kindergarten at Cardinal Forest. Our experience has been great so far. The teachers have done well dealing with discipline problems and the curriculum seems challenging and interesting. My only concern with the school is the overcrowding. My son's kindergarten class has 27 children in it. His teacher is very experienced and is making the best of it, but it makes the environment harder.

Cardinal Forest Elementary School

Posted September 25, 2008
I have two children and both transferred out. The Principal is terrible to deal with and while they certainly have some quality teaching professionals, others are lacking. This use to be a top school, but it has fallen off as evidenced by them being on the list of Fairfax County Schools not making the grade. This school underperforms!

Cardinal Forest Elementary School
8600 Forrester Blvd, Springfield, VA  22152
Last modified Cardinal Forest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cardinal Forest Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top