Keene Mill Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 725 students

We seek to empower today's learners to become tomorrow's leaders!

Posted September 25, 2014

Please don't believe the stellar reviews of this school. Several of these were made by the school staff themselves in order to overcome the negative ones. This school isn't as great as is portrayed and I've worked here before as a substitute teacher and now have kids attending here.

Posted June 16, 2014

Keene Mill is an excellent school where I fully trust that the teachers and administration are advocates for my children and work with parents as a team. We have had wonderful teachers in both community and AAP classes. My children have been challenged and enjoy school, as well as the PTA after-school activities and events. The school is getting ready to undergo a major, much-needed renovation that may unfortunately impact some of the activities, but should also address many of the HVAC issues and modernize the 50+ year-old school. We are very happy with Keene Mill ES and proud to be part of the Kanga community.

Posted May 16, 2014

This school is just ok. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I have a child in the AAP program, and while she has done well here, we have never really fallen in love with the school. We have another child at a neighboring school and although greatschools.org gives Keene Mill a 10, we like the other school a whole lot more. The school itself is very old and rundown. The AC and heat often seems to be out of order. The teachers are decent, but I think that's true of most FCPS teachers. The younger students are made to walk with their hands behind their backs and holding their breath. It almost feels a little like a prison to see. The principal has been open about trying to win a health award through the county, but it comes at the cost of fun things such as bringing in birthday treats. The school does not feel at all like a community, probably because kids are coming from neighborhoods all over town. Like I said, my child has done well here, but I feel she would have been fine at any of the nearby schools.

Posted May 13, 2014

This school is fine and I am glad my son is here but he would have done fine anywhere. I love the email communication this school has regarding events going on but after three years here I don't really feel part of the school. My son is in the AAP which he loves but I don't think they allow very much flexibility to the teachers. I think the AAP program should be renamed the advanced math and vocabulary program. My son does well but I don't think the program has done much to develop his skills as a creative writer or thinker. That being said I have loved most of the teachers and I love that no kids run under the radar in AAP. I am especially glad that some of the teachers have focused less on busy work homework as they have gone to higher grades. Overall I am glad I sent my son to the school and program but I won't miss it when he moves on.

Posted August 27, 2013

This school has AAP (gifted) programs, so scores may be a bit inflated. I would be fair to know the scores of AAP and the Community independently.

Posted May 8, 2013

Keene Mill deserves a 20 out of 10! It is an outstanding school and my family feels fortunate that our children can participate in a school of this caliber. The academics are stellar! The administrators are open to new ideas, and the school just had a fabulous Innovation Fair! I strongly disagree with the previous review. Who would want kids to play tag on the playground where they could be injured or eat food that someone might have prepared in an unsanitary kitchen? I think the school wants nutrition facts for food allergies. I also disagree about communication, as the principal sends out a weekly email to parents and the PTA sends flyers in the Thursday folder each week. All of our children's teachers have been supportive and caring and made the effort to teach our children what they need to know at an appropriate pace. I can't say enough positive things about Keene Mill!

Posted May 8, 2013

Keene Mill is ranked #12 out of 1060 schools in Virginia on schooldigger.com and was selected as one of the top elementary schools by Northern Virginia Magazine! Way to go, Keene Mill, for earning a well deserved 10 out of 10 from Great Schools! Keene Mill has much to celebrate, but most of all, we celebrate our enthusiastic students, supportive parents, and wonderful colleagues. We are truly a community of learners!

Posted May 7, 2013

This school is okay. People love it but I think it is okay. There are a lot of nonsense rules, like no tag on the playground and no home cooked items are allowed in school because everything must come with a list of ingredients. My son is in the AP program and struggles with the huge transition. Although they constantly talk about the transition 3rd grade holds for the AP kids, they don't seem to do anything to help the kids with it. They throw work at the kids thinking they will get it because they scored high on a standard test. Kids still need to be taught multiplication. It is a basic skill that is skipped in the AP program. Also kids need to be taught how to write a paragraph, even smart kids need to learn these skills. Overall not excited about the school or the program. The PTA communication is poor and frequently I don't know what is happening in the school until the day before it is happening. I am disappointed overall and I do not think this school deserves a 10 out of 10

Posted October 22, 2012

Our kids are having a great experience in this school. Keene Mill is a great school. The new Principal and assistant principal have brought a big improvement to the school, not just the GT/AAP but the community based school as well. We are happy to see the rating go up to 10 which is a true reflection of the changes. The Principal really cares about parents, teachers, and the students. I have not seen gossips and bad politics in this school. Everyone is treated fairly, and it is not cliquish as some other schools in the neighborhood. The Principal is engaging, open minded and receptive to ideas. Teachers are great, trying to help the students all the time. The front office is very welcoming. These are the quality that we look for in a school, and this school has it all.

