Orange Hunt Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 797 students

Student diversity

Posted June 14, 2014

In a nutshell, Orange Hunt Elementary has the potential to be a very good/great school. Many of the teachers care deeply for the students. Mrs. Kettler was amazing with our son a couple years back. Mrs. Frederick and the entire band/music department is excellent. I have heard lots said about the front office staff - mainly negative. I agree that this group of ladies is quite unfriendly, unwelcoming, and generally make you feel like you're "putting them out" when you ask the simplest thing, like to check out your child for a Dr. Appt., etc. This is a shame, because they are on the "front line" of interaction with the public and set the tone for the school. However, I believe the REAL problem is with leadership, or a lack thereof. The Principal does not demonstrate the traits of a leader when he is in front of parents. He comes across as inept and I believe he is in over his head at this school. It amazes me that the district would allow this to happen. This year, the entire PTA board resigned after struggling with school leadership. A change is needed at OHES. We've had an overall good experience sending 3 students here, but COME ON FFX CTY ISD....get a REAL leader please

Posted May 1, 2014

Yes the office staff is horrendous, very unfriendly & rude. Orange Hunt School & neighborhood does have a strange vibe. They are either warm, fuzzy & fabulous or extremely unfriendly. I have lived here for several years. We have had mostly great teachers and good experiences with the teachers. I have 1 in German & 1 not in German. I have not experienced the separation of German and not, quite the contrary. My kids have many friends in both programs. Also I have been to only a few of the German events and you do not need to be in the German to enjoy them. Actually most people who state this have never attended a German Event. Try one before you judge. Like any school it has some annoying parents, kids & teachers, I don't think that differs from most schools.

Posted March 20, 2014

We are very happy with the school. Teachers are accessible and creative. We love the German program. What a great opportunity for our children! An additional bonus are some cultural events like the lantern walk for Saint Martin. The office staff, principal and assistant principal have always been friendly and helpful.

Posted October 29, 2013

This is my daughter's first year at OHES. She was in another Fairfax County school for Kindergarten. This has been a great transition! Her teacher has communicated when needed and answered emails within a day. The principal is involved in events and you can tell he has a great relationship with students; he is friendly, positive and supportive. I was worried about being accepted by parents based on previous reviews but I have not experienced this. You just have to get involved where you can. I work full-time and can only volunteer if it is an evening event but everyone has been nice so far. I had no issues with office staff when I was checking on her transfer status. No school is ever going to be perfect, but my daughter is happy and I am happy and I am glad we moved to this school.

Posted October 23, 2013

This is our daughter's first year at Orange Hunt and she is having a fantastic experience. Her teachers are top notch - very warm, bright, and organized. As a former FCPS educator (currently staying at home full time with children) I am extremely impressed by the strength of the academics at Orange Hunt and by the supportive way in which students are challenged to work hard and strive beyond what is required. The communication between the school and home is very regular and detailed. It is also really nice that many of the children/parents stay after school on the playground. Orange Hunt has a terrific sense of community and our experience has been first rate.

Posted October 20, 2013

This school is terrible like other posts have said. The teachers have no attention to detail and do not want parents involved. There is a terrible group of cliquey parents who exclude other parents from participating. A lot of the staff is snobby and talk down to you as a parent. Awful school.

Posted September 20, 2013

We LOVE this school!! There's an old saying, you can't appreciate the good until you've experienced bad. Well, last year at a different school my daughter cried daily and faked sicknesses, she was in kindergarten, because she didn't want to go to school. OHES is a great school! She can't wait to go to school!!! The teachers are excellent and encourage hard work, independence and self worth, invaluable life skills in my opinion. The teachers are loving and understanding but strict, exactly what rambunctious children need. We couldn't be happier!!! The principal was kind and communicative the few times I spoke to him. Some people aren't able to see a great thing because they don't know what a bad school is really like...

Posted April 11, 2013

We've had our children in this school for 3 years and the teachers have been absolutely awesome. Our kids were behind in reading, and they brought them up to standard. Our oldest is now ahead of her grade-level reading. Our son is autistic, and the teachers and intervention staff have been supportive all along. Bullying is not tolerated. The principal and vice-principal make this school a great place for kids. There are numerous opportunities for parents to be involved.

Posted February 4, 2013

We moved here two years ago and I must say that we are very pleased with the teachers and the staff. There are schools across this nation that do not have half of what Orange Hunt offers and provides. Going to meetings, speaking with teachers, asking for and offering suggestions is a yearly process to enhance the school and the students time spent there. My children are very happy and want to go to school everyday.

Posted July 15, 2012

I have two girls attending Orange Hunt; one in the German program and one not. The school has been an excellent environment for both my daugthers and I am puzzled by the previous posts regarding the school principal. He is young, energetic, and engaging. He is at every event and has made the school overall less 'clicky' (before there was a sense of having to be in the German program to be special). There were some issues with an under performing Kindergarten teacher, which were addresed and she is no longer employed by the school. My daughters look forward to going to school every day and take pride in being 'Owls.' When my 1st grade daughter had issues adjusting I communicated by email with the teacher and she responded very quickly and resolved the issue. I am confident that OHES is preparing my kids well and giving them a quality education.

