Newington Forest Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 641 students

Student diversity

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted October 7, 2013

Newington Forest has exceeded all of our expectation. Our children are consistently being challenged, the teachers are very hands-on, and the administration is very professional. Any families considering this school district will not be disappointed.

Posted September 24, 2013

Our children have attended Newington Forest since Kindergarten - we now have one in 6th and one in 4th. Overall we are extremely pleased with the school and the teachers. The sense of community is strong and the diversity is amazing. Experience wise it has been a blessing for our children to meet kids from all over the world.

Posted August 17, 2013

An excellent community school with friendly teachers and administrators who instilled a love of learning in my child. We have always felt welcomed and encouraged by everyone there. Newington Forest is a diverse community with a strong sense of parental involvement. We, unfortunately, will be moving to a new school but will miss our Newington Forest family!

Posted August 6, 2013

My son will be a second grader and just loves his school! As parents, we are very pleased with the dedication and hard work that all teachers including staff continuously show. Thank you Newington Forest Elementary!!!!!! Your hard work is noted!

Posted May 16, 2013

THIS SCHOOL IS BEYOND GREAT! MY DAUGTHER IS BEEN HERE SCENCE KINDERGARDEN AND I SACRIFICE NOT TO MOVE OUT OF THE AREA SO THAT SHE CAN FINISH IN THIS SCHOOL. WE ARE SO PROUD AND THANKFULL TO THE SCHOOL STAFF THANK YOU! :)

Posted January 9, 2013

we moved to the area Nov 2011 and I have been very happy with this school! The teachers really helped our kids transition easily from our move and they have addressed their needs quickly. By the time they ended their first semester, the needs of 2 of our children were noticed and means to help them started the following school year. (into the advanced classes and one child to speech). The staff is wonderful, approachable and kind. Definitely recommend!

Posted May 8, 2011

My children have been in Newington Forest for 5 years now. I am so impressed with the high quality of teachers who go above and beyond for my children. I have a Special Needs son and his needs have been met beyond my expectations. Teachers and Office staff are happy and welcoming. Mr. Kren is a great Principal who obviously has hired a staff that creates this wonderful environment for children and parents.

Posted May 8, 2011

Teachers,staff and parent relationships are above and beyond expe tations. Great experience for our family.

Posted May 8, 2011

Good school, excellent teachers/admin, good environment, very inclusive, glad to have had my children here. Keep up the great work.

Posted May 7, 2011

Excellent neighborhood school. Very warm and open environment. Every staff member is so positive and accommodating for parents and kids. Mr. Kren is a great Principal who is always making decisions based on what is best for kids. Thumbs up!

Posted May 7, 2011

Great School, wonderful teachers and administration. My children have flourished at this school. The quality of teachers and the positive climate at this school start from the example and great leadership from the Principal. Love this school!

Posted December 1, 2010

I can't say enough good things about Newington Forest. My children have been attending this school since 2005. One has graduated and moved on to middle school and the other is still in attendance. My oldest is thriving in middle school thanks to his education at NFS. The teachers, staff and administration are like a family to us. The PTA is well-organized and very involved. It is amazing to me that so many caring, wonderful people are gathered together in the same place. I wouldn't trade our experience at this school for anything!

Posted October 5, 2010

My child has gone to school here since 3rd grade 2 years ago, and loved it there. This year has been a very bad experience. The team of teachers that my child has this year are not to our satisfaction. My child is afraid of the teachers, and he/she is not the only one. I have informed leadership about this, and the yelling continues. This team is harsh, unflexible, and unreliable. Our parent info night seemed like a lecture night. I really want to switch my student, and If I had been given the choice earlier, I would have. I am NOT the only one who feels this way. How can my child continue to love school, when he/she is afraid to go? Makes me sad.

Posted October 14, 2008

My child has had amazing teachers throughout his time at Newington Forest. I'm grateful for how accessible the principals are and how the school works to address academic and behavioral concerns. It's a great neighborhood school!

Posted February 14, 2008

My kids are happy here and have learned an amazing amount of things in a short time. The teachers and staff are caring and take the time to address any concerns that parents and students may have. There are plenty of things to do and learn at Newington Forest!

Posted January 11, 2008

We moved to Springfield in June, 2007 from Ft Campbell, KY. So far I'm pleased with the school's curriculum, teachers, and administrative staff.

Posted February 28, 2007

Since Donna Lewis retired, the school and it's leadership started going down hill. The best thing the school had going for it was Mr Kraft (teacher) and he was promoted to AP at another school two years ago. The teachers no longer do anything extra with the kids like: making a movie in 4th grade, a 'real' Medieval feast with turkey and a big banquet of food, games and songs of that time, no more ' Classical Parents event' where the parents, kids and teacher read a book and have a fun activity afterwards. It seems to be just a job and nothing more to many teacher. It's sad to see this happen and hopefully things will change for the better.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted April 1, 2005

I will only say this. My husband has been deployed for over 5 months now and has several more to go. If it weren't for Mr. Kraft (6th grade), I think my head would have crushed from pressure. I think all teachers should be molded and trained from him. He is by far the best teacher I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, working with, and to educate my child. He has CONSTANT contact with me, whether I initiate it, or not. I know my son's level at all times. I can not say that about my other son, but I can say this about Mr. Kraft/my son. I really wish every teacher could come from his mold. I love the school, the activities they offer are INCREDIBLE! We have to transfer, but I can't bring myself to withdraw them!

Posted March 15, 2005

What impresses me most about this school is their ability to acommodate learners at all different levels. Students are pre and post-tested for each lesson and are then grouped accordingly. The multi-age classes are wonderful and we feel they have contributed much to our children's learning experience. The teachers are wonderful, highly educated and just plain excellent. Our children have attended three other schools in the last five years, and Newington Forest exceeds these schools by a wide margin. We plan to stay here just so our kids can attend this school.

Posted November 20, 2004

I just moved here from California and I can see the improvement in my children's learning! I'm lucky to be part of this school.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

97 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students63%

Students without disabilities90%
Limited English proficient students96%
Proficient in English85%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students56%

Students without disabilities97%
Limited English proficient students86%
Proficient in English98%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students without disabilitiesn/a
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8001 Newington Forest Ave