Posted June 7, 2012

Keene Mill is an outstanding school! The new principal and AP are dynamic leaders and have brought many positive changes to the school this year. In addtion to the new Smartboards, my children love the pep rallies, the new kangaroo mascot, and Kanga cash rewards that the whole school earns. The staff and students are happy, the school is cleaner than I have ever seen it, and the overall atmosphere is positive and engaging. All of my children have had excellent teachers, and the teachers are really working together this year to provide the right level of challenge for each of the students. The teachers also have done a terrific job helping my children grasp concepts. The PTA president has worked hard to revive our PTA and to get parents involved in the school again. I am so pleased that my children get to attend a wonderful school like Keene Mill!

Posted February 20, 2012

Keene mill school is the best when it comes to learning. The principal, A.P. and staff are great. Kids are very smart and talented here. If you have a child wants him/her to do well in school and future education for your child, this is THE school you want to start your child!

Posted November 10, 2011

With the new administration, Keene Mill going through some good changes inside and out. The principal and the assistant principal are on top of things and of character. They genuinely care about the staff, students, and parents.

Posted April 8, 2011

I agree that the admin. needs an update. For the 1st 1/2 of the school year, I never saw the principal. I have seen him a total of 5 times in the last 2 months. My child is part of the GT/ APP program and I feel that the education is fantastic at K.M. I wish my other child could have such a great education. However, I do feel that the GT/ AAP program gets blamed for a lot. This parents/students are lucky to have the GT/AAP kids if it did not the school would be in the dump. The SES in the area is poor. There is a high number of free lunch/ breakfast programs. And the PTA is mostly funded by the GT/AAP participation. The classroom sizes have been restructured and are much smaller. Some classes have 18-20 students. However, I do think the school needs an EXTREME MAKEOVER.

Posted September 28, 2010

I definitely think it is time for a change in leadership at Keene Mill. The student to teacher ration is very high and the principal shows a lack of concern for the challenges faced by students in the classroom (bullying and high volume of ESL).

Posted May 19, 2010

My first grade son is having a much better experience this year, as he has grown/matured. However, his teacher has had a tremendous impact on his learning. She is newly out of college, relates well to the children, and handles their varying energy levels with ease. My son is quite active and, as he made the transition to first grade, needed alternatives to desk work. After consulting with his teacher, she varied his work and surroundings so that he never became bored. As a result, his reading and communication skills have soared. I attribute much of his success to his teacher's open mind and not giving way to prejudgements. Additionally, my son enjoys the SACC program. There is consistency in the teachers, they are conscientious and provide a variety of activities throughout the year. Lastly, the PTA recently requested more parental involvement for next year, which I plan to.

Posted May 6, 2010

I feel like my child suffered at this school as most of the attention goes to GT, Special Ed and ESL. Teachers are overwhelmed by the ever-changing ESL population which takes the attention away from others.

Posted August 7, 2009

The Principal does not maintain much communication with parents and the teachers don't seem as engaged as in years past. Neither our child, or us felt that this past school year was a good one for learning. There are many good teachers there, but the school seems to be slipping some compared to years past.

Posted March 6, 2009

education is below the standard, principal is not interested in making a change.

Posted November 9, 2008

Keene Mill is a great school, I just don't like their SACC program. My daughter tells me that when the children act up, everyone is punished. She thinks that it is unfair and so do I. We would like new rules established for SACC and nicer, better teachers. Overall, I like Keene Mill.

Posted July 31, 2008

I have two daughters that just completed kindergarten and the other 1 and 2 grades at this school. The new principle, Mr. Rousos is excellent! I have no complaints about the teachers my girls have had and the front office staff is very nice and helpful. Parent involvement is great...love this school!

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

108 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

All Students84%

Not economically disadvantaged96%
Limited English proficient students100%
Proficient in English96%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students94%

Students with disabilities92%
Students without disabilities98%
Limited English proficient students85%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Virginia Board of Education Excellence Award (2014)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Pennies for Patients (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 9:10 am
School end time
  • 3:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:15 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • Ms. Renee C. Miller
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
Transportation options
  • Kiss and Ride
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Elite Martial Arts

• Orchestra
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Irving Middle School