Kings Park Elementary School

Public | K-3 | 671 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted March 20, 2014

We love Kings Park. Many teachers are doing a fabulous job: PE and music teachers work very hard to entertain us every year with wonderful musical/dancing informances . My child is in 3rd grade now, she has an excellent teacher who is not only teaching them academics, but values and nurtures kids with her love to nature and life. School principal and assistant principal are an incredible women- they both have kids themselves and can really relate to any parent. We are an average middle class family, but we never felt neglected or mistreated in any sense. Great school, great team of specialists, who work very hard.

Posted March 11, 2014

Kings Park Elementary School has been fantastic for our family! My son has high functioning autism and has been in the general ed classrooms with support from K thru 2nd grade currently. He has grown so much and has blossomed under both the general education and special education support!! My daughter is in K this year and she loves it!! She is a very sensitive child, and yet she is always being encouraged and motivated by her teacher, instead of being left to feel sad or discouraged. Both of my children and I LOVE Kings Park! Great school!!

Posted February 5, 2014

They try to do their best. Local Screening chairperson is a little hard to deal with. For me scheduling is an issue for my son, however I can't make their scheduled meetings to due having classes Monday thru Thursday but my husband can make it and his Grandmother can make it; they can't budge. I don't want him to fall through the cracks. This is about my son, he is having difficulty reading and has been in child find before however he doesn't seem to be progressing the way he should. All of his nuclear family, we are reading together, we associate objects, textual, pictures and go to museums; in order to project the words in his mind and then we discuss it. Same goes with Math, social studies/ communication and volunteering so he can familiarize himself with other cultures and how to conduct himself. And that includes playdates, groups and going the Doctor and other places that may make him feel something. Reading , writing and social skills he is having a tough time and I don't know what to do. Kindergarten was hard and the his teacher wasn't any help but his First grade teacher is awesome and actually cares.

Posted July 4, 2012

We moved from out of state and my son started first grade at Kings Park. I can't express how grateful I am for this school and in particular Mrs. Ross who really lit a spark in my son. He loves to learn and he loves going to school. At dinner, he would impress us with things he had learned that day. Mrs. Ross was kind but firm; was organized, a good communicator, and my son knew what the expectations were. I am a teacher in another district and I can tell you that this school - especially Mrs. Ross - is top notch.

Posted May 18, 2012

I'm not sure in which class the previous parent has a child, but I can say I have a child in Kings Park now (2nd grade) and she LOVES her teacher. Her teacher always returns my emails and or phone calls within 24 hours. Her teacher really seems to enjoy her job and always has a smile on her face. This year has been better than last year, but all in all I think the staff at Kings Park has been great to my children. Hopefully your child will have my child's teacher next year.

Posted May 15, 2012

When we moved back to Virginia I was pleased that my son would be going to Kings Park Elementary because we heard nothing but great things. Well I have to say that is not the case anymore. They have had so many changes in the past two years it should be considered unacceptable. They have had two principles, three assistant principles, several teachers changing to perform other jobs in the school or just outright leaving. There is no continuity of care taking place whatsoever and my sons teacher this year is by far the worst I have ever seen. I am a teacher myself and have never seen someone so hateful around children. It makes you question why they chose to work with kids in the first place. You have to hunt them down just to ask a question and not really get an answer. Now I should say that I am sure that not all the staff is this way but a good majority are and it is sad to think that these are the role models that our children look up to. I am hoping for a better year this fall but am not counting on it. I understand this is the my opinion but I want my child to feel that he can express himself and that his future can be what he chooses not what someone tells him it has to be.

Posted December 3, 2010

We moved here recently from out of state and was hesitant to send my kids to such an 'old' school. Our previous one was new and seemed more modern in their teaching techniques, classroom environment, teaching tools, etc. HOWEVER, my kids have had a great year thus far, and the teachers are AWESOME (we have Ms. O'Neal and Ms. Valcour) Top Notch! They take the time to teach my kids and the atmosphere is positive and fun! The staff had been friendly and helpful. The events are community and family centered. Communication is the best I've seen. Way to go Kings Park!!!

Posted September 14, 2010

A save enviroment for all the kids, the academic program helps all the students to be better in all the aspects

Posted September 11, 2010

Another great start to the school year. I sent my first grader and Kindergartner off to school this past week and am already overwhelmed by the wonderful staff and administration. The front office staff is nothing but professional and the principal and vice principal are top notch, so naturally, it follows that the teachers are also amazing! So thrilled to be here.

Posted May 25, 2010

In the past few years, my child has had one good teacher. When I say good I mean a clear communicator, willingness to teach multiple types of learners, dedicated to the curriculum, encouraging of parental support, and overall accepting of help. However she left! As our children grow each one is different and we can not force our children in to certain criteria, for the ease of our teachers, the budget, or the administration. I understand that money is a huge issue, however, fairfax county is one of the richest counties in the country. Our children deserve a free and appropriate education according to law, under any circumstances. I ask, is your child getting what she or he requires?

