Lee High School

Public | 9-12 | 1749 students

Great diversity, caring faculty and staff, beautiful campus

Student diversity

Posted July 2, 2014

I was very disappointed in this school, that my son attended for his sophomore year. They don't enforce the dress code or the behavior code. It was very difficult and sometimes took several days to contact the counselor and some teachers. I was also disappointed in the band program.

Posted January 13, 2014

I am glad we have a good communication with staff, and teachers. It is important to allow freshmen to begin the independent study, and work load without parent and teachers reminders.

Posted December 15, 2013

Lee High School's educators are absolutely tops. We have a freshman and sophomore attending and we find that all of their educators from counselors to teachers are deeply invested in preparing our girls for college. The staff avails itself of technology to provide us timely information and feedback on all academic issues and this allows us to do our parts as parents. Equally important they make themselves routinely available through Lancer Time and after school to review challenging course material. We appreciate them all. comprehend the material. The educators are making numerous sacrifices to tur

Posted November 27, 2013

My daughter goes to Lee High School. She is getting an excellent education through the AB program. The principal is excellent and the class sizes are small. The teachers work hard and are very responsive. Good school overall. I give it an A.

Posted November 22, 2013

Lee High School is an incredible place to work! Filled with caring faculty, staff and students, Lee is a welcoming learning environment focused on our vision of graduating students to be successful in whatever follows their high school years. We challenge our students with rigorous coursework, build strong positive relationships, and are continually looking for ways to make our content relevant to the lives of our students. We are a school of great diversity with over 25 spoken languages and our students hail from over 60 countries. I've worked in nine high schools over my twenty one year career and none have been as great to work in as Lee. LEE HIGH SCHOOL s VISION: Our students will graduate prepared for success by mastering challenging and rigorous curricula. Our students will participate in clubs, sports, and/or fine and performing arts programs. Our students will build strong positive relationships with the staff and each other. Our students will demonstrate critical thinking skills, creativity, an ability to collaborate, and will take responsibility for their own decisions. Our students will develop actionable and achievable goals.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 22, 2013

Lee is great school where all students are encouraged to reach their potential. Because it is a relatively small school students receive as much personal attention as they need. I have a current senior and another student who graduated and is currently in college. Both have had excellent teachers and challenging curriculum through their IB classes. My current student is taking a Geospatial Analysis class that will give her college credit at James Madison University. My son in college was accepted to his first choice school and found that his IB classes were great preparation for college classes. As a smaller school students have more opportunities to shine and most who want to can find a sport in which to participate. With a wide variety of clubs, students are likely to find their niche and be as involved as they want. I feel my children are well prepared to be citizens in our increasingly diverse society because they have gone to school with students who have a wide variety of ethnic, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.

Posted August 15, 2013

I actually go to this school and I can say that its quite awesome. Compared to other schools the teachers are good, and the environment even better. Instead of learning for 7 1/2 hours a day we have lancer time which actually helps me academically and phsyically. I love my school.

Posted July 23, 2013

I have had once daughter graduate in 2012 and another that will graduate in s 2014. I haved loved this school. I moved hear from PA and saw the ratings but read the parent comments. My girls have flourished in this school. The teachers genuinely care about the students and seem to want to be there. The IB program is great - BEST ENGLISH and HISTORY teachers I have ever seen. It is small enough that a child has a great chance of making a sports team than at some of the other high schools in the area! Parents are very involved and kids as well behaved as can be expected for high school students who think they are almost adults!!!

Posted December 4, 2012

Better than it's rating. Had a great experience. Both kids well prepared for college. One did IB Diploma (1 year college credit) and other did partial IB program earned 2 college classes. Better opportunities (compared to other schools) for interested & not privately coached athletes to participate in sports. Excellent SGA Leadership Program where the students organize & run school activities. Outstanding English Department. Smaller school. Excellent teachers.

Posted March 9, 2012

Just a flat out terrible school. I would not recommend anyone to send their child here. We have experienced inadequate staffing, prejudice and an utter lack of spirit.The administration as a whole needs to be replaced. We are emotionally drained and are seriously contemplating transferring our child out of this misery.