Posted June 1, 2012

We just recently moved our child out of Orange Hunt elementary school and we discovered that our child does not meet standards at another Fairfax county school. The grades given and feedback from Orange Hunt said that the child exceeded standards, but now the new school is addressing these shortcomings. We find this unacceptable and alarming. There is no relationship between teachers and parents and you are really treated as a hassle. The school principal is living in his own world, does not greet parents and avoids any confrontation. He is so unfit for this position in terms of people skills. The Orange Hunt school also has a really bad environment where any parent whom speaks out or complains in order to address concerns is labeled as going against the family(the school). The school also covers up any problems instead of addressing them and pretends there are no problems. The school is overall hyped up much more than what it really is. Keep your eyes open, proactivity assess your children, stand behind your children and speak out for your child; this school has most people fooled as to what is really going on.

Posted June 1, 2012

We had our children in the German immersion program because we thought it would be a good fit for them. They are fluent in German. Being a native German (30years+), one would think that I would know German, but according to the second grade teacher, who is not a German, my word knowledge was not sufficient. Wrong words were taught in math, but according to her, they were correct. English only speaking parents are in the dark due to the lack of understating. Parents should not have to put up with sub-standard teaching just to learn another language. The new principal is a disaster to say the least. This is his first year and one could only hope, for the school s sake, that he finds a new job away from Schools. He lacks any basic proper communicating skills to say the least. Is this school good? Not for parents who are actively involved in their children s education and are asking questions. We have been exposed to other Fairfax county schools and Orange Hunt does not meet the standards by far. There are by far much better schools in this area to choose from. Every school goes through good times and bad times; Orange Hunt is certainly on the down swing for sure.

Posted May 3, 2011

We have two children at Orange Hunt. This is the second year for my older child and she loves her teacher and is thriving at school. I will say, her teacher goes out of her way to ensure good communication with the parents, which really helps. I've been in to volunteer and always feel very welcome in her classroom. My younger child is in Kindergarten. The Kindergarten classes are over crowded due to budget concerns, and are only half-day programs, for the same reason. I'm not particularly worried about him, because he's already a strong reader and good at math, but I don't feel he's grown at all from anything done at school. All of his advancement this year is because I spend an hour each day working with him at home. I feel like the teachers are doing the best they can, but really, 27 Kindergartners is just too much for one class. The ones who need extra help or extra challenges are going to fall through the cracks. Other reviewers have mentioned the unfriendly office staff. I will admit, I have found them a bit cold myself, but the more I volunteer and the more they see me, the friendlier they have become. If you're having issues, try to be part of the solution.

Posted March 7, 2011

New to Orange Hunt this year. Fairfax County schools are great and my children have great teachers. My problem is with the office staff. They are the most unfriendliest stuck up bunch of people I ever met. They have a cold and callous way about them. At first I thought is was just me, but after reading reviews here I see others have experienced the same thing.

Posted February 14, 2011

I've been in the German program since 1st grade. Currently, I'm in 8th. I know that the first grade German teacher can be harsh but she is actually really nice! Make it through that year and you will have the best time of your LIFE in the German. It's like a family. All the kids stick together and there really aren't many bullies. I love this school. I did everything. From Patrols to News Crew. I really stress that THE GERMAN PROGRAM IS GREAT! I'm not even in high school and have 2 language credits.

Posted January 25, 2011

My daughter is in kindergarten at Orange Hunt. She is vision impaired, and the staff has been excellent. The administration support is fabulous. On the first day of school, the principal rode home on the bus with my daughter to ensure that the bus driver knew which stop my daughter was to get off at, and to assign a student helper. That alone put all of my fears at ease. It is a large school that is small in community. We love Orange Hunt.

Posted December 7, 2010

I LOVE orange hunt and i have been here for 7 years. I am a sixth grader and me and all my friends love our school to, And if your to snotty, stuck up, and spoiled to realize that, your loss.Sure they dont have the friendliest office staff, but the age of a teacher doesnt matter! Just beacause they are old doesnt mean they are a bad teacher! Orange hunt is the best elemtary school ever, Those sangster kids think they are so much better than us just cause they are in a gifted school that isnt even any better than orange hunt! Listen to your kids for a change instead of being selfish, your kids will say they love the school, take it from a student that went there for seven years. I LOVE my school

Posted November 6, 2010

Our son attended for 1st grade after "winning" a spot in the lottery. Although he learned German, his teacher was past retirement age and should have been retired a decade ago. The term "helicopter parents" was probably coined at this school, which we found out when turning in special assignments: the parents had completed them ! The front office staff were miserable, unpleasant at best and were rude numerous times over the nine months that we attended. The kiss and ride line was conducted like a military drill and the chiidren were constantly yelled at and called by a number, not their name. The worst straw that broke the camel's back was the day that - on my son's birthday - they shut the door in his face as he was walking in with arms loaded down with cupcakes...and we weren't even late! Wouldn't go back if you paid us.

Posted September 14, 2010

The most unfriendly staff and school! The Kindergarten program is a joke. We are fortunate that our 3rd grader got a good teacher. If I had known what I know now I would not have moved into this neighborhood with this school!

Posted June 15, 2010

One of our kids has special education needs and the "teacher" from Orange Hunt didn't help with any progression- didn't even listen when being spoken to! Spoke AT our child and heard what s/he wanted to hear. Administration and environment of the school is overall unfriendly. Our child didn't attend full time, but even with the few amount of visits there we still dreaded it. We recommend Sangster.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

104 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

All Students83%

White students95%
Students without disabilities95%
Limited English proficient students86%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students76%

Not economically disadvantaged90%
Students without disabilities93%
Proficient in English91%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Not economically disadvantagedn/a
Students without disabilitiesn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6820 Sydenstricker Rd