Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

My kids transferred this year and so far I have felt that the teachers and administration have done a fantastic job. My only concern is the lack of homework but perhaps it is something I should enjoy and trust that work is don't during the day.

Our son recently transferred from OHES. We loved the principal and staff there, and we nervous about changing to the larger Sangster. Our nervousness has been erased, and we have been consistently blown away by the outstanding principal and staff of Sangster. We have never experienced such a high level of communication, care and concern before. No matter what the issue, whether schoolwork, classroom or bus-related, someone is always quick to find a solution and help us work through it. Our son hasn't made many friends, but thanks to his wonderful teacher, he excited every day to board the bus (esp. on Friday STEM days). Big thank you to everyone. Oh, and not sure what beef the previous reviewer had with the principal, but if you can't spell principal correctly...I'm not going to take your review of Sangster too seriously.

The new principle is awful. So many great teachers have left because of the new leadership team. In my opinion, the School Board needs to take a closer look at what is going on.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

You will hit and miss with each year.. most of the teachers are great. I could not say the same about the new principal.

Amount of homework: Agree

For the AAP class, I think it is just right. For regular classes, not enough.

Develops character: Neutral

When many great teachers are leaving Sangster, then it is not fair for the students who are attending Sangster.

There were so many teachers leaving Sangster when school end this year. All three AAP teachers quitted Sangster and moved to other school. The numbers of teachers moved on from Sangster is alarming and I am not sure why the Fairfax County School Board is not looking into this matter and find out why. My guess would be the principal and vice principal. It is going downhill with this new leadership and the school board needs to take action before it gets worse.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The current AAP teachers are the best that our child has ever had. Would like to see more oversight of one of the Spanish teachers.

Amount of homework: Agree

For AAP we were surprised at how little homework was assigned, compared to other schools. However, the homework that was assigned was thoughtful and targeted. No useless busywork!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Students are graded according to their effort and improvement, rather than competing for grades. This has allowed our child to compare classwork results with peers in a positive way where students help review each other's work but the focus is on improvement, not scores.

Last modified Sangster Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.