Posted November 3, 2011

I was informed that discinplinary action had been bestowed by a student prior to any type of investigation of the situation at hand. Staff informed a student what his disciplinary action was going to be before the student was questioned or told by the administration staff. It leaves a feeling that some students may be prejudged without even knowing the full story. Does not appear to be fair to all students.

Posted May 3, 2010

All three of my kids graduated from Lee, have now graduated from great colleges (USNA, JMU, W&M) and have fond memories of their time at Lee. They were able to participate in sports, student government and the IB Program. As a parent I found it to be a great experience with an involved PTSA program, great teachers and great kids. Your kids will get a great education and have wonderful memories of high school if they go to Lee!

Posted April 30, 2010

Lee High School is an excellent school. I am so happy with the weekly updates that I get from my daughter's teachers in her progress. They are very attentive to all my questions and are genuinely concerned. My daughter has become more responsible and has an understanding of how important school and her education in the future is. I would definitely recommend Lee High School. :)

Posted April 30, 2010

Lee High School has been incredible for both my children. The teachers are dedicated to not only their profession but to the youth they teach and their parents and they love their subjects they teach. Counselors look at the 'whole' child and work with parents to 'see' the kids they way they need to be seen. The extra curricular activities are top of the line (sports, drama, etc) and I have appreciated that above all, the coaches or faculty that have run these programs have made grades a priority---makes my job as a mom so much easier. I can't thank Lee and everyone who works, volunteers and attends. My daughter was successful in getting into her #1 college of choice and that was all due to the support and education she received from Lee teachers, counselors and administrators...and I know my son will have the exact same opportunity.

Posted April 18, 2009

As a current freshman of Robert E. Lee high school i have to say it is doing an excellent job of keeping its students going even in the time of this recession, due to budget cuts buses have been cut, but we brought ours back for sol review days, and due to the fact there there will be no buses next year for us afterschool, the new principal Abe Jeffers has implemented a new system where there will now be eight periods (school is still the exact amount of time) students have regular classes every day, but ever other day you have a fourth period called (lancer time) this is an 80 minute homeroom that is done in the entire school at the same time, and the teacher you are assigned lancer time to, will be the teacher that you will have it with until you graduate, in short Lee rules

Posted September 24, 2008

Really nice school, I enjoy learning here. Principal is fantastic and fair. All the teachers are amazing. Especially Mr. Mensh.

Posted May 3, 2008

As a parent I am grateful for the staff and teachers at Lee High School. I am especially happy with the individual attention my son received from his many outstanding teachers as well as the oversight of his sports coaches. The attention to the individual simply cannot be matched anywhere else in Fairfax county and I believe was a factor in my son's sucess at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

Posted March 29, 2008

Lee High School is pretty great. Based on my experience here I'd say bullies don't exist. Aside from ONE ridiculous teacher, they all care about their students and are dedicated to their success. Especially Mrs. Jahksen.

Posted January 11, 2008

Lee High School is a fantastic place to be! Teachers and Staff care about the students progress, and work to help them achieve their goals. There is something for everyone here and the principal makes sure the environment is safe and free from bullies. My 10th grade son LOVES his school and my 8th grade daughter can't wait to get there.

Posted September 8, 2006

Lee High School has a great principal who cares for and gets involved with the children. He does a a great job of ensuring all children have a great experience. Bully's are not welcom at Robert E. Lee High School

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

210 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

440 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

443 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

442 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

502 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

411 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

297 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students without disabilities93%
Limited English proficient students85%
Proficient in English92%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Key Middle School
Irving Middle School
Lake Braddock Secondary School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 34% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 36% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2012)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 10% (2012)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 19% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Virginia Tech
George Mason
Virginia Commonwealth Univer
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Urdu
Spanish
Japanese
French
Arabic languages
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

• 7:20 am
School end time
  • 2:05 pm
  • Mr. Abe Jeffers
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (703) 924-8397

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Amnesty international
  • DECA
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Drill team
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Homework help/study buddy club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • volunteer greeters

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Key Middle School
Irving Middle School
Lake Braddock Secondary School

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Virginia Tech
George Mason
Virginia Commonwealth Univer
College preparation / awareness offered
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Community college courses
College presentations or information sessions
College prep programs/courses during the year
Students' post-graduation plans in 2012