Stafford, VA

Posted June 03, 2014
My children are thriving at Garrisonville ES. The teachers and staff truly work as a team to give the students the best possible education and experience a child can get at school. The classroom teachers treat each child as an individual. Though I'd like for the class sizes to be smaller, classes are broken into small groups who work with para-educators and the teacher to address the needs of every level. Parents are encouraged to volunteer in the classroom, and they can be seen in all areas of the school. Parents are welcome here, which makes GES feel like a community! My military family has attended four other elementary schools in three other states, but none compare to Garrisonville's attention to the children's needs, their kind and informative manner with parents, and the community building that GES has. All of these factors combined show in this school's academic achievement.

Posted May 29, 2014
This truly is a school that cares about children and providing them with a positive, nurturing environment in which to learn. I know there was a negative comment on the SST meetings being overemphasized, but I don't believe that is possible. SST meetings allow parents the opportunity to sit down with the teacher and administration to come up with strategies to help their child who might be struggling anywhere from a lot to a little. Having just returned from an SST meeting for my son only moments ago, I am grateful for the faculty and staff at Garrisonville who are dedicated to helping my child learn the best way possible for him. They quickly took the supportive documentation I provided from both visual and occupational therapists, as well from my child's doctors and counselors and immediately got back with me to come up with a 504 plan for my son. They worked side by side with me as we came up with an effective strategy for my son to learn to the best of his abilities. I am left grateful and in awe of how much the staff here puts in to helping each and every student. Thank you GES for caring so much about our kids!

Posted May 28, 2014
GES is awesome! We are a military family and have a few schools to compare it with and think GES is top notch! The parent involvement is like non we have seen before. The school has great resources and the administration goes out of their way to find creative ways to pay for extra programming and technology. Every class has a smart board or equivelant, there are iPad and Chrome Book classroom sets, and the school offers a variety of extracurricular activities ranging form Spanish and American Sign Language to a Gator Book Club. The teachers are fantastic. There has been a recent change in leadership-two principals in three years but the most recent principal is committed. She is strong, intelligent, and organized. The school attempts to balance a whole student approach within a test and results oriented system. I think some parent complaints regarding teachers is the result of recent turnover and a young cadre of new teachers. Seasoned teachers as well as coaching and leading from the administration will help bring all of the teachers onto the same playing field.

Garrisonville Elementary School 1

Posted May 23, 2014
We purchased a home in this school district because this school was rated highly. However, after having our child there for two years and having two very complacent teachers we are fed up. This year, a month into the school year, the teacher was already talking about holding back our child. If you go into this teacher's classroom she has mounds of paper, she's very unorganized, and has an out of control class room. We have pictures and have seen it first hand. They are all about scores not teaching a clear and concise curriculum. This school does have many really good teachers but please do your research and ask other parents before you get stuck with the bad ones because the bad ones are REALLY bad. I am college educated and have a family full of teachers, retired teachers, doctors, engineers, lawyers and judges. They have all said what we have been through just isn't right but unfortunately these teachers are tenured and just don't care. You can complain all you want but the teachers will never get marks against them. Good luck to those enrolling your children.. you'll need it ;)

Garrisonville Elementary School 2

Posted February 24, 2014
This school is horrible. The teachers only care about the SOLs. They over utilize SST meetings as a way to weed out children that they don't feel will enhance their SOL scores. Instead of working with the parents , the administration is first to make snap decision for their perceptions of the family unit and look for low hanging fruit options such as medication for the child instead of truly teaching. Family values are disregarded for the sake of a buck# SOL scores= teacher's salaries and bonuses.

Posted January 13, 2014
As a military family coming from out out town I was very nervous about choosing a home and school in Stafford. We have been nothing but pleased so far with Garrisonville. They really seem to care about their kids!

Garrisonville Elementary School 1

Posted August 27, 2013
The principal of the schoool is horrible. She needs a lot of coaching and training before even being considered an ok principal. I moved my child out of this school because of her lack of professionalism, they should have left her in Spotsylvania county.

Garrisonville Elementary School 4

Posted October 29, 2011
This is an excellent school. Student learning styles are utilized to help every child succeed. The teachers are always trying to 'figure' out their kids to best teach them. Music and art are especially wonderful.

Garrisonville Elementary School 3

Posted August 01, 2011
The education in this school is top notch, my oldest scores at reading and math are beyond anything I could have expected. That being said it comes at a price. The children get a minimum amount of playtime outside. While that its good for the test scores children need to play some also. This school needs to balance its efforts between education and interaction. School should be fun as well as educational. Simple fix 20 min in the morning, at lunch and in the afternoon. Adults expect breaks, even have it written into labor agreements, I think children should have some of the same.

Posted February 21, 2010

Garrisonville Elementary School
100 Wood Dr, Stafford, VA  22556
Last modified Garrisonville Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garrisonville Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top