Posted May 15, 2010

My first experience with this school was the office staff. One person in particular, but once I got over her and knew that my child would not be dealing with her, I have been nothing but 100% completely satisfied. Try not to judge this school by the office staff, as I did. My son's teacher, Mrs. Beavers has been absolutely WONDERFUL!!! I can only hope my youngest son gets her. My goal for my son was to learn to read while in Kindergarten. I made her aware of my goals for him. Within 2 months my son WAS A READER!!! I don't mean Jack and Jill stuff either. Highly recommend this school!

Posted May 2, 2010

Great school with great leaderhip. KP is only getting better.

Posted April 27, 2010

I heel my child's education is suffering. The overall atmosphere at the school is horrid. Now it seems that the teachers are unable to teach everything that is supposed to be taught in the class so they are sending it home. An entire unit has been sent home since it can not be taught at school. I spend a tremendous amount of time working with my daughter on home work and projects but now I am homeschooling my daughter while she is enrolled in a public school.

Posted April 27, 2010

I have to respond to the comments of the previous parent about her daughter's unhappines and the ignorant inexperienced teacher. For anyone who has familiarized themselves with the FFX County education budget, it is clear that the majority of teachers and staff are overwhelmed due to increased class sizes, pay freezes, reduced resources and on and on. I'd venture to say that this person's daughter is feeding off of her mother's negative attitude toward the school. I have never had any issues with the administration at KP and think to the contrary that Mrs. Skerker and Mrs. Passentino are doing a phenominal job at turning this school around. I'm sorry about the experience that your daughter is having but maybe if you changed your attitude toward the school, she would too.

Posted March 26, 2010

I am totally dissatisfied with my daughter`s teacher attitude and absence of attention to parents` comments and concerns. She is absolutely ignorant, indifferent. My daughter does not like this school at all and keeps talking about her previous one (in Arlington) all the time.

Posted March 24, 2010

I would like to give Kings Park a big 'Hi Five' for greating such a wonderful learning enviroment for my son who is in first grade there. He had a rough first half of the year and all his teachers and the Admin staff were there to support him and now he is thriving! The communication for us has been exceptional with all his teachers and other staff. My son loves school and developing a love for learning is the most important thing early on...not the glimmer and glamer of special programs that other schools may offer (he spents his Kindergarten year at another FC school that had great after school activities and top test scores and hated it). The teachers and staff work so hard at KP. Are they perfect...no, but they strive to be.

Posted May 27, 2009

We have two children at Kings Park and we couldn't be more pleased with this school. The teachers, principal and staff are all top notch. The assistant principal, Mrs. Passentino, makes everyone feel at home with her cheerful manner and cute sense of humor. This school's atmosphere is positive, the activities are creative and our children are just thriving at KP!

Posted May 1, 2009

We had a good feeling about Kings Park the first time we walked down the lane and observed how manicured and cleanly the facility was cared for. Over the years our first impression has grown into a deep respect. Our children are loved and our expectations are consistently exceeded. In every one of the six classrooms of which we ve been a part, the teachers are experienced and excited about teaching. We ve never requested a particular classroom because there are no teachers to avoid they re all awesome! Our children also absolutely love the art, music, media, and physical education teachers. Even the librarians and lunch ladies greet children by name with a smile. Each of our children is very different in personality and learning style. They are accepted as individuals and challenged to meet their own potential. I ve repeatedly witnessed teachers going the extra mile to encourage and motivate the children both educationally and developmentally. They really care about the children and it shows. The children are not pressured to compete and perform for testing. The emphasis is on learning and the school motto of respect, responsibility, honesty and caring . The PTA is vibrant. I d love to see the tally of volunteer hours logged because parents are involved in every aspect of the classrooms and school all day long. Field trips are sometimes at a 1:2 ratio of parents to students, with extra parents following the school buses to the museums. While Kings Park is an older established neighborhood and some parents themselves attended school here, we were warmly welcomed into the community as newcommers. The extracurricular opportunities in art and language, combined with the fun and educational family nights, add to the well-rounded community experience of Kings Park. Mrs. Skerker and Mrs. Passentino, now in their second year as principal and vice principal, listen to the parents, are constantly involved with and know the children, and orchestrate the community beautifully. It is a huge disservice to mis-characterize this wonderful school based on the unhappiness of two members out of a staff of 103.The front office staff is always helpful and efficient. Although a couple are less then cheerful, I ve never witnessed anything unprofessional.

Posted March 11, 2009

While everyone is concerned about the 'kindness' of the front office staff, my concern has always been about the education and my child is receiving. I have had no issues with the office staff myself. I have seen great communication between my son, his teacher, and myself this school year. Parents must take a responsibility with involvement in their child's education. The staff in King's Park allow for the parents to be involved though volunteering, email/phone calls with teachers, and as-needed conferences. I am very pleased with my son's education at KP, and we are sad to have to leave.

Posted January 10, 2009

While I feel that the school itself is above average- the education my children get it good and the children are excited to be there- the office staff is still unpleasent. I feel while they do help you, it is definately met with scrutiny and glances over the shoulders. I do not like going to the office at all, and I am very imvolved in my children's education- attending any parent child activities possible and special events. The attitude that I get from the office staff is highly unprofessional.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

118 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

Students without disabilities97%
Limited English proficient students95%
Proficient in English95%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5400 Harrow Way