Springfield, VA

Posted October 28, 2014
The new principal is awesome, she is an excellent communicator, she responded to my email within the hour and followed up with me regarding my issue. She is very proactive, visible, and competent. We also love the community feel of the school and neighborhood.

Posted October 27, 2014
Ravensworth is a great school. My kids have made some wonderful friends and the immersion program is going to leave them a step ahead.

Posted May 13, 2014
We have had a wonderful time at this school. I also have a special needs child and have had a wonderful time with the program. The teachers have taken every suggestion and made more to make the learning experience great for this child. It has been so great that even know my child had the option to go to another school we did not take advantage of this option. My kids are not in the immersion program and have thrived and done well. I really appreciate that the teachers my kids have had holds them accountable to do their best - even if they kids are excelling. I do hope there is less of an emphasis on SOLs in the future but I do think my kids are learning and SOLs are a fact of life every student has to deal with. I don't have any experience with the new principal but I look forward to changes she has planned.

Posted January 26, 2014
We have been in the Ravensworth neighborhood and school for two years now, my son is in the second grade. He is not in the immersion program, I prefer that he gets his math and science skills down instead of a second language at this point. We are very excited about the new principal and the security changes she is making. The staff is always very kind to him, including the nurse who will call if he gets hurt, and his teacher is always open to communications with me. He is in a happy and secure environment, and we love that he can walk to school (with supervision of course)! He does not have special needs so I cannot speak for those folks, I can only say that we have been pleased. He is reading by leaps and bounds and he loves the art program as well.

Posted September 17, 2013
I have two children at Ravensworth Elementary who have had an overall positive experience with the school. We have a new principal who has already brought new energy and positive changes to the new year. I have never witnessed bullying at the school, but sincerely hope that the new administration will adhere to a no tolerance policy. Our children deserve a safe and happy learning atmosphere. Our school needs parent involvement in order to be successful and volunteers are greatly appreciated by the teachers and PTA!!! Ravensworth does have talented and caring staff and teachers in the immersion program! The first year can be overwhelming and I do hope that the new principal is able to restructure the curriculum and make the program more cohesive for the lower grades. I have heard from numerous families and have experienced with my own kids, that if you can get past the first year in immersion...it is rewarding and worth it. I am excited about the possibilities for our school and think we are on the road to excellence.

Posted September 16, 2013
I can't speak for the bullying complaints in previous reviews, but my experience with Ravensworth over the past 4 years has been mostly positive. The teachers are committed, the staff is fabulous, and with the new principal, we already see many much needed changes in the school. Sure, there are a few bad apples, but you get that at any school. The new administration has brought about a new energy and a new way of doing things, even in these first few weeks of school. Starting last year, the PTA has been committed to bringing in classroom hands-on STEM workshops, science fairs, chess club, after school fitness, Global language classes and so much more. Parents are involved in the school and there is always a large turnout for family fun activities like the ice cream social, bingo night, parents night out, movie night, etc. This school is making great strides to become one of the best in the area! I can't wait to rate this school 5 stars in a year or two!

Posted September 16, 2013
I have been a parent at Ravensworth Elementary for 5 years now. There have been ups and downs as there would be with any school. We are all super excited about the recent changes with the administration. There is a new level of energy that has already brought on positive changes and fostering a renewed sense of school spirit. We are also going to be undergoing a complete renovation over the next few years. My kids are in the Spanish immersion program. First grade is a challenge for many different reasons. Just get through it...some of the brightest, most gifted teachers are further along in the program. This school community is supported by two great neighborhoods (Ravensworth and Signal Hill). The type of neighborhoods where people know each other and come together to get things done. We have found a place where kids actually WALK to school! We could always use more volunteers, but we manage to do a lot of special programs above and beyond the general curriculum because parents step up and volunteer.

Posted August 10, 2013
Bullying behavior is accepted at this school as documented by several different families. It is unbelievable that the administration has no clue how to handle reports of bullying that are even witnessed by other students. Run, as far away as you can, if you happen to fall within their school boundaries. Just read other reviews on this site in regards to bullying. It is happening and is allowed to continue. How sad for the poor little victims who speaks up and are met with no solutions from administration. Clearly, it is a huge problem that continues year after year. We are glad this school no longer has any part of our child's life.

Posted June 19, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that bullying is still going on. My son also endured years of taunting by other students under the same administration. Even then the attitude was "Johnny you shouldn't do that" and that was that. My son still talks about being harassed and he graduated four years ago! There are teachers who are outright mean to the students. If a child is special needs or doesn't fit in Fairfax County's neat little box, don't expect understanding. If you can, look for another school. If not, good luck.

Posted June 18, 2013
The teachers are not to blame for this failing school. The administration is incompetent. If your child is middle of the road or can qualify for GT centers, you'll be fine. Anything else, you will be spending a lot of time fighting for what they need and know that this school will fight back, belittle you, insult you, and bully you. Bullying is out of control in this school and addressed but not enforced. All 3 of my children attended this school and all 3 hated it. All 3 endured bullying. It is not a happy place to be educated. Good luck.

Ravensworth Elementary School
5411 Nutting Dr, Springfield, VA  22151
Last modified Ravensworth Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ravensworth Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top