Park Ridge Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 677 students

Student diversity

Posted May 1, 2014

We are very happy with this school. We have had the most wonderful experiences with Ms. Peterson a third grade teacher. She inspires the students to love learning.

Posted February 15, 2014

This is a school who loves it's students and tries to meet the needs of each one. Compassionate teachers, especially in the special education capacity. Highly recommend this school; our two children enjoyed going there.

Posted January 21, 2013

We are very Happy! Great PTO involvement! We love our teacher! Great programs. PE twice a week.

Posted May 13, 2012

I was a graduate. I was S.C.A president in 2010-2011 school year. I t was the best school ever and I recommend it .

Posted November 8, 2011

This is an amazing school. The teachers and staff go above and beyond the call of duty for your child. If your child has special needs they will do everything they can to help.

Posted November 4, 2008

I love this school. My children are in first grade and kindergarten. The teachers in both grades utilize notebooks that my children bring home daily. We use it as a tool to communicate with each other. Also, my children bring home weekly newsletters that tell me what areas will be covered that week in addition to daily homework assignments. I am pretty happy with security in the school. The school has a rigid security plan. The office staff is helpful and friendly. PTO is great and host many fundraising and community based events. I like the school's drop off and pick up from school system. It is very organized and emphasizes child safety. Keep in mind that a child can not be dropped off earlier than 8:35 a.m. My children have PE twice a week and weekly have music, art, and go to the library.

Posted May 1, 2008

My son spent two years here and we are sad to leave overall. The kindergarten year last year was the best-we have a fantastic teacher who, unfortunately, moved. Our fist grade year has not been as successful. The teacher is extremely nice and loves the children but doesn't challenge them at all. When we have asked, she tells us how much she loves the children. My son has done well but because the bar is set so low, I think he has lost ground and am disappointed with that. The office is amazing-they do such a wonderful job of knowing all the children and their parents. They encouraged the parents to help out as much as possible. The activities offered at night are always a hit with the kids. I don't have any contact with the administration so I can't add anything in that area. All in all-it's been great.

Posted April 17, 2008

Our youngest daughter went to second and third grade at PRES. I wasn't impressed the first year we were there --- the teacher didn't fit the style of authority that my child needed. We had just moved there the week before school, so we didn't have an opportunity to find a teacher/student fit. However, her third grade year was phenomenal!!! With my volunteer hours and the student/teacher fit being more in-line with the teaching style my daughter needed, we were much happier and loved PRES! Sad to say, we had to move and miss everyone and everything about this school. From the phenomenal gym teachers, cafeteria workers, bus drivers, front office staff and teaching staff to the amazing parents -- this school has it all!

Posted March 16, 2008

I have one child that has gone to PRES and is now in middle school, one currently in PRES and one coming next year to PRES. The school is awesome with the administrative staff, teachers and overall atmosphere. The teachers my children have had went above and beyond to ensure there sucess not only academically but to address their individual needs. It has always been a warm and inviting school with an available policy to meet with either the administration and/or teachers. Parents are welcome in the classroom to volunteer and helpout. It has been an wonderful experience for my children and our family. I would not want to change schools!

Posted October 27, 2007

My child transferred to PRES in 2006 and I have experienced on many occasions the lack of communication from my childs' teachers. I find it extremely difficult to get answers from the teachers - past and present. I am unable to speak or meet with the Principal as no one returns email, phone calls, etc. I am very involved with my child's education and school activities and volunteer when the time allows.

Posted September 13, 2007

I have three children at this school, one of whom has been there from first grade and is now in fifth. Academically, this school has been superb for all of my children. Socially, I love the close community atmosphere, the sincerity and caring of the teaching staff, and the espoused values of the school. There are a few teachers I'd avoid, but the superstars far outnumber them. Also, the school gives you the opportunity to submit requests that match your student's learning style to the faculty teaching style.

Posted July 24, 2007

This is definitely an excellent school. It was my first year for my child and I couldn't have had a better experience. We have since moved and from what the teachers have seen from my daughter she is ahead of the learning game. The teachers were great, admin was great, PRES was just a great school that we'll miss very much!

Posted April 5, 2007

This school as it pertains to the education of my children is tolerable. As far as my thoughts on some of the faculty members, well lets just say... I'm counting the days left till the end of the school year so I don't have to deal with them anymore. Parents BEWARE! Oh, everyone's nice until you have a problem. Then all lack of descent communication goes out the window.

Posted September 10, 2006

I absolutely love PRES! My son is currently in his 3rd year. He has learned a lot and loves to go to school. I have been an active parent in his education and volunteering at school. They have wonderful committees for parents to be a part of their child's education. The teachers are superb & very accessible. They have wonderful programs for kids to excel. The only improvement would be more recess time.

Posted March 31, 2006

PRES is a very good school. My son has attended K-3 grade there. His teachers provided excellent curriculum. He has excelled well. There are music, art classes which are taught by specific teachers. There PE classes taught basic skills required to excell in sports at there age. As for parent involvement, we were very involved with our son's classroom and scholl. There are also many dedicated parents that ensure extracurricular activities are completed, such as field trips, carnivals, and basket bingo, etc...

Posted January 19, 2005

Janet, Please do not make blanket statements about something you know nothing about. There are 2 exceptional, administrative ladies(in the copy room!) who work at our school. they are such an asset to the overall mission of creating the exceptional environment that my children attend each and every day. I taught elementary school for many years. I would like to think that I am quaified to say that most of the staff at Park Ridge ES are some of the finest I have EVER observed! You would be hard pressed to find a finer school community anywhere. Look at our test scores, and talk to the staff. I can assure you, Your children will thrive. Sign me, a happy mom of four from Park Ridge.

Posted January 4, 2005

I have am not happy with the school; the way it is run, some of the teaching staff, lack of care to detail. A working knowledge of the English language seems lacking among some of the teaching staff.

Posted November 23, 2003

I went to Park Ridge Elementary, I loved that school!! It has the best teachers but... the best teacher I ever had was Mrs.Parks...I'll never forget her she really was the best.

Posted November 12, 2003

Parkridge is a fantastic school. They care about your child and provide a safe and caring learning environment for every student. Not only in the academics but in character. They are the patriot pups and their pride shows in each of the students.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

128 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

Not economically disadvantaged88%
Students with disabilities45%
Students without disabilities92%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students72%

Students with disabilities45%
Students without disabilities78%
Proficient in English76%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2000 Parkway Blvd