Posted November 24, 2014
After six years at St William of York, it feels like home. The academic rigor is challenging, yet reasonable. Adding the Latin, Saxon Math, and Excellence in Writing programs were wonderful recent additions. The authentic Catholic culture is unmatched in the area. Many extra-curricular activities are available. My child has done choir, band, baseball, cheerleading, school newspaper, girls club, art club, even Engineering for Kids! My child is safe and well cared for at their extended care program. All of her teachers have shown a strong passion for teaching. Some have been young and inexperienced, but all have shown a great love for our children. When problems arose, as they always do, teachers were eager to help. Our principal is a caring administrator with a passion for teaching truth and goodness with only the best interest of our children in mind. No school is perfect, but the unkind reviews posted below say much more about the writers than they do the subject. I highly recommend St William of York to any parents wanting to offer their children a safe haven from the secular public schools, challenging academics, and an opportunity to learn and love their Catholic faith.

St. William of York Catholic School 2

Posted November 19, 2014
The Principal is very nice and approachable (maybe a little too nice and less assertive). The front office staff is just as nice and helpful. However, 60% of this school's teaching staff is questionable as it pertains to the high percentage of young, inexperienced teachers who exhibit the following characteristics: Lack of Content Knowledge, Lack of Professionalism, Poor Judgment, and Poor People Skills. The school needs more teachers who consider the following: What could I have done differently? What assignment could I have changed? Are there things I should do regarding texts, approaches, assessments that better connect to the student?" SWOY allows parent-teachers to teach their own children, giving the appearance of favoritism and influence in many instances (e.g. grades, awards, etc.). On a scale of 1 to 10, we give this school a "4" for K-8 education. Their pre-school program is top rate! The Pre-school Director and her staff are very professional, kind, and caring. I recommend SWOY for parents with Pre-K children.

Posted September 06, 2014
We are going into our 2nd year at SWOY and I'm surprised by some of these reviews. No school is perfect and there is always room for improvement, but overall we've been very happy here. The principal has an open door policy and is very approachable. SWOY has a great sense of community and the kids are surrounded by many wonderful, Catholic families. I'm hopeful that the issues we saw in our first year (especially teacher retention and communication) will continue to improve.

Posted August 28, 2014
St. William of York Catholic School encourages open communication with all parent stakeholders with a view toward continuous improvement, and we recognize the importance of personal, face to face conversation as a vital step toward effecting change. Our principal is just a phone call away for parents and prospective parents to engage in meaningful conversation about and on behalf of our students and school. Our enthusiastic and growing team of parent leaders is a tribute to this collaboration.

Posted August 17, 2014
Poor Leadership, principal is inadequate! We have since moved our kids from this school! Spare yourself, save your time and money! Other great Private schools in the area!!

Posted August 11, 2014
Before enrolling your child in any school in the Diocese of Arlington, please read the "Policy on the Protection of Children" on the diocesan web site. It was my experience in the past that neither the leadership of this school, nor that of the affiliated church, nor even key members of the Diocese, chose to follow this policy's guidelines to protect one of its students from physically abusive behavior. I was surprised to learn that not even the child's family was informed by the school. I sincerely hope that everyone from the school to the Chancery has learned from its past mistakes. Adults at the school - and this includes parents - should be advocates for every child. If you see something wrong, correct it. Make a fuss. Kids are worth it. Children need our love and our protection - even in a Catholic school. Teachers, principals, and priests are not without fault. If you see a wrong, speak out! Sin loves silence.

Posted July 31, 2014
First, I'll say that my child's teachers were wonderful but they are limited by the actions and in-actions of the PRINCIPAL. We enrolled our child at St. William of York Catholic School thinking that private education would be more focused on giving her advantages later in school. What a mistake! This school has a principal that is less than unsatisfactory. I personally thinks he does not really care about the children. Last winter was brutal; however, if i want my child to be home when public school is out i would have sent them to public school and not pay for private school. The fact is that when you are paying so much for private education we expect it to be good or at least worth it. The principal loves to speak and just will not keep quiet long enough to listen to concerned parents. He always has something to do except address the issue at hand. We took our child out of the school and moved to another private school. Thinks to think about: - Would you pay for your child to take a trip to the cafeteria? - Why pay for a day off because its cold outside? Parents - be aware and ask the tough questions before enrolling your child/children.

Posted October 18, 2013
This is my child's second year here, and we have been very satisfied. Great teachers and staff, and the principal is very accessible and approachable. Good variety of school activities, both inside and outside of the classroom. Very dependable after school care with teachers who do more than just "watch" the kids.

Posted July 24, 2013
Our son is an incoming 1st grader and attend last year in Kindergarten. His teacher and the teacher's aide are hands down one of the BEST teacher combos in the school. Really hands, readily available to talk if needed, super connected with the children and believe that not all children learn in the same ways or pace (that was the biggest plus for me as my son is not a traditional learner but more a visual and auditory learner). There have been quite a few teacher departing but I remain hopeful that the high level set at the Kindergarten level will continue as our son goes thru. Parents are also very involved and encourage to participate and be active in the school community.

Posted October 11, 2012
My two daughters attended this school from 2009 to 2012. When they transferred to another Catholic school, they did really well. St William of York prepared them to easliy grasp math, science, and English. In addition, this school prepared them to work in teams such as playing on the school's basketball and volleyball teams.

St. William of York Catholic School
3130 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Stafford, VA  22554
Last modified St. William of York Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. William of York Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top