PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Caveat Emptor! We enrolled our son about six months ago. At that time, we advised the principal that we would need to discuss my son’s special needs. At the previous school he attended this was never an issue and my child was an A student. His success was due to a concerted effort on our part as his parents and on the school’s part as exceptional educators. The staff at SWOY never had time to meet with us, there was no plan put in place for our son (even though my son’s previous school provided them with a plan), and his grades began to reflect the lack of effort. My son would have tests on information that never came home. My son spent hours learning religion but the Language Arts and Math curriculums were rudimentary at best. This school talks a good game and gives parents the lip service they want to hear in person, but you quickly realize the emperor isn’t wearing any clothes. I was horrified to watch my son begin to feel singled out. I can look around the halls of SWOY and see why American school children are not competitive with their foreign counterparts. It’s because our teachers aren’t competitive with their foreign counterparts. Is this really the future of American education? Someone needs to remind this school that many of the greatest minds in U.S. history came with learning disabilities: George S. Patton, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, and the ultimate Catholic leader himself; John F. Kennedy. Some teachers excel when their classroom is filled with “cookie cutter” children who require little effort. SWOY wanted to turn my child into a C student because that’s easier than doing the job that a good teacher feels inclined and compelled to do; reach all children. My son will do well in spite of this school and not because of it. There is an irony in the fact that the word “catholic” means universal, and yet, this school is anything but an environment which helps all. The dogmatic attitude of the Church, which perpetuated so much ill will in centuries gone by, is alive and well in the halls of SWOY. It’s this attitude which provided me with “confirmation” that my decision to walk away from the Catholic faith many years ago was such a good one. The school would also benefit immensely from a web-based application where homework assignments, lesson plans, and grades can be posted.

Buyer Beware! SWOY Catholic School provides a wonderful first impression. I must begin by stating that the teachers at the school truly care about their students and attempt to take every step necessary to provide a quality Catholic education. The roadblock in place that prevents the school from reaching its true potential is the principal. I speak from experience, that he is the most self-serving individual I have ever encountered. He will listen closely, take notes, provide perspective – all wonderful traits of a leader; except for when it comes to action. The typical resolution to any issue is to ignore it. He quietly mans the helm of a rudderless ship. His main priority is enrollment, and he will sell you the farm to fill another seat. If you enjoy volunteering, or being involved in your child’s education, this is not the place for you. The principal hand picks his support, to include the PTO staff – no election here… You will also find that once the “volunteer” he has in each selected role realizes that they have zero influence, they typically do not return the following year – on average 80%-90% turnover with each volunteer role every year. Please do not misinterpret my comments, as the school is full of wonderful people. If you are able to overlook the poor leadership currently in place, you will not be disappointed by the teachers, the student body and their families.

We are a new family to SWOY and you can judge a school and it's staff by how they treat the most vulnerable and helpless child. Our daughter has special needs and the principal has offered to allow her to attend school with her brother. They accept her not because they are mandated by federal law, as in public schools, but because they have the hearts of servants.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Our Catholic faith is a part of everything that the teachers and students do together. As part of our faith, students are developing honesty, integrity and fairness.

this school is unrecommend by me because none of the teachers care and the principal does not even care.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

i have had many children complain that some of these teaches don't even care and they do the same thing everyday with no change and nothing interesting happens and that they are not challenged enough

Amount of homework: Agree

i feel that the homework is okay and that in some classes could be less but its not over done.

Develops character: Disagree

there is favoritism from what i have seen ,and i have heard incredibly rude comments from some teachers.

We are a military family who have moved our children to many different schools. St. William of York School and Parish have been a blessing to our entire family. The authentic Catholic Culture and education that this school offers is excellent. The teachers are enthusiastic, readily available to parents and are dedicated to every student. The Administration also has an "open door" policy and are easily approachable and helpful at any time. St. William of York Catholic School truly is a family. The sports and after school activities are rapidly growing and can only continue to succeed. Our children have thrived at St. William of York!

We are very happy with the education our children are receiving at St. William of York Catholic School. The Catholic Culture is first and foremost with each and everything at the school. Academically, our children are receiving a great education from teachers who are knowledgeable about the subject matter. We like the family environment that continues from the school into the Parish. We feel we made the right choice in sending our children here!

Last modified St. William of York